Viking Venus Maiden Voyage

Haworth

I found this on Cruisemapper for the Venus:

7 day Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage/relocation) from the Mediterranean to UK (from $2000 pp)

Date / Time Port
26 Jan Departing from Barcelona, Spain
27 Jan Cartagena, Spain
28 Jan Malaga, Spain
30 Jan Vigo, Spain
01 Feb Portsmouth UK, England
02 Feb Arriving in Tilbury-London, England

1 hour ago, cruisinchrissy said:

Hi DGHOC ,

Great to hear from you. I agree with your thoughts on the Med in Jan too.

sounds like a fabulous opportunity.

We are looking forward to it !!

Oh lovely to hear from you too Chris, hope you're both well! 

Sounds fab doesn't it, I'm always happy to do Rome and Barcelona at any time, adore them both!! It really will be great to catch up with everyone again. We look forwards to hearing more detail from Viking. 

All good wishes to both of you x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiredman said:

I found this on Cruisemapper for the Venus:

7 day Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage/relocation) from the Mediterranean to UK (from $2000 pp)

Date / Time Port
26 Jan Departing from Barcelona, Spain
27 Jan Cartagena, Spain
28 Jan Malaga, Spain
30 Jan Vigo, Spain
01 Feb Portsmouth UK, England
02 Feb Arriving in Tilbury-London, England

This is not the inaugural cruise - the 18th through the 25th is. But you're correct that this itinerary is the repositioning that is then followed by the beginning of the Northern Lights runs. The Barcelona-London cruise is currently open to the public. Most tempting to do a B2B. 

OK...I'll probably go for this, but if it were any other than the inaugural sailing that is so kindly being offered to us, I suspect I'd glance briefly and then pass right over this cruise if I noticed it in a brochure! A land tour of Italy appeals to me greatly, but for whatever reason a mediterranean itinerary has always been pretty low on my list as far as cruising goes. Hopefully this cruise would perhaps change my mind about that area. Never been so have to keep an open mind. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

11 hours ago, JDincalif said:

We're delighted with the itinerary for the reasons DGHOC described, for the privilege of a complimentary inaugural cruise, and for the opportunity to celebrate with Viking Sky survivors. Hope to see many of you in 2021.

Well stated!!  I'll do my best to adopt a more positive and enthusiastic attitude towards this trip....guess I have to admit that, while I do enjoy cruising greatly - though haven't done all that many especially relative to lots of those here on CC -  my wife and I are basically more land-tour (especially car trip) travelers at heart. And so we choose cruises very selectively - and somewhat sparingly I suppose -  based on whether or not it's really someplace that we want to see. At the risk of sounding somewhat irresolute, I would never consider myself one of those who likes to cruise solely for the sake of cruising. I think, anyway, that there's a distinct difference in approach - and thus hope it helps to explain my hesitancy. I'll have to work on 'selling myself' the idea of going to that part of the world (by cruise ship anyway). 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

Other Viking ships do a 7-night (8-day) Rome-to-Barcelona cruise; 15 are scheduled between 11/19 and 10/21.

There are two variations of the itinerary:

Version 1:

1.       Rome, Italy

2.       Livorno (for Pisa/Florence), Italy

3.       Livorno (for Pisa/Florence), Italy

4.       Monte Carlo, Monaco

5.       Marseille, France

6.       Montpellier, France

7.       Barcelona, Spain

8.       Barcelona, Spain

Version 2:

1.       Rome, Italy

5.       St. Tropez, France

6.       Marseille, France

The only difference is swapping Montpellier with St. Tropez. Alas, no sea days!

The overnight in Livorno could be useful for a longer, overnight visit to Florence, but who wants to be off the ship one night on such a short cruise?

Anyway, it’s way too soon to plan…..but it sure has me thinking already!

Symmes....thanks for this additional info! Somehow I wouldn't have expected an overnight port (let alone two) with such a short sailing. I agree....thinking about the various possibilities for this is intriguing. Since it is (apparently) not going to be offered - at least initially - as a public cruise, I have to wonder if the usual pre or post-extensions will be offered?

