dress code question

ed01106

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

"Sports jacket" means different things in different countries, do you have a photograph of the sort of jacket you're talking about ?

I've seen some rather odd interpretations of jacket on board.

Something like the blazers under Smart Attire on here:

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

When the dress code for gala evenings specifies dinner jacket or dark suit it does not mean that you only have to show that you own one (and may take the jacket off at dinner) - it means you should WEAR it.   If it is appropriate to take it off during dinner, it would make as much sense to simply leave it in your closet.

This “too warm” to keep the jacket on theme is simply an attempted justification for ignoring  the dress code (unless, of course, there is a problem with the AC).

I don't understand the statement a sports jacket is not a jacket. 

As far as I understand,  you have 

Suit  jackets 

Sports jackets,  which can be very elegant but encompass a wide spectrum

Blazers

If you exclude suit jackets , which one would and should wear as part of a suit, and hence you would be wearing a suit.

Then you are left with Blazers and sports jackets. If sports jackets are not jackets  then all is left is Blazers, which if Cunard had meant blazers they would have said it. If Yoshkitty would like everyone in suits on non gala nights, then she is entitled to her option but that is not the dress code.  If she means one should keep to the elegant end of the jacket spectrum not the "day time Harris tweed" end of the spectrum  I'd agree.  However that is a matter of taste not  of the definition of what is a jacket, and is unenforceable. 

I wouldn't remove my jacket in the dining room, or elsewhere where one is required, but I would undo my bow tie in the bar.

The pictures were posted whilst I was typing Looking at the pictures above, number 3 is not a jacket but a short outdoor coat , the others 1 and 2 are jackets butat the less tailored end of the spectrum, number 4 is a modern design which I personally don't like but is at the elegant end. 

However  cunard can't dictate only well tailored jackets.

Quite interesting.  It's all down to interpretation.

For my part, a jacket is something you hang, and a sports jacket/coat is an item you throw in the back of one's car, as it looks like is already had, many many times.

It appears the dumbing down brigade will never give up, and will continue issuing various convulated interpretations to justify their fifth column actions against Cunard's Dress Code.

Luckily, there are Cunard Cruisers who remain vigilant, and have the courage to speak out.  If they did not, Cunard whould bow to the unchallenged pressure, and just become another casual cruise ship.

• Like 1

What Yoshikitty has shown is a coat because clearly it's designed to be worn outdoors for keeping you warm but what Underwatr ha shown is a sports jacket or blazer.

I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between a sports jacket and a blazer, but blazers tend to be either navy blue or black and have metal buttons (but not always).

I appreciate the suggestion I might find NCL more to my liking dress code wise.   And in general I agree with the principle of find the cruise that fits your style rather than expect the ship to adapt to your liking.  However, the only reason for me to choose Cunard over other lines is I don't like to fly, want to go to Europe, and Cunard has the only east bound transatlantic cruise that works for my travel window.  I have a choice of HAL or Cunard for the return and am choosing HAL for several reasons. 

I am most certainly asking what is the absolute minimum requirements per Cunard. 

From reading several other dress code threads (and in particular this one https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667044-todays-dress-code-quiz/)  It is quite obvious that there are many cruisers who feel that Cunard's standards are too low.   And while everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion.  My question is not: "do you personally feel that Cunard should or should not allow men to remove their jackets during dinner?"  Rather it is: "do they?"  

For example, it sounds from an earlier post that Cunard finds a denim jacket to be a suitable substitute for a suit jacket, but the poster of that replied does not.  I am not particularly concerned by what each individual cruiser thinks the dress code ought be, only what it actually is.  BTW, I would never wear a denim jacket as a suit coat.  Of the several jacket pictures only the first one and the one in the next post are ones I would consider wearing as a sport jacket.  But if Cunard finds them acceptable, I have never been bothered by what others wear as long as it is clean and doesn't smell.   

I am not anti-dressing up.  I just don't like eating with my jacket on, I find it uncomfortable.  And the dress code is not make or break for me taking and enjoying the cruise.  And I can always use the method of remove my jacket and if the waiter says something, choose at that time to either put it back on or leave and head to the buffet.  

However, I do know two women whose attitude that if you are wearing a two-piece suit and remove the jacket the look is too informal but if you are wearing a three-piece suit and remove the jacket the vest is fine to keep the look classy.  I don't know how widespread that attitude is, but if Cunard has a similar attitude, then that would certainly be reason to pack a three piece suit rather than a two piece suit.  So knowing that in advance would be helpful.  

I am not advocating for a change of the dress code, just want to know what it is as currently required by Cunard.  I will stay within the requirement, but I am not leaving my jacket on if not absolutely required, because some cruisers have higher standards than the cruise line.       

Edited by ed01106

Underwaters picture a very nice  well tailored jacket which looks great in blue

If it was not blue , and with say a subtle pattern one would  call it a sports jacket and it would still be a very nice tailored jacket that is a good example of what to wear. 

Yoskittys pictures are examples of what not to wear. 

Interesting that Cunard's pictures are not as elegant as underwaters jacket. It's a pitty his picture wasn't the example. 

The problem is that there is actually no name for a well tailored jacket, so you can't differentiate it by name from what was a orginally daytime outdoors wear, I.e. a sports jacket.

