dress code question

ed01106

I don’t mind dressing up (actually I kind of enjoy it). But unless the air conditioner is set to “arctic” I normally remove my jacket rather early in the evening and drape it over the back of the chair and spend the evening just wearing shirt and tie (and possibly vest/cumberbun) for most of the evening.  At all weddings, bar mitzvahs, retirement parties I have been to that has been perfectly acceptable.  (once photos were over) But none of them had a web page with a  dress code.  Is doing this okay on the ship?  Or are you expected to keep the suit jacket on?

Thanks.

It will be 

2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

I don’t mind dressing up (actually I kind of enjoy it). But unless the air conditioner is set to “arctic” I normally remove my jacket rather early in the evening and drape it over the back of the chair and spend the evening just wearing shirt and tie (and possibly vest/cumberbun) for most of the evening.  At all weddings, bar mitzvahs, retirement parties I have been to that has been perfectly acceptable.  (once photos were over) But none of them had a web page with a  dress code.  Is doing this okay on the ship?  Or are you expected to keep the suit jacket on?

Thanks.

no prob . My hubby does the same

5 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We dance. It's way too warm to dance with a jacket on. Mister hangs his on the chair as you described.

We dance too, but I wear vests with my tuxedo rather than a cummerbund on formal nights.   Cummerbunds always seem to move out of place on my body whlle dancing and can look rather sloppy with the jocket off.   

2 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Very unusual at dinner. Perhaps more common in the Queen's Room.

I am okay with it being uncommon. Many times I am the first to remove my jacket.  (although others often follow, not wanting to wear it, but also not wanting to be first). I am okay with being the only guy with his jacket off at dinner,  so long as I am not at risk of a head waiter coming by with a stern “Sir, gentlemen are expected to wear their coat at dinner” 

3 hours ago, BobBranst said:

We dance too, but I wear vests with my tuxedo rather than a cummerbund on formal nights.   Cummerbunds always seem to move out of place on my body whlle dancing and can look rather sloppy with the jocket off.   

Oh, Mister has a couple of lovely waistcoats he wears.

You are not supposed to remove your jacket until The Queen has been toasted, followed by a announcement of "Gentlemen, you may now smoke" !

But since no one toasts The Queen and you can't smoke in any of the restaurants, you'll be waiting a long time !

I always keep mine on but only if I don't feel uncomfortable - if I feel too hot I will take it off because you don't want to be sitting there feeling (a word I can't think of).

8 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Thanks.

Well You did Ask 😉

I guess It's all about social graces !   Weddings, bar mitzvahs, retirements are usually a bit of a family affair and often include a party atmosphere . I appreciate you didn't mention removing your jacket whilst at dinner, however, hanging it on the back of the chair in the exquisite Britannia restaurant not forgetting  the grills ( considering one is only at table for around an hour and half or so)  is a bit Jack the Lad' ish in my book.

Perfectly acceptable/ common sense to remove it and feel more comfortable in the Queens Room or G32/night club.

9 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Thanks.

I may well be called old fashioned but would not remove my jacket and place it on the back of my chair at a formal dinner. That is the etiquette with which I was brought up - maybe etiquette has changed (maybe formal has changed) - I haven't.  Perhaps the important point is to have suiting fabric that is appropriate to the location.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Very unusual at dinner. Perhaps more common in the Queen's Room.

Absolutely.

Removing your jacket in the Queen's Room is sometimes necessary because you are moving and generating body heat.   Removing your coat in the dining room is quite another thing and not a good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobBranst said:

Absolutely.

Removing your jacket in the Queen's Room is sometimes necessary because you are moving and generating body heat.   Removing your coat in the dining room is quite another thing and not a good one.

Most black tie outfits are made of pretty light fabric - unless, of course, you’ve inherited your grandfather’s.  A dinner on formal night suggests a concession to formality, and most shipboard dining rooms are well air-conditioned. 

Man up - and keep your jacket on (or sail NCL).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

The OP never indicated he would remove his jacket in the dining room.