Been thinking about this ever since getting the email, and I believe there are only 3 scenarios in which I'll do this trip:  1) if there is a pre and post-extension (especially pre in Rome) offered  2) if I'd decide to add the Barcelona-London cruise, making the trip a B2B. Others will undoubtedly just go it on their own in Rome (or Barcelona...or wherever else for that matter) if wishing to lengthen the trip, but I've never been comfortable with the idea of arranging my own travel in another country (except for Canada). Without either of these options, having it only be a 7-day trip makes it rather unattractive. I promised myself long ago already that I'll not spend the money to fly to Europe for less than 2 weeks (or at least reasonably close to). Surely won't do it for just a week. That being said, IF Viking is going to pay airfare - that could be a different story, but still not sure I'd go for that short a time. 

As you said, really WAY too soon to plan this. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

How do you know what the itinerary is? 

Traveling from Rome to Barcelona on a brand new ship as guests of Mr. Hagen! Seriously though, we see this as an unexpected opportunity to explore and create more memorable experiences along the way. 😉

Edited by JDincalif
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Traveling from Rome to Barcelona on a brand new ship as guests of Mr. Hagen! Seriously though, we see this as an unexpected opportunity to explore and create more memorable experiences along the way. 😉

We agree, it is going to be fun and great to catch up, as I have said it’s much easier for those Europeans to say yes, would we fly to the US for a week trip, probably not, but this trip is unique for so many ways.

• Like 1

Haha, we're game to fly anywhere for a week!

You seem very unsure OnTheJourney so you will have to make your own mind up. If it helps, know that the core of Rome and Barcelona are very small. The heart of ancient Rome is particularly tiny and could not be easier to negotiate. Stay on the 'spine', on the via de Corso, and from there you can walk everywhere you'd like to visit, Vatican city, Trastevere, Villa Borghese, the Forum. If you're a good walker you never need to take a bus or any sort of transport. It is so simple and feels thoroughly safe.

I'd certainly never miss an opportunity to trip through the wonderful piazzas, passing random ancient ruins or Bernini sculpture. My worldwide favourite spot has to be the room in the Villa Borghese Museum which houses the sublime Bernini's Apollo and Daphne. Check this out!

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/monarchy-enlightenment/baroque-art1/baroque-italy/v/bernini-apollo-and-daphne-1622-25

• Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughts. We'll see. I'm pretty well set on not doing it if only the 7 days however. Just doesn't seem worth it given the cost to fly over there. So, yeah, I'm most definitely unsure about it. The idea of a B2B is the most appealing, though not crazy at all about that either if we'd have to move to another room for the Barcelona-London cruise. 

12 hours ago, Haworth said:

We agree, it is going to be fun and great to catch up, as I have said it’s much easier for those Europeans to say yes, would we fly to the US for a week trip, probably not, but this trip is unique for so many ways.

True enough, but I honestly can't say I met anyone on board that I talked to long enough or spent enough time with to remember, so that part of it would be no different than any other cruise. THAT being said, though, there is certainly a common bond that we all share. Within this bond, of course, are 2 camps - those who stayed on board and those who took a ride 100 ft. straight up (well...almost). Very different experiences on both sides - at least once Saturday afternoon came along. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Haha, we're game to fly anywhere for a week!

You seem very unsure OnTheJourney so you will have to make your own mind up. If it helps, know that the core of Rome and Barcelona are very small. The heart of ancient Rome is particularly tiny and could not be easier to negotiate. Stay on the 'spine', on the via de Corso, and from there you can walk everywhere you'd like to visit, Vatican city, Trastevere, Villa Borghese, the Forum. If you're a good walker you never need to take a bus or any sort of transport. It is so simple and feels thoroughly safe.

I'd certainly never miss an opportunity to trip through the wonderful piazzas, passing random ancient ruins or Bernini sculpture. My worldwide favourite spot has to be the room in the Villa Borghese Museum which houses the sublime Bernini's Apollo and Daphne. Check this out!

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/monarchy-enlightenment/baroque-art1/baroque-italy/v/bernini-apollo-and-daphne-1622-25

I appreciate all that....I really do.... but you're referring to places - except for the Vatican and forum, that I'm totally unfamiliar with and in most cases never heard of. Never been to Italy. I'd still not be comfortable booking extra (pre-cruise) days on my own...arranging the hotel, transfers, etc. but that's just me. I've only ever done foreign travel by cruise (with extensions) or else by group land tour. So no pre and post-cruise offered by Viking OR if not doing the B2B, then no go. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

18 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

Other Viking ships do a 7-night (8-day) Rome-to-Barcelona cruise; 15 are scheduled between 11/19 and 10/21.

