Food allergy

Lilikins

My apologies since I am certain  this has been discussed but I am having difficulty with the search filter. One of my party has an allergy to nuts. It is unclear how severe since she was told by her mother she had a reaction as a child and was never tested. She is very careful to read every label and check everything while eating out. Is this something that we should report to the cruise line or TA prior to cruising or do we need to just notify our waiter at dinner?

On a related subject does anyone know if epipens are allowed in carryons for international flights? 

Make sure you inform the cruise line before you sail and I would be telling anyone serving me food that there are allergy concerns. Of course, they will have to be extra careful in the buffet.

Epipens are no problem on any flight. They are a medical necessity just like my insulin pens and I have traveled with those without incident.

With the epipen - prescription meds are allowed in carry on luggage. There could be some restrictions outside the U.S. That need is so serious that your friend should call the airline to make sure.

Contact the special needs department (866) 592-7225 to talk about her dietary needs. Once on board, your friend should visit the Maitre d' to discuss her dietary restrictions. 

If I was your friend, I would make an appointment with an allergist to clear up, once and for all, if I was allergic to nuts or not. Mother's medical anecdotes aren't always accurate. My mom talked about my near death experience with rubella so many times that I assumed I had rubella as a child. I found out after I was pregnant that I had no immunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

With the epipen - prescription meds are allowed in carry on luggage. There could be some restrictions outside the U.S. That need is so serious that your friend should call the airline to make sure.

Contact the special needs department (866) 592-7225 to talk about her dietary needs. Once on board, your friend should visit the Maitre d' to discuss her dietary restrictions. 

If I was your friend, I would make an appointment with an allergist to clear up, once and for all, if I was allergic to nuts or not. Mother's medical anecdotes aren't always accurate. My mom talked about my near death experience with rubella so many times that I assumed I had rubella as a child. I found out after I was pregnant that I had no immunity.

Agreed. And WHICH nuts. Peanuts? Tree nuts? Almonds? With nuts you have to be specific as you may not be allergic to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your responses! 

We we will follow up with the cruise line and airline. I’m honestly unsure why and how she has gone on this long without being officially tested. I have jokingly/kinda seriously suggested doing a test with a bunch of peanuts and me on standby to administer an epipen and steroids in case she has a reaction.

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Agreed. And WHICH nuts. Peanuts? Tree nuts? Almonds? With nuts you have to be specific as you may not be allergic to all.

No idea. She has avoided all nuts just to be safe. 

9 minutes ago, Lilikins said:

We we will follow up with the cruise line and airline. I’m honestly unsure why and how she has gone on this long without being officially tested. I have jokingly/kinda seriously suggested doing a test with a bunch of peanuts and me on standby to administer an epipen and steroids in case she has a reaction.

Are you an allergist???  Seriously! A test like that should only be undertaken under the supervision/recommendation of an Allergist in their office.  And if this person is allergic to nuts, they may be allergic to other foods.  Please take this advice and see professional assistance.

• Like 4

I am a medical professional but not an allergist. I wasn’t truly being serious about doing any testing on my own. My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that I would - this was spoken out of frustration at her decision to go her entire life avoiding all nuts because of a childhood anecdote rather than confirmation by an allergist. I would very much like her to go to an allergist, however, she is an adult and it is her decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lilikins said:

I am a medical professional but not an allergist. I wasn’t truly being serious about doing any testing on my own. My apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that I would - this was spoken out of frustration at her decision to go her entire life avoiding all nuts because of a childhood anecdote rather than confirmation by an allergist. I would very much like her to go to an allergist, however, she is an adult and it is her decision.

Understood.  Maybe offer to go along with her to an allergist?  Try to explain the seriousness of this.  I know, very difficult to persuade people. 

35 minutes ago, Lilikins said:

I have a friend who claims many different food and drug allergies. As a child she had a severe reaction to penicillin and that has made her fearful. I've taken her to the ER when she has had reactions. So far, her reactions have turned out to be severe anxiety attacks. She also refuses to see an allergist. My conclusion is that her fear of allergies performs some useful purpose for her. 

