Atlantis on a Budget!

AnnieBabes

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Pretty sure you only get four wristbands per room, so they'd have to purchase two rooms.  

There are 9 of them, they may need 3 rooms.

2 rooms would be $500 per night - still expensive.

3 room would be $375 per night, not so bad.

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

For all the people who complain about the "gratuity" or daily service charge on most cruise lines, I can only imagine the gnashing of teeth over this from the Comfort Suites site:

Hotel Alerts: 

The following tax and charges are applicable. 12 Value Added Tax, 11.2 Resort Levy, 5.00 USD per person per day Housekeeping charge, 17.87 USD per person per day Utility Surcharge and 8.96 USD Hotel Service Charge per person per day. 40.00 USD added to the rate for 3rd and 4th adult, plus Valued Added Tax. Children 16 years and over are charged as adults. Children 12 years to 15 years are charges 31.83 USD per child per day (Housekeeping, Utility Surcharge and Hotel Service Charge), not included in total.

Can you imagine if the cruise lines charged a 12% VAT and 11.2% Ship Levy on each passenger's fare, plus added $5 for housekeeping, $17.87 for utilities, and $8.96 for "hotel service charge" (whatever that is... maybe the front desk employees?)???

If the cruise fare for two people was $2,000, the VAT and Ship Levy would add another $240 and $224, respectively, for a total fare of $2,464, and then you add the roughly $200 for port taxes for two people to come up to $2,646.  

Then at the end of the week, an additional $445.62 would be due for the various housekeeping, utility, and hotel service charges.  That $2,000 cruise would end up being $3,110 without purchasing a single drink, specialty dinner, or anything.  

I'm gonna have to remember this outrageous $31.83/person upcharge the next time someone starts complaining about the measly $15/day gratuity/service charge on most cruise lines. 

At least that fifteen bucks also includes the food servers for every meal you eat on a cruise ship.... if you were actually staying at the Comfort Suites, you'd have to fork over extra money for each meal plus the tip for each of those meals, in addition to the $32/person/day you're already paying to the hotel!

Wow, they know how to get you there.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

There are 9 of them, they may need 3 rooms.

2 rooms would be $500 per night - still expensive.

3 room would be $375 per night, not so bad.

We are only booking two rooms, which will be about $125 per person. Expensive yes, but if we purchase wristbands elsewhere they are $166 per person, so it's a savings, not a huge one but still a savings. The 9th person will use her $50 shore credit to purchase a band.

1 minute ago, AnnieBabes said:

We are only booking two rooms, which will be about $125 per person. Expensive yes, but if we purchase wristbands elsewhere they are $166 per person, so it's a savings, not a huge one but still a savings. The 9th person will use her $50 shore credit to purchase a band.

Glad you have it sorted. I suppose they have more or less a captured audience there.

Right. I saw all those extra fees. Booking a room that comes with the wristbands, in the end will still be cheaper then purchasing them on our own. Those fees would scare me if I booked at that hotel for more then one night.

1 hour ago, AnnieBabes said:

Right. I saw all those extra fees. Booking a room that comes with the wristbands, in the end will still be cheaper then purchasing them on our own. Those fees would scare me if I booked at that hotel for more then one night.

Right?

Just the "per person service charge" would be more than $125/night for a family of four, and you'd still have to add on the actual cost of the room and taxes!  

I think I'll just stick with my cruise vacations!  😎

I’ve been to Atlantis.... the word Atlantis and budget do not belong in the same sentence.... seriously 

you are best best following the advice of booking a room to get the ban if you can get a deal.

no matter how you cut it, Atlantis is not worth $100 pp

Edited by Shoppie124

Don't even want to tell you what food costs are here!  Stayed at Atlantis a couple of years ago and will be back there for four days this month - the same type of VAT, service charges, etc. apply to food options.  Have a very substantial breakfast on the ship!

In my opinion, the best thing about Nassau is the port.  And it is best when there are a lot of ships there.  I love to be up early when we come into port, and rotate around to back into the slip.  And then watch the following ships come in and do the same.  It is amazing.  EM

On 6/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, MicCanberra said:

Wow, is there anything else to do at this port?

Look up your cruise excursions. Countless options. The port area is decent for food and bars. Tons of beach options and private islands. Lots and lots of outstanding private tours. Nassau probably has more awesome stuff to do than any other port.  What would you want to do? 

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

Look up your cruise excursions. Countless options. The port area is decent for food and bars. Tons of beach options and private islands. Lots and lots of outstanding private tours. Nassau probably has more awesome stuff to do than any other port.  What would you want to do? 

Swimming and snorkelling off the beach and or over a reef most likely.

We're on the Sept 21 NCL Sun, which docks in Nassau on Sept 23. This was one of those cruise re-routed due to the Cuba thing.  There aren't any excursions listed on the NCL site for this stop (at least not yet). What is the best way to get from the cruise ship dock to Atlantis?  Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, CSloan said:

We're on the Sept 21 NCL Sun, which docks in Nassau on Sept 23. This was one of those cruise re-routed due to the Cuba thing.  There aren't any excursions listed on the NCL site for this stop (at least not yet). What is the best way to get from the cruise ship dock to Atlantis?  Thanks. 

Taxi.