If not Cuba, which ports would interest you?

Marykatesmom

Cruise ships are no longer allowed to travel to Cuba.  Viking now has an 8 day cruise out of Miami with all of the ports TBA.  We've done a few cruises to the Caribbean but I'm not really a beach person.  Viking is different from other cruise lines in that they are port intensive and their small ships can travel to smaller out of the way ports.

If you could send the ship somewhere interesting where would you send it and why?  What would you enjoy?

I would send it to San Juan because of the history and to help it economically and Bermuda because of the history and in the winter it their slow season and not too warm. Plus, I've only  been to both places once.

As Viking ships are small, they can call at ports that others can't.  Suggestions would be in the Virgin Islands port of calls can be St John's (pier) and Virgin Gorda (tender port).  Outside the Vigins, there is St Barts (tender).

My first inclination was to say without Cuba, that I had no interest in cruising with Viking. This thread has peaked my interest. If the cruise went to some less travelled ports like Antigua, Guadalupe,St Vinvent and Grenadines, St Lucia, and St Barts, I might consider keeping my reservation.

I had been waiting for Viking to get docking in Havana before booking a cruise to Cuba. Had I been booked already, I must admit that I am among those who would be swallowing the $100 cancellation penalty and looking to book on another Viking ship in another location (even if it were a longer cruise). The only other thing I want to do in the Caribbean is to transit the Panama Canal and some how that just doesn't seem appealing for a 7 night cruise.

22 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The cruise in question is an eight day cruise out of Miami.

A trans Canal, Amazon River, or South America to Rio cruise would not be viable options.

If they are changing the entire ports of call, they could just as easily change the home port.

2 minutes ago, KathyA said:

By rescheduling the Cuba cruises to slightly longer cruises but with full ships. 

That might work if this itinerary is really undersold and Viking can accommodate all of those who have already booked cabins on the longer itinerary. Otherwise, they are going to have to hope that there are enough guests who will cancel altogether because the cruise is no longer going to Cuba or because the new dates are no longer viable for them. 

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

If they are changing the entire ports of call, they could just as easily change the home port.

I was wondering about that. That would kick up a stink in Miami--loss of revenues at the port, the airport, hotels and all the rest tourism infrastructure--especially if other cruise lines did the same.

4 hours ago, Barbrox said:

My first inclination was to say without Cuba, that I had no interest in cruising with Viking. This thread has peaked my interest. If the cruise went to some less travelled ports like Antigua, Guadalupe,St Vinvent and Grenadines, St Lucia, and St Barts, I might consider keeping my reservation.

I have to agree with you Barbrox.   Was counting on seeing Cuba next year (Dec) on the way to the Panama Canal.  I have no interest in places like Haiti or Dominican Republic or Jamaica or the Virgin Islands.   However, the small islands like you mentioned would definitely be interesting.   I'd even enjoy seeing Grand Cayman or Belize.

I can imagine Viking's frustration with the new Cuba policy and trying to figure out how to cause the least disruption and still accommodate the equally frustrated passengers threatening to bail from Viking.  A true no-win situation.

Changing the home port would mess up folks who already booked air.

From Miami would suggest a southern loop around the ABC islands.  They're picturesque and not as touristy as San Juan, St Martin, St Thomas, etc.  Was there last fall on the Star (NY - Miami) and though we've visited ABC before Viking tours still proved interesting.

ABC Islands are an excellent option, but if you are concerned with not changing home port and TAR dates/times, they are not feasible from Miami in 8-days.

From memory Miami to Curacao is 1,300 to 1,400 n/miles, which is a little over 3 days steaming at 18 kts. Therefore it requires 7 days steaming at almost full speed to get there & back. Provides time for 1 port, but also requires a huge bill for bunkers.

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

ABC Islands are an excellent option, but if you are concerned with not changing home port and TAR dates/times, they are not feasible from Miami in 8-days.

From memory Miami to Curacao is 1,300 to 1,400 n/miles, which is a little over 3 days steaming at 18 kts. Therefore it requires 7 days steaming at almost full speed to get there & back. Provides time for 1 port, but also requires a huge bill for bunkers.

Carnival does Aruba and Curacao + 2 other ports from Miami in 8 days.  Royal's Adventure shows an 8 day sailing in December that hits AB&C

Have to compare apples to apples and also consider fuel costs.

Viking ships cruise at 17 or 18 kts, with a max speed of 20 kts. RCI's ship cruises at 22.5 kts, with a top speed of probably 24-25kts.  With the distances involved, Viking could not schedule a cruise at the vessels top speed of 20 kts, as they require leeway for weather or other delays, so it would be scheduled at 17/18 kts. RCI transit at 22.5 kts is 2.5 days, while Viking require 3.5 days, which provides RCI 2 additional port days.

Fuel costs are also a significant issue, as the Cuba cruises are scheduled at slow speed. ABC with longer high speed runs would incur significantly higher bunker costs and I doubt a fuel premium would be well received by pax already booked.

• Thanks 1