10 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

I have a friend who claims many different food and drug allergies. As a child she had a severe reaction to penicillin and that has made her fearful. I've taken her to the ER when she has had reactions. So far, her reactions have turned out to be severe anxiety attacks. She also refuses to see an allergist. My conclusion is that her fear of allergies performs some useful purpose for her. 

I know that some allergies (foods among them) can be tested via a blood test so there is no risk of anaphylaxis with the test. My allergist did the scratch tests for environmental things but a blood test for foods to avoid the reaction risk.

• Like 1

Just a question, but IF the child you are talking about is a minor then you will need to get a power of attorney type form so that you can make medical decisions on her behalf during the cruise.  

14 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Just a question, but IF the child you are talking about is a minor then you will need to get a power of attorney type form so that you can make medical decisions on her behalf during the cruise.  

? As I stated above, the person in question is an adult.

I have no plans to kidnap a child and make medical decisions for him/her. Not exactly my idea of a fun vacation.

9 hours ago, Lilikins said:

We travel a lot. Flying and cruising. I have numerous deadly allergies and ALWAYS carry two epipens. When flying you put your meds in a ziplock bag. I carry eye drops and nasal sprays as well, all in the same bag. It’s best to pull them out of the-carryon and put it on the conveyor at security. The airline is no problem.

I usually have my epipens in my purse when we board the ship. 

Hope this helps

Dee 

11 hours ago, Lilikins said:

My apologies since I am certain  this has been discussed but I am having difficulty with the search filter. One of my party has an allergy to nuts. It is unclear how severe since she was told by her mother she had a reaction as a child and was never tested. She is very careful to read every label and check everything while eating out. Is this something that we should report to the cruise line or TA prior to cruising or do we need to just notify our waiter at dinner?

On a related subject does anyone know if epipens are allowed in carryons for international flights? 

Is it possible for the one (1) in your party to be tested by their allergist before sailing, this may go a long way to either confirm or de-bunk the issue about their nut allergy..

Yes, report it to X before departure and re-confirm once aboard...

No problem with bringing an Epipen while flying.

bon voyage

Thank you Dee. 

In the United States Epi-pens are prescription only. I am not sure about other countries.

I do not know her exact circumstances. I know that many drs are lax about requiring documentation when someone requests an Epi-pen for a reported serious allergy. Allergy tests are not covered by all insurances (if they have insurance at all) and out of pocket costs are high. Many aren’t willing to risk a patients life by refusing one. 

My daughter (age 25) has a number of food allergies as well as many food sensitivities.  She reacts to ingested soy, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, egg plant, melon, oranges, apples, pears, peaches (along with other fruit that has a pit like a nut).  

We always email special_needs@celebrity.com and get it on her reservation.  

When we board, she speaks to the host or matre’D and places her order for dinner while letting them know of her allergies.  Each evening she places her order for the next day.  She always finds plenty to eat.  She does eat most meals in the MDR.  

She carries two epi-pens, I carry two more.  She carries liquid Benadryl.  So far, so good.

• Thanks 2

It does sound like a good idea for your friend to see an allergist. That said, she should be aware that allergy testing is far from perfect. There can be false positive and negative results with both skin and blood allergy testing. And results don’t necessarily come back as a clear cut yes/no result— antibody levels may come back in the equivocal middling range. If that turns out to be the case, and there isn’t time or opportunity for a “food allergen challenge” in the controlled setting of an allergist’s office, then avoidance may be the best approach in the cruise setting. But there should be no problems bringing epipens on board. And there is enough awareness of nut allergies these days that waitstaff can check to see if there are nut ingredients.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lilikins said:

Thank you Dee. 

In the United States Epi-pens are prescription only. I am not sure about other countries.

I do not know her exact circumstances. I know that many drs are lax about requiring documentation when someone requests an Epi-pen for a reported serious allergy. Allergy tests are not covered by all insurances (if they have insurance at all) and out of pocket costs are high. Many aren’t willing to risk a patients life by refusing one. 

I'd rather pay out of pocket for an allergy test than even with insurance pay the ridiculous price for EpiPens. Thankfully my peanut allergy is ingestion only, and I'm an adult quite capable of asking if something has peanuts in it, so I just carry chewable Benadryl. Much less than $500+ for an EpiPen - and that is WITH insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1