Are you kidding me?

4 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I just read a review and the lady said "her cruise was ruined because the captain did not visit her table at dinner."

I may not get it, but I'm pretty sure the Offices and Staff are there to keep you safe and to give you a wonderful time on your cruise.

I just do not understand people who believe the ship's crew are there for there entertainment and to make life long friends.

I,too, would appreciate a link to this review you read.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emory2001 said:

I knew a woman who (on land) threw a public temper tantrum when she realized the (very excellent) restaurant she walked into was order-at-the-counter and not a server coming to take your order at the table.

This is called an oxymoron. I have never heard of a "very excellent" restaurant with counter service, it's called fast food. 

• Like 1

What a ridiculous thing to say that her whole cruise was ruined because the Captain didn't come to her table at dinner. 50 cruises and we have never seen a Captain come to anyone's table in the dining room. I agree, she has watched way too many Love Boat reruns!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

This is called an oxymoron. I have never heard of a "very excellent" restaurant with counter service, it's called fast food. 

Never heard of fast casual? It's an award-winning smokehouse with amazing brisket. Not fast food. What is with people nit-picking at part of a comment that's barely even relevant to the original post, like I need to explain more than what I chose to share? OMG, we need to decide if this was really fast food because maybe the commenter doesn't know what she's talking about!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

So, has anyone else considered that this review might not exist?  I'm just thinking, given the OP's post history - only 3 posts, all of the pot-stirring type...

Let me Google that for all you skeptics. Here's a 1-star Carnival review that showed up at consumeraffairs.com, from a lady who was upset they didn't see the Captain, but it was at the Captain's dinner, so maybe she thought they would see the Captain. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.42.03 PM.png

Edited by emory2001
  • Like 1

Captains do have dinner with guests occasionally. The Officer’s Dining Room usually. But, we have had dinner with a few in MDR. It doesn’t happen much. There are also luncheons and a few dinners for Diamonds with the Captain.

Captains don’t just stroll through and visit, however.

7 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I also get a kick out of the people that believe they have created a life long friendship with their cabin steward. 

Or that bartender who still remembers them from their cruise 2 years ago.

I wonder if they have a database for crew where they see in advance when someone who sailed with them before is coming back.

Oh I remember you, Mr. Smith!

33 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Or that bartender who still remembers them from their cruise 2 years ago.

I wonder if they have a database for crew where they see in advance when someone who sailed with them before is coming back.

Oh I remember you, Mr. Smith!

OR...  the bartender is just SAYING they remember them.  When I worked as a server, I'd occasionally "remember" someone who expected me to...  tell them I was glad to see them again (when in reality, I had no clue who they were!).  Tips were better!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kenb said:

I'm guessing you will never see the link to the original review!!!

I do recall reading that comment in a post here on cc in the last month or so. There were a few other piddly complaints which lumped together “ruined” her cruise. She was one of the higher levels of reward member.

10 hours ago, emory2001 said:

Let me Google that for all you skeptics. Here's a 1-star Carnival review that showed up at consumeraffairs.com, from a lady who was upset they didn't see the Captain, but it was at the Captain's dinner, so maybe she thought they would see the Captain. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.42.03 PM.png

20 cruises and met the Captain twice. Definitely not at my dinner table. And that first part of her review is just eww!

15 hours ago, coevan said:

Actually, there are some great small restaurants in New Orleans with counter service. Most are out on St. Claude in the Marigny/Bywater area. And I've seen that same reaction out of a tourist at one of those places. She had read an online review, but obviously not the details.

Kills me how people who happen to have Diamond or Platinum then complain that they don't get the treatment they think they deserve. If you've been cruising that long, then you know how it works. Why would the fact that you went up a grade make you think that you will get more than perks than those listed for your grade?

I just want to get to platinum so I can get laundry service. Very helpful on transatlantic cruises.

Just sounds to me like someone who'd never cruised before and did no research.  We go to Sandals just about every year and you should hear the comments there.  Some folks show up and are surprised by things when 10 minutes reading the website (like a 2 minute read of what their room includes/doesn't include) or maybe a few reviews on tripadvisor would have clued them in on what to expect/not expect.

The blood thing would have turned me off too, I can see that part ruining a vacation - how could you sleep in the bed?

19 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I just read a review and the lady said "her cruise was ruined because the captain did not visit her table at dinner."

I may not get it, but I'm pretty sure the Offices and Staff are there to keep you safe and to give you a wonderful time on your cruise.

I just do not understand people who believe the ship's crew are there for there entertainment and to make life long friends.

Not all captains are that accommodating to passengers. I recommend next time she should request Captain Morgan to visit her beforehand. She sounds pretty uptight to have such a tiny issue like that "ruin" her cruise 🤔

13 minutes ago, Ramblin_Dan said:

She sounds pretty uptight to have such a tiny issue like that "ruin" her cruise 🤔

I agree with your assessment of the supposed reviewer.  Here's the thing, though:  We haven't actually seen any review where anyone actually said this.

2 hours ago, Ramblin_Dan said:

Not all captains are that accommodating to passengers. I recommend next time she should request Captain Morgan to visit her beforehand. She sounds pretty uptight to have such a tiny issue like that "ruin" her cruise 🤔

On my last Carnival cruise I rode the elevator with the captain once. It was just the 2 of us. He pushed the button for me. 😁 LOL

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Some people love to one-up others, and/or always have "insider access". I always laugh at those "oh yea, I met the captain. He is a really good guy. I got his number if you need anything."

My favorite is when I read:' I took my cabin steward a hat from my home town. He loved it so much we became instant friends. I look forward to seeing him again when I cruise on the Vista in 2022."