My biggest fear cruising

david_sobe

7 minutes ago, Paphillyguy said:

You really should think about the words you use on a daily basis.   

Certain words (moron, imbecile, idiot) are medical definitions that the general public starts to use as an insult. When the insult becomes too popular, the medical profession starts to use another word (retarded) which the general public will start to use as an insult. 

(language not safe for work)

Pushing, shoving, ignoring those around them, narcissism, etc don’t really play well on ships sailing from U.S. ports. That may play in their home locales, but as the videos point out, it doesn’t net positive responses for those cruises leaving from the U.S.

Those behaviors are amplified on a ship.  A little common courtesy goes a long way.  Harder for some to understand, which baffles me, regardless of geographic differences.

Well said...
  • Like 1

I managed to find a couple of articles about what actually happened on the Joy that made NCL decide to withdraw it from the Asian market. It was shocking. Don has a trip coming up next year on exactly one of those types of cruises, but with a different line. I think he has made a very bad personal decision, and is going to have a very, very, bad trip. I think that he has his own code of conduct and notions of acceptable behaviour, and he is going to experience severe cultural dissonance.

If you are wondering about exactly what sort of things went on on the Joy I would encourage you to try Google and read actual articles from Asian newspapers and magazines.

I have travelled fairly extensively, and what he posted on his video is considered quite normal in many countries. That is why I no longer travel to them. 

20 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

You should really spend your day worrying about something else.

I was just pointing out that perhaps you should think about your choice of words.   Obviously, you do not care and that is your choice.  I think that to use such words as an insult is just offensive and displays a lack of education or understanding.  

About cultural norms.....very often I read in a newspaper about how not understanding

each other's cultural norms can  lead to tragedy. There was a shop owner who would routinely

put the customer's change on the counter instead of handing it to them. In his country

it was considered impolite to touch another person's hand that they did not know. The

customer got really mad because he felt the shop owner was disrespecting them

because in his country if you think someone is lower class than you that is what you do.

Can't exactly remember what happened but I think someone really got hurt.

One of the greatest strengths of the US is our diversity but it also causes challenges.

I agree with the person who said that culturally it is different in the north and the south.

Once when living in the south I told someone they didn't need to bring anything to contribute

to the dinner. Where I used to live it was normal for the hostess to supply all the food.

On two separate occasions people got mad and said that you don't tell people around

here not to bring food. It is the highest insult ?????So from now on I just say bring anything

you want LOL

@elwood_98034

I'm sure it's me, as I'm a little behind the times.  But, you made reference to "tall poppies".  Aside from the plant, does this have a meaning I'm just not getting?

You mentioned "Don"...may I ask who he is?

Looked for Google reviews of the NCL Joy and I was either directed to links from travel agents, NCL or here at CC.

I'm clearly missing something, but I don't know what.

I ask because I'm looking at the Joy for my next cruise.

Edited by graphicguy

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@elwood_98034

I'm sure it's me, as I'm a little behind the times.  But, you made reference to "tall poppies".  Aside from the plant, does this have a meaning I'm just not getting?

You mentioned "Don"...may I ask who he is?

Looked for Google reviews of the NCL Joy and I was either directed to links from travel agents, NCL or here at CC.

I'm clearly missing something, but I don't know what.

I ask because I'm looking at the Joy for my next cruise.

Don is the travel agent who did the video as the OP. He can be 'fussy'. He has a very good Youtube channel where he is essentially a cruise critic. He's good. 'Don's Family Vacations'.

As for 'tall poppies', poppy fields are usually very uniform in height. If one is even just a tiny bit taller it will be extremely noticeable. 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' is the social analogy. How it works is some people go out of their way to live exceptional lifestyles due to a (usually totally unjustified) sense of superiority. What then happens society as a group automatically takes corrective action to prove to them that they aren't actually exceptional in any way. It is a cultural thing seen in societies that strive to be egalitarian. Where I come from Don wouldn't have been sitting in his cabin complaining about the noise, as a fair proportion of the passengers on the ship would have already taken it upon themselves to attended the cabin in question, and offer enthusiastic encouragement for them to remain very quiet for the rest of the cruise, and possibly even send the music producing device over the side. If they chose not to remain quiet, probably every time someone walked past their cabin they would have hammered on their door until they got the message. Even if they did go quiet, people would probably still hammer on their door just for the fun of it, and to remind them not to do it again next time. Get the idea? You live an exceptional lifestyle, and you get exceptional treatment. 

Here are a couple of articles that you can Google for what happened with the Joy on it's previous deployment. Read carefully, and think slightly laterally, as these are highly sanitised versions of what was going on from what I have read elsewhere:

International cruise companies pull out of China, but some still see market potential

Overseas cruise operators leave China after misreading market

Angry Chinese tourists stage another noisy ‘patriotic’ protest after fog forces cruise ship to stay in port

There are others, but I don't have time to go looking for them for you. One in particular referred to  coffee machines being stolen and posted home, one woman who proudly said that she was attempting to eat her own body weight on a three day cruise, fighting in the buffet lines, spitting on the carpet, and people lining up outside the cafe at 6.00am so they could be first through the door. Apparently NCL put out little cards asking people to only take what food that they planned to actually eat, as there was so much wastage. According to the article the little signs were largely ignored. Verbal abuse of staff was also mentioned. The bottom line was there was allegedly a lot of unacceptable behaviour, and the ship wasn't profitable.

Note: Before anyone flames me, I am just reporting what I read. Like I said, Google it yourself.