I will be wearing a well tailored jacket , not a blazer , and not an outdoor sports jacket.

• Like 1

When my husband and I dress up to go have a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, my husband leaves his jacket on... It is an etiquette thing. (He looks very handsome in it as well, I must say... I love looking over at him while we have a beautiful dinner. It makes me feel good that he has made an effort for me to look nice.)

Cunard is special and unique for many reasons- but one is because of the dress code.

People talk about the dress code and cherish it because it differentiates Cunard from other brands.

Certainly, not everyone loves fashion... I definitely love clothes much more than my husband- he certainly likes to be comfortable in real life... but that said, he does know how to look spiffy when we are going somewhere nice.

I have read this same discussion on other forums... and the majority statement from seasoned Cunarders is to leave the jacket on for dinner.

So my take (as a well dressed female's opinion) wear the jacket for etiquette and tradition... but also do it for the special occasion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Screenshot_20190617-163954__01-768x873.thumb.jpg.5982342e0f15ff8cb7e28646857c9679.jpg

Reading this thread has me slightly worried as I won’t be too dissimilar to this. 

Gala night I’m playing it safe with black bow tie and dinner suit (but my novice bow tie knot may raise a few eyebrows).

Jacket will be staying on for dinner and beyond though.

Edited by siforest65
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ed01106 said:

I am not anti-dressing up.  I just don't like eating with my jacket on, I find it uncomfortable.  And the dress code is not make or break for me taking and enjoying the cruise.  And I can always use the method of remove my jacket and if the waiter says something, choose at that time to either put it back on or leave and head to the buffet.  

I am not advocating for a change of the dress code, just want to know what it is as currently required by Cunard.  I will stay within the requirement, but I am not leaving my jacket on if not absolutely required, because some cruisers have higher standards than the cruise line.       

If you are against wearing your jacket during dinner on a gala night, it would seem you ARE “anti-dressing up”.  The point of a gala night is that men are expected to wear (NOT JUST OWN) the jacket that goes with their tuxedo or suit.  That is what the dress code provides. If you want not to comply, you ARE advocating for a change of the dress code.

Leaving it up to a waiter’s being willing to risk an embarrassing situation by having to remind you of what you should know is simply your way of saying that the waiter, and not Cunard, sets the standard.

The “some cruisers” you refer to have a right to expect that the standards Cunard (and not they) set will be maintained —- without having to hope that you are asked to leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siforest65 said:

Reading this thread has me slightly worried as I won’t be too dissimilar to this. 

I wore essentially that very outfit on whatever they now call the non-Gala nights and didn't hear any tsk-tsk behind my back. Fear not.

Edited by Underwatr

4 hours ago, siforest65 said:

Gala night I’m playing it safe with black bow tie and dinner suit (but my novice bow tie knot may raise a few eyebrows).

Jacket will be staying on for dinner and beyond though.

That picture: pressed khakis, collared shirt and navy blazer certainly seems right for non-gala nights.  That is my go-to outfit - with perhaps a pair of Breton reds in stead of khakis. 

8 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Screenshot_20190617-163954__01-768x873.thumb.jpg.5982342e0f15ff8cb7e28646857c9679.jpg

This is what my husband would call a sports jacket not what Yoshkitty posted which he would call a casual jacket.

Some of the purists here have us concerned for our 18 night cruise next year on QM2. Gala night is no problem as he will wear his tuxedo. On non-Gala nights he will wear a sports jackets. Our concern is he loves sports jackets as depicted above and has them many in colours varying from pale blue to wheat but also pale pink and watermelon. He was planning to bring a couple of the non traditional ones as well as standard.

My question is will we be shunned in the QG dining room as we are not being traditional?

Julie

Edited by frantic36

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

This is what my husband would call a sports jacket not what Yoshkitty posted which he would call a casual jacket.

Some of the purists here have us concerned for our 18 night cruise next year on QM2. Gala night is no problem as he will wear his tuxedo. On non-Gala nights he will wear a sports jackets. Our concern is he loves sports jackets as depicted above and has them many in colours varying from pale blue to wheat but also pale pink and watermelon. He was planning to bring a couple of the non traditional ones as well as standard.

My question is will we be shunned in the QG dining room as we are not being traditional?

Julie

Julie- I have every reason to believe that your husband is going to look incredible! 😊

I’ve seen some amazing pics on social media groups from real people sailing on Cunard on smart attire nights wearing jackets that are like the picture above and also in different colors. They look sharp and snappy!! (They also look like they are having a blast!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

Julie- I have every reason to believe that your husband is going to look incredible! 😊

I’ve seen some amazing pics on social media groups from real people sailing on Cunard on smart attire nights wearing jackets that are like the picture above and also in different colors. They look sharp and snappy!! (They also look like they are having a blast!)

Thank you for the reassurance naturelovergirl. I have seen some of those photos as well but was starting to get worried.

I find it ironic that usually my husband and I are amongst the ones commenting on dress codes who are concerned about the trend to going more casual 😁.

We had fun at our dance class last night and are looking forward to dancing on QM2 next March. We are being taught  to follow "line of dance".

Julie

• Like 3