YC drinking and gelatto

nayuval

Hi,

We are 1st time cruisers on the MSC and picked the YC with our kids the coming September.

We made the booking prior to the drink package changes and was told by our TA that the old one should be for us.

Has anyone sailed and did get the deluxe package and mainly the venchi?

My kids would love the ice cream (would buy it if not part of the package, but still...).

This for sure will not ruin the cruise, just puzzled on how they can know who booked when.

Thanks

This same question has been asked for at least one year.  Last year we sailed on the Seaside and no one thought gelato and crepes were still included in YC.  So, the first thing my wife and did was go and eat gelato and one crepe.  No charge.  We booked while on board and leaving in 3 weeks.  The first thing my wife and I will do is see if the gelato and crepes are still included.  To be honest we only ate gelato and crepes one time last year.  We did have a few Venchi drinks.

Thanks,

I saw the posts but also understand that MSC is all but consistent so wondering about it.

I am also waiting to try the venchi drinks I read so much about here.

My wife doesn't drink alcohol and off course my children aren't as well, but they will not say no to good ice cream and crepes:)

Don’t forget the milkshakes for the kids.   YC is a very good product for the price.   Make sure you take advantage of what is offered and don’t be afraid to ask if in doubt.   Pizza late at night delivered to your stateroom is great.  

• Thanks 1

The YC dinner menu (and probably the lunch menu) show ice creams as possible dessert selections.  However, we asked our waiter several evenings if they had any gelato in the hiding in the backroom. They did. In our limited 7 days on MSC and their YC, it seemed anything was possible for the asking. I even asked they had any alcohol free wine, which kind of stumped the waiter, but two bottles magically appeared in about 5-10 minutes. Apparently, they had to go on a search mission to find them. The results were very good, not as good as the real thing, but very passable.

My family was on the Seaside June 1st sailing and had booked before the changes were made to the drink package.  Never experienced any problems ordering anything anywhere, including the Venchi chocolate martini.   Did not order crepes, so I cannot comment on that.  I agree with the comment about the milkshakes for the kids.  My grandson had one in the YC, and thought it was delicious.  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, floridian1 said:

Just got off the ship..it appears everyone in YC got venchi,crepes and gelato for free regardless of when booked.

This is good news. Hope that continues into 2020 on all MSC ships 

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

This is good news. Hope that continues into 2020 on all MSC ships 

The Venchi venue is only on Seaside/Seaview and items there are not included for YC guests on Seaview according to reports on here.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thecruisers6 said:

So venchi is included on Seaside (US based)  and not on Seaview (EU based) 

Is that called chasing the American Dream? 

It may be ... but it's also called valuing those on US-based ships above others!  Our experience on Armonia was an eye-opener.  The Hotel department went above and beyond to ensure we had the time of our lives (and they sure succeeded).  We've never had so many 'extras' sent to our cabin in all our sailings (though it helped significantly that we knew the Director of Hotel Services from a previous cruise.  That being said, it was very noticeable at both the CC and Black Card events how different we were treated than when on ships in other regions).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

It may be ... but it's also called valuing those on US-based ships above others!  Our experience on Armonia was an eye-opener.  The Hotel department went above and beyond to ensure we had the time of our lives (and they sure succeeded).  We've never had so many 'extras' sent to our cabin in all our sailings (though it helped significantly that we knew the Director of Hotel Services from a previous cruise.  That being said, it was very noticeable at both the CC and Black Card events how different we were treated than when on ships in other regions).

Kind of silly of them to do that since Americans (like me) will be cruising on ships in Europe and elsewhere outside the U.S. An unremarkable experience could cause someone to just cross MSC off their list even though they might've had a better time on a U.S. based cruise. Service should be consistent across the fleet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

You are right Bea. It was even said recently on another site, that if MSC regular guests make the effort and cost to travel to the US they deserve the little extras. Depends which way you spin it I guess. I’m just glad our next 2 cruises are stateside 😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Kind of silly of them to do that since Americans (like me) will be cruising on ships in Europe and elsewhere outside the U.S. An unremarkable experience could cause someone to just cross MSC off their list even though they might've had a better time on a U.S. based cruise. Service should be consistent across the fleet.

Absolutely WM. it’s frustrating as you simply don’t know what the package actually is until you swipe your card! 

A prime example will be when those US guests that have enjoyed Venchi on Seaside free of charge are presented with a bill for the chocolate franchise on Meraviglia when stateside for the first time this fall. Can you imagine the posts on here we have to look forward to. Then if MSC back down and cover the costs (which I hope they do 😀) more criticism from Europe! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

So when we sail on Meraviglia in Oct Venchi isn't included but it will be the following week on Seaside?!

Venchi is not included because Meraviglia & Bellissima have no Venchi. Jean-Philippe Crepes & Ice Cream franchise is on these ships.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

So when we sail on Meraviglia in Oct Venchi isn't included but it will be the following week on Seaside?!

Venchi isn't on Meraviglia, CF, it's only on Seaside-class ships.  The franchise on Meraviglia is Jean-Philippe Maury, a chocolatier, too (a chocolate factory/coffee bar and an ice-cream parlour opposite to it on the other side of the Galleria) and items from it were never included in any packages - including YC.

1184795587_ScreenShot2019-06-17at13_02_48.png.b6b4f9fec8a6b66e8271938e7caad96c.png

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Ah, thanks. To be honest, with all of the treats and food available, I don't think there will be room for anything else.

Really wish I hadn’t shown Jane the freshly dipped in chocolate waffle cones and amazing reviews of the ice cream 🙄

Really don’t mind paying a few dollars for something not available in the UK tbh. All adds to our (Jane’s) experience. 😀

12 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Ah, thanks. To be honest, with all of the treats and food available, I don't think there will be room for anything else.

Can’t wait for your seaside hotel thoughts. No pressure...... 😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thecruisers6 said:

Really wish I hadn’t shown Jane the freshly dipped in chocolate waffle cones and amazing reviews of the ice cream 🙄

Really don’t mind paying a few dollars for something not available in the UK tbh. All adds to our (Jane’s) experience. 😀

No question but that at least one visit to Jean-Philippe is a must!  👍

7 hours ago, thecruisers6 said:

Absolutely WM. it’s frustrating as you simply don’t know what the package actually is until you swipe your card! 

A prime example will be when those US guests that have enjoyed Venchi on Seaside free of charge are presented with a bill for the chocolate franchise on Meraviglia when stateside for the first time this fall. Can you imagine the posts on here we have to look forward to. Then if MSC back down and cover the costs (which I hope they do 😀) more criticism from Europe! 

It's started, already!  🙄  Have you seen the thread "Meraviglia YC - no chocolate drinks/gelato included, correct?"  😅