Princess or NCL for an Alaskan cruise when you are 34 and want to meet people

FaithPlus1

I keep going back and forth with taking the cruise on Princess or NCL. I took a NCL cruise 2 years ago. The food reminded me of Hometown Buffet (essentially pig slop). The food in the dining rooms were better, but often took awhile to get my food, and the times often coincided around shows that I wanted to see. I thought I would have found more people my age on it, but I really didn't. It was a very mixed crowd from young families, some solo people, married couples, and seniors. There were a lot of people though who looked like the types who would go on Jerry Springer, or to be seen on an episode of Cops....I remember seeing a biker looking type remove his dentures in the Jacuzzi....Not making this up. 

I mainly chose NCL because of the price and because I've heard that they arrange things for solo travelers (regardless of it being the ship with the studios). There was no real event person for meets. It was just something in the daily of "5PM Solo travelers meet in bar". That was it. I went and couldn't figure out who were the solo travelers so I left. Later on I ended up meeting 2 guys in their 40s who I became friendly with and had dinners with and saw shows with while sitting in a Jacuzzi. While I am bashing NCL quite a bit, I will say that they had great entertainment. 

The Princess cruise I am looking into is around the same price as NCL, similar itinerary, and the dates work on both so the pricing isn't the issue. I'm thinking though Princess cruises in Alaska probably would be less singles and more families and seniors than NCL had, but at this point since NCL's Alaskan trips don't really arrange solo get togethers it makes no difference. Princess seems to have better food (I only took 1 Princess cruise years ago, and the food was pretty good), and a less Cops/Jerry Springer clientele. Their entertainment though I take it isn't as "fun" as Princess. I also don't like that it's $150 to buy a weekly spa pass and that you cannot just buy a day pass (NCL let's you purchase for the day). 

If you were a solo, 34 year old going on an Alaskan cruise, which one would you take? 

While comparing lines may give general ideas about a cruise, it may be better to compare ships.  If the NCL has studio cabins, then they would have solo/single groups meeting in the studio lounge for dinner and excursions.  Does the ship you booked have this option?

As for Princess, we sailed the Crown in Alaska as well as in the Med.  Both times I didn't notice many solo or single people on board.

Perhaps do Alaska for the sights and experience as the 1st priority and meeting others as your 2nd issue?  On either, I would think you could easily make friends with anyone on board by talking about the ship or ports (or even weather).

• Like 1

As a fellow solo traveler, a lot of your enjoyment will be based on your level of "outgoingness". If I walked into a lounge that was mentioned in the schedule as the single mingle and couldn't immediately tell who was single (how would you do this anyway), I would ask. Simply walk up, say "Pardon me, do you happen to be here for the Single Mingle event?". I wouldn't just walk out. 

I am not sure what types of events you expected to be organized for singles. An evening mixer in a lounge or bar is about all I've ever seen. 

I have sailed Carnival and NCL. Have a RCCL booked in 99 days followed by Princess and Celebrity. I expect less of party atmosphere on the latter two. I don't cruise to meet people. However, I've never not made a few cruise buddies. I cruise to get away from my daily grind and unwind. I am outgoing when I want to be. The trick is confidence and don't be shy. I hope you enjoy your future cruises on whichever line you choose.

Also, try these two forums or do a google search for "Singles Cruise"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/85-singles-cruises/

Edited by JennyB1977

You are going to find the ships and the passenger mix  to be more alike than different. Princess might be a bit more upscale, but that is it. On NCL, even if there are studio cabins the solo meetings always  take place in a bar.  If it were me I would go NCL. I think more important  is the itinerary. I prefer one way south bound instead of round trip Seattle.

In any Alaska cruise, I suggest the deciding factor is itinerary - looking at both the ports of call and the hours in port.

For embarkation you have options with R/T or 1-way cruises. The 2 main departure ports are Seattle & Vancouver - Vancouver is closer to Alaska and ships do not require a visit to Victoria, so those ships should spend more time in Alaska. Vancouver ships also sail more of the sheltered & scenic Inside Passage, while Seattle ships go up/down the Pacific Ocean.

Glaciers - Although I have been in Glacier Bay well over 20 times, I am still one of the first ones out on deck. The Rangers also board, providing lots of information. I have also never missed a visit to Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is spectacular, but I have only ever made it in once. Hubbard Glacier is also impressive, but again I have missed one or two visits.

The 3 main SE Alaska ports are very busy & touristy, suggest visiting some of the lesser known ports and also heading up to Prince William Sound and Whittier/Seward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

As a fellow solo traveler, a lot of your enjoyment will be based on your level of "outgoingness". If I walked into a lounge that was mentioned in the schedule as the single mingle and couldn't immediately tell who was single (how would you do this anyway), I would ask. Simply walk up, say "Pardon me, do you happen to be here for the Single Mingle event?". I wouldn't just walk out. 

I am not sure what types of events you expected to be organized for singles. An evening mixer in a lounge or bar is about all I've ever seen. 

I have sailed Carnival and NCL. Have a RCCL booked in 99 days followed by Princess and Celebrity. I expect less of party atmosphere on the latter two. I don't cruise to meet people. However, I've never not made a few cruise buddies. I cruise to get away from my daily grind and unwind. I am outgoing when I want to be. The trick is confidence and don't be shy. I hope you enjoy your future cruises on whichever line you choose.

Also, try these two forums or do a google search for "Singles Cruise"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/85-singles-cruises/

One of the guys I met mainly does NCL cruises. He said for most of the cruises, there has always been a  NCL organizer for singles/solos. It may have been for people on the ship where there are the studio cabins (I didn't get into specifics). He said they would do things like block off seats for shows and organize dinners and happy hours. It wasn't just a thing in the daily. 

