Specialty shows on Anthem?

I was deciding on whether to make reservations for the three specialty shows listed in the Cruise Planner for our August cruise on the Anthem. I have reserved We Will Rock You, but was unsure about The Gift and Spectra’s Cabaret. The overview about these shows didn’t really tell me much, and I hate to commit the time for shows that might not be worth missing other activities, or taking a reservation from someone else if I decide not to go. Have any of you seen these shows and can give me your thoughts on them? I realize we all might enjoy different things, but I’d appreciate your input. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Chinya said:

I was deciding on whether to make reservations for the three specialty shows listed in the Cruise Planner for our August cruise on the Anthem. I have reserved We Will Rock You, but was unsure about The Gift and Spectra’s Cabaret. The overview about these shows didn’t really tell me much, and I hate to commit the time for shows that might not be worth missing other activities, or taking a reservation from someone else if I decide not to go. Have any of you seen these shows and can give me your thoughts on them? I realize we all might enjoy different things, but I’d appreciate your input. Thanks!

I have seen all three shows multiple times, We Will Rock You is our favorite.  The Gift has great music but the topic is a little deep for a cruise ship.  Spectra's Cabaret is a lot of singing and dancing, cabaret style.  We like that one too but some find it strange.  I would make reservations and go if you want.  Don't worry about taking reservations away from someone else as there is a standby line and people will get in.

• Like 2

I saw all 3 shows, also.  We Will Rock U is awesome!  Spectra's Cabaret is unique and different, but entertaining.  The Gift is good, but a lot of underlying messages that may be misunderstood by many.  We actually went to a meet/greet/talk with the show performers and they explained the message behind The Gift, and then it made much more sense!  LoL.  You always have the choice to leave the show if it is not your cup of tea.

I agree with what the others have said.  We cruise again on Anthem the end of August; but the shows have not opened up yet for our cruise.  We have others going with us; so I will be sure we book each one, and they can decide for themselves; if they want to stay or leave.  What date are you cruising in August, and when did the shows open for booking?

We have only seen WWRY and Spectra's Cabaret and enjoyed both twice.  Favorite is still We Will Rock You and will probably see again in November.  Have not seen the gift as it is about a mother that dies and that was what happened to my granddaughter so we have made the choice to skip that each time.

• 2 weeks later...
On June 15, 2019 at 5:13 PM, Chinya said:

We’re cruising on August 15, and I only checked on the shows this week, and reservations were open then.

Thanks.  They still have not opened ours for the 29th; but hopefully his week.  

Don't miss We Will Rock You. Best show I have seen on a cruise ship on 25 plus cruises.  Spectra's Cabaret was good as well just not as good as We Will Rock You.  Unfortunately we were unable to see The Gift as the times interfered with dinner or other activities.  I found it very hard to see the shows and make it to assigned dining.  You will have better luck if you go to a specialty restaurant.  Better food than the dining room, but the specialties have gotten a little high in price from my point of view.  

It's all so subjective, so make reservations for all 3, and see how you feel. We made the reservations but ended up just making it to WWRY because we were busy having too much fun doing other things during showtimes. And we were really looking forward to WWRY (fans of Queen and the movie Bohemian Rhapsody) but so disappointed in the show. The talent was certainly terrific, but the show's script and storyline were just not, in our opinion. No biggie because the cruise was plenty fun aside from that, but it was a good reminder to us that we should not book a cruise because of the fancy entertainment.

2 hours ago, #1cruiseaholic said:

Wow. We were on Anthem last year. How long do those shows remain on Anthem? Saw all three but definitely would not be interested in watching them again.

Welcome to cruising.  (although I see that you have been a member of this site for 15 years)  All shows last for years and years and years.  They are extremely expensive to mount, and cruiselines want to get their money's worth from that process.

I just have to smile when you say "I was on last year.....are they still there?"

Thanks so much for the info. I had absolutely no idea shows were on that long. They were all visibly high tech but not worth spending time to see again.  Guess I will continue to enjoy the smaller ships while they are still available. They might not be as professional but at least there is variety. Will take a good comedian or performer anyday.

We saw WWRY and Spectra. While I’m happy that we saw them, after seeing them once, like any cruise ship entertainment, there is no need to see them again. WWRY had the worst times. Either 2pm or 6pm. I would’t give up my afternoon or prime dinner time on formal night to see it again.