Is a 12:30 pm LaGuardia flight too early

63galaxie

Just booked a cruise on Escape for next Sunday 6/23-6/30.  I booked a flight home for 12:30 pm out of La Guardia on Sunday morning. Will I make it to the airport if the ship returns on time?

whats traffic like that time of day?  Ty

It would have helped if you had stated where you were docking at and when.Guessing that you are arriving at New York at 7.00am, I would have thought 5 and a half hours would be time to get to the airport. Would it not have been better to check on the times though, before you actually booked the cruise?

If the ship is on time, disembarkation should begin around 7:30 and you'll have no problem making that flight. I've had flights as early as 10:00 a.m. and made them but that was cutting it close. It's a short ride from the pier to LGA assuming no traffic delays.

• Thanks 1

you should be fine. Normally the rule of thumb is don't try to book a flight before noon.. of course anything can happen but it is rare. Remember, baring something really unusual people are already coming on the ship for the next cruise by about 11am 

• Thanks 1

Sunday morning is a good time to return to LGA. Usually

little to no traffic.We have done 12:30 before and once we got to the airport

had quite a long wait as the trip to the airport was quick. I would rather have

that then cut it close.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 63galaxie said:

Just booked a cruise on Escape for next Sunday 6/23-6/30.  I booked a flight home for 12:30 pm out of La Guardia on Sunday morning. Will I make it to the airport if the ship returns on time?

Pick the earliest self walk off option(there are 3 time slots) and get in line early. The first one is for 7:45 to 8, I chose the 8-8:30 one yesterday and got to deck 7 around 7:45 and it was packed. I think it was a little after 8 when the ship finally got cleared, they called several passengers names and told them to bring documentation with them to Moderno so they must have had an issue.

• Thanks 1

One Sunday there was a shortage of customs officials, we did early walkoff, and didn’t get through customs until 10:45. However, we didn’t know to grab a porter to get though customs much faster. Definitely do this (and tip nicely).

• Thanks 1

While I think you should be ok, please allow extra time for the construction at LaGuardia. I picked up my nephew last Thursday at 1am and it took me 30 minutes just to get off the exit and another 15-20 to get to the terminal. (B) I was coming from the other direction so it might not apply from those coming from the city but thought I would mention it. Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 63galaxie said:

Keep in mind that June 30th is the Gay Pride Parade in NYC. You should be fine but will definitely not be a normal traffic Sunday in the city.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Keep in mind that June 30th is the Gay Pride Parade in NYC. You should be fine but will definitely not be a normal traffic Sunday in the city.

Hmm. Do you happen to have an opinion on how this would affect LGA -> Manhattan cruise terminal that morning? Would be arriving at LGA ~9am.

(Before anyone says it, I understand the typical advice is 'fly in the night before', can't.)

You can select one of the regular walk off times and make that flight without any problem. There is no need to rush and ruin the end of your vacation. As long as you are off the ship and in a cab by 10:00 all will be fine.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, perditax said:

Hmm. Do you happen to have an opinion on how this would affect LGA -> Manhattan cruise terminal that morning? Would be arriving at LGA ~9am.

(Before anyone says it, I understand the typical advice is 'fly in the night before', can't.)

It might take you a little longer to get to the pier, but if you flight is on time you will have at least 5 hours before you have to be on the ship, which is plenty of time even with the other things going on.

Here is a link to the parade route:

https://metrosource.com/worldprideguide/this-is-the-2019-nyc-pride-march-route/

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, perditax said:

You should be OK, the parade goes from 26th street on the East Side down 5th Avenue and hooks around the Village and ends on 23rd and 7th.  If your driver takes the Midtown Tunnel in that'll bring you in on 39th to get across to the West Side, if they go Queensboro Bridge it will bring you in on 58th.  I'd recommend taking the bridge due to Midtown South street closures due to the parade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For folks coming into LGA (thru 2021-22 with the ongoing construction) - please, always plan for and allow extra time after your flight landed and parked at the gate, to retrieve your luggage downstairs at arrival hall - including all gate-checked carry-on bags, none on the tarmac by the aircraft.  Follow signage & directions (greeters are on hand) to ground transportation - even if you do NOT have to take a 10-15 minutes free shuttle ride to find your Uber/car service or to the yellow taxi stands - it can take another 10 to 15 minutes to exit the airport's complicated network of service roadways onto the parkway, and to head for Manhattan (hotel & cruise terminal, etc.) ... a ride of 30+ minutes on weekend (Saturday's traffic is not light as Sunday morning) and 45 to 60+ minutes on weekdays. 

Post-cruise & disembarkation, allow 45 to 60+ minutes to get out to LGA from the Manhattan piers ... after you clear CBP & exited the terminal onto 12th Avenue.  Use of porter services is strongly recommended if you are in a hurry or running against the clock - can easily save you 30 extra minutes standing in the regular & long lines to queue up.  

This is frequently discussed on the East Coast forum  ... was at LGA during the last 2 weeks, uploaded some photos onto the LGA-411 thread ... as always, YMMV.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 63galaxie said:

Ty so much. That’s good to know. What deck or where does the line start?

Deck 7.  We were towards the aft so they snaked the line through the Manhattan Room dining room.  I think there was probably a line towards the front too. 

We had no line at customs and were outside 10 minutes after scanning off the ship, about 8:45. All the customs agent did was look at our passports and waved us through. He also wished me a happy fathers day.