As far as being outgoing, yeah you are right on that. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In any Alaska cruise, I suggest the deciding factor is itinerary - looking at both the ports of call and the hours in port.

For embarkation you have options with R/T or 1-way cruises. The 2 main departure ports are Seattle & Vancouver - Vancouver is closer to Alaska and ships do not require a visit to Victoria, so those ships should spend more time in Alaska. Vancouver ships also sail more of the sheltered & scenic Inside Passage, while Seattle ships go up/down the Pacific Ocean.

Glaciers - Although I have been in Glacier Bay well over 20 times, I am still one of the first ones out on deck. The Rangers also board, providing lots of information. I have also never missed a visit to Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is spectacular, but I have only ever made it in once. Hubbard Glacier is also impressive, but again I have missed one or two visits.

The 3 main SE Alaska ports are very busy & touristy, suggest visiting some of the lesser known ports and also heading up to Prince William Sound and Whittier/Seward.

Your post was actually very helpful and I think I'm now most likely going to do Princess. I love Glacier Bay too. Both do it. Initially I was going to splurge on a balcony for 3 things: Glacier Bay, Orcas, and otters (I want to be an otter). I've seen though reviews where people use the balcony when there's great weather, and others who rarely used it due to rain, wind, or where it was just plan overcast. I think I will just stick to an interior unless the balcony isn't that much more (which it often is). 

Both leave out of Vancouver. NCL ends at Seward where there was a tour I would have liked to have done before going in the train Princess ends at Whittier. They have the train too. They have the 26 Glacier cruise which I would like to do. 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

While comparing lines may give general ideas about a cruise, it may be better to compare ships.  If the NCL has studio cabins, then they would have solo/single groups meeting in the studio lounge for dinner and excursions.  Does the ship you booked have this option?

As for Princess, we sailed the Crown in Alaska as well as in the Med.  Both times I didn't notice many solo or single people on board.

Perhaps do Alaska for the sights and experience as the 1st priority and meeting others as your 2nd issue?  On either, I would think you could easily make friends with anyone on board by talking about the ship or ports (or even weather).

No studio cabins on the NCL Jewel. You are right about prioritizing. Itinerary will always be #1 for me, food #2, #3 meeting professionals my age #4 entertainment #5 spa. 

Edited by FaithPlus1
  • Like 1

I'm going solo on the Island Princess next week. It's my first cruise without my husband. He will be home working. I'm planning on going to the meeting the first night for solo travelers if I'm up to it. I signed up for traditional dining at a large table. I'm hoping for enjoyable people. We've had good luck with it in the past. If not, I'll switch over to anytime dining. On the northbound cruise, three nights will be anytime by force when the ship is still in port but will always ask for a large table.

I booked an inside cabin to save money. I got lucky to be upgraded to a great ocean view cabin, but I still plan to spend most of my viewing time out on the open decks.

28 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm going solo on the Island Princess next week. It's my first cruise without my husband. He will be home working. I'm planning on going to the meeting the first night for solo travelers if I'm up to it. I signed up for traditional dining at a large table. I'm hoping for enjoyable people. We've had good luck with it in the past. If not, I'll switch over to anytime dining. On the northbound cruise, three nights will be anytime by force when the ship is still in port but will always ask for a large table.

I booked an inside cabin to save money. I got lucky to be upgraded to a great ocean view cabin, but I still plan to spend most of my viewing time out on the open decks.

That's actually a good idea about traditional dining. I guess if you don't like it, you could just do anytime dining. Hopefully you wouldn't run into the people you sat with. 

Did you have to pay extra for the upgrade?

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Your post was actually very helpful and I think I'm now most likely going to do Princess. I love Glacier Bay too. Both do it. Initially I was going to splurge on a balcony for 3 things: Glacier Bay, Orcas, and otters (I want to be an otter). I've seen though reviews where people use the balcony when there's great weather, and others who rarely used it due to rain, wind, or where it was just plan overcast. I think I will just stick to an interior unless the balcony isn't that much more (which it often is). 

Both leave out of Vancouver. NCL ends at Seward where there was a tour I would have liked to have done before going in the train Princess ends at Whittier. They have the train too. They have the 26 Glacier cruise which I would like to do. 

The 26 Glacier cruise is excellent. You can book direct from Phillips Cruises and it departs close to the ship.

In Whittier you must go through the tunnel at the end of the inlet. It is 1-way, with direction changing every 1/2 hr. Of the Princess ships, my favourites for Alaska were the Coral/Island or Diamond/Sapphire. Not sure what ships they have in Alaska these days. Ships I would avoid are the Royal Class and Super Grand Class, which is Caribbean & later. The Grand Class are nice ships, but the Super Grands have an extra deck of cabins (500 pax), but same public spaces.

Enjoy your cruise. 

Having cruised both Princess and NCL numerous times, I generally prefer Princess. However, for a mid 30s single, Princess is one of the last lines I would recommend, and NCL is one of the first. The atmosphere is more vibrant and social on NCL, especially during the evening parties. 

Not saying you wouldn’t enjoy Princess but  I would do NCL in this case. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Having cruised both Princess and NCL numerous times, I generally prefer Princess. However, for a mid 30s single, Princess is one of the last lines I would recommend, and NCL is one of the first. The atmosphere is more vibrant and social on NCL, especially during the evening parties. 

Not saying you wouldn’t enjoy Princess but  I would do NCL in this case. 

Agreed ! However the OP needs to realize Alaska attracts  an older crowd. A younger crowd would be cruises in  the Caribbean.