He did say “rather early in the evening” . “Evening” generally means from five or six PM until ten or eleven, so “rather early” suggests perhaps anything in the neighborhood of six or seven onward -  meaning during early dinner.

He went on to say that he was “okay with being the only guy with his jacket off at dinner” — which does, in fact, suggest he would do it in the dining room.

Edited by navybankerteacher

To be completely unambiguous the OP’s inquiry is about removing his jacket in the dining room both for formal and gala nights.

Still unclear, if this would merely be frowned upon by some other guests (like the woman who wore red to a black and white event) or would get thrown out (like how not having a jacket won’t get you a table)

Edited by ed01106

I don't cope very well with heat, however I have never had a problem feeling too hot in the MDR, Britannia Club or Queens Grill on Cunard with keeping my jacket on (and I often have a waistcoat on as well).

The only time I'd consider taking my jacket off would be if the temperature was too warm, but I'd first ask if they could do something about the temperature, and if not I'd ask my fellow diners at my table if they minded me taking my jacket off before removing it.

My friend did take his jacket off during dinner in QG on my last cruise however - though this was because one of the waiters managed to knock a glass of wine down his jacket and it was rushed off to be dry cleaned!

A couple turned up shortly afterwards at the next but one table and were obviously not impressed that my friend didn't have a jacket on, and started to talk about it loudly enough so we could hear them (I think it was deliberate!)   The Maitre D came over 5 minutes later to apologise about the spillage and to let us know the jacket would be back before 10am - said couple then looked a bit uncomfortable and embarrassed for the rest of the meal! : )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of my former colleagues was a ( real) earl.

In his family, for lunch and dinner, suit and tie was mandatory and the one rule was: Jacket stays on! No matter what!

Later he still refused to remove his jacket even after our bosses removed theirs after dinner ( never happened during). Out of respect to him, my jacket stays on. Always.

And that happens with most guests on QM2 as long as you are in the diningroom.

Having said this, most of the "dresscode" questions here on the board bear the question, what would be the absolute minimum to comply with the dresscode - or less. Or to find a loophole in the code.

Often, the intention is to water down the (well known) dresscode and the question "do I get away with it?".

Why not complying to the code, look great and contribute to the enjoyment of the group.

A sportsjacket is not a jacket, sorry.

Edited by Yoshikitty

1 hour ago, Yoshikitty said:

A sportsjacket is not a jacket, sorry.

I would agree that it’s not appropriate for the formal/gala nights on Cunard, but I’d think it was fine for the other nights?

That was exactly my point:

if you are thinning down the dresscode to an absolute bare minimum, which you may be able to get away with - a sportsjacket may be your thing.

I have seen people with denim jackets in Britannia restaurant and maybe they thought they where smart. Well- they wheren‘t.

On 6/16/2019 at 2:29 AM, ed01106 said:

I am okay with being the only guy with his jacket off at dinner,  so long as I am not at risk of a head waiter coming by with a stern “Sir, gentlemen are expected to wear their coat at dinner 

That sums it up quite well. You stick out like a sore thumb but may get away with it, because others are just too polite to call it out.

Edited by Yoshikitty

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, ed01106 said:

Or are you expected to keep the suit jacket on?

Of course, you are. For most on board that is just basic social graces.

To help, the dress code says "Gentlemen, every night we request you wear smart trousers with a shirt and jacket", i.e. to wear, not to hang it over your chair or somewhere else or to carry it around over your arm or whatever.

3 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

That was exactly my point:

if you are thinning down the dresscode to an absolute bare minimum, which you may be able to get away with - a sportsjacket may be your thing.

I have seen people with denim jackets in Britannia restaurant and maybe they thought they where smart. Well- they wheren‘t.

I don’t think wearing a smart sports jacket to the Smart Attire evenings is thinning the dress code down to the absolute bare minimum.  It appears to be in line with the suggested attire on the what to wear pages of the Cunard Website.

I agree that denim jackets are inappropriate.

• Like 1