There are two variations of the itinerary:

Version 1:

1.       Rome, Italy

5.       Marseille, France

6.       Montpellier, France

Version 2:

1.       Rome, Italy

5.       St. Tropez, France

6.       Marseille, France

The only difference is swapping Montpellier with St. Tropez. Alas, no sea days!

The overnight in Livorno could be useful for a longer, overnight visit to Florence, but who wants to be off the ship one night on such a short cruise?

Anyway, it’s way too soon to plan…..but it sure has me thinking already!

Not sure where you're getting your info, but your version 2 hasn't gone to St. Tropez in over a year. It has a sea day in between Barcelona and Marseille. Version one goes to Montpellier instead of the sea day.

I didn't find much on the Viking site so I used an online TA website that I usually search when I want to get an idea of what's out there. Sometimes they are off, like maybe in this case, but they are usually pretty close. And Viking may come up with something entirely different for the Venus trip. I would take a sea day in the mix. 

I'd take a different port rather than any overnights. Too short a cruise for an overnight stay. Would rather see someplace different. Biggest disadvantage is (short of extending via a pre-cruise option - which I'm not sure they are going to offer) not really having any time to see much in Rome unless arriving ahead of time. I prefer not to do that unless it's a package through Viking that includes the hotel, transfers, etc. Pros and cons on this one - at least from where I sit. If I allow myself to be mostly objective - I come to the inescapable fact that - were it not for the special nature of this cruise being a complimentary maiden voyage and its connection to the Sky adventure - I'd have absolutely no interest in it. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I understand your point of view. If I were searching for a cruise to take

, I wouldn't look for a 7-day winter trip in the Med. Not sure I'd look for a 7-day cruise anywhere, except maybe on a river. We've done plenty of 7-day cruises early in our cruise life and now prefer longer ones. But this one will be special. So it'll get marked on our calendar. We'll figure out the before and after stuff later. 

Oh yeah....I have it down on the calendar too!  I think my interest is readily apparent in that I was the first to even mention the email from Viking here on CC. But...indeed...my biggest problem is that it's in the winter, and only 7 days. Those are the biggest 'cons' of the whole thing. And, I agree with you...I have little interest in any 7-day either unless it's in conjunction with a longer overall trip - B2B, etc. or tied in with some land touring. Let alone in Europe...hate to go for only a week...and likely won't unless I extend this somehow. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

I didn't find much on the Viking site so I used an online TA website that I usually search when I want to get an idea of what's out there. Sometimes they are off, like maybe in this case, but they are usually pretty close. And Viking may come up with something entirely different for the Venus trip. I would take a sea day in the mix. 

The last cruise with your version 2 itinerary is the 12/27/19 - 1/3/20. It's possible Viking may do a custom itinerary for this cruise, but I do not think it would include St. Tropez as I remember reading Viking was no longer going there when I booked version 1 last year. While we were not Sky Survivors, my wife and I were scheduled for the Sky the following week. We did get a full refund, full credit, but no Venus 

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

The best thing you got is....not being on the Sky for our sailing!  Seriously, it was great until it wasn't. 

We followed the ordeal on the news and were glad to see no fatalities. Then we wondered what Viking would do - put us on another ship? Reschedule? We found out first that it was cancelled when our SAS air reservations disappeared. So we were disappointed - until the email came with the full refund and credit for whatever we wanted.

22 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I thought the sailing the week after ours went out on schedule? From what you're saying, I guess not. 

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That would have been unlikely since we were supposed to embark 3/27. Maybe the cruise the week after ours went out.

OK...sorry...got the dates confused. Back then, after it was over, I frankly wasn't paying much attention to what took place on the Sky within the next several cruises - was too busy relaying our story to the local newspaper, family, friends, etc. Funny how people still come up to us (that we've not seen in awhile) and start asking us about it! 

On 8/29/2019 at 1:19 PM, OnTheJourney said:

True enough, but I honestly can't say I met anyone on board that I talked to long enough or spent enough time with to remember, so that part of it would be no different than any other cruise. THAT being said, though, there is certainly a common bond that we all share. Within this bond, of course, are 2 camps - those who stayed on board and those who took a ride 100 ft. straight up (well...almost). Very different experiences on both sides - at least once Saturday afternoon came along. 

Just think of all the stories we can share.  I know Carolyn & I are looking forward to this.  I would not be surprised if Mr. Hagen has some surprises for us, in light of the way Viking has treated us!   Hmmm, do you think the northern lights will be visible by making a special showing? 🙂 🙂