LIVE: Island Princess to Alaska and Back, June 19-July 3

geoherb

The total number of days among the top 40 passengers on this cruise is 8,795. It added up to fewer days last week, but if I posted the number, I don’t see it. I talked to the officer who was looking for missing passengers in Juneau. She said that the four people who missed the ship there caught up with us in Ketchikan yesterday. So I guess the person who said that two people missed the ship was half right. Everyone made it on board in Ketchikan.

Having the cocktail party in the library was tight. They had little tables set up with four chairs each. They pulled up a fifth chair for us so that the California couple could join the Texas couple and me. It was nice being able to pick our own companions for the party, but there was not room to circulate and talk with others during the party. The lights that are bolted the floor got in the way. The officers circulated among the tables. It would have been nice if they had made one last pass through the party with food and drinks after all the introduction of officers and the captain’s speech. But perhaps they did not want to encourage us to stay.

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

MissP22, I think you are on the wrong ship, this live is on the Island Princess, not the Royal, I noticed in an earlier post you also refernced the cocktail party is so much nicer on Royal compared to other ships. I agree as I have attended a top 40 event on the Royal in Club 6,  but this thread is on the Island.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Huh?

Thanks. Was I ever confused. :classic_laugh:

19 hours ago, geoherb said:

TM: I booked the excursion through Princess and then filled in the best price guarantee form and emailed it as directed. The way it worked was that Princess charged my account $199.95 for the excursion. I booked it before the cruise, so I had to prepay. I had $125 in onboard credit and then charged $74.95 to a credit card. The difference in price with tax included worked out to $21. Princess refunded that amount plus 10 percent of the difference ($2.10), for a total refund of $23.10. 

What do you need to show to Princess to prove the outside agency charges a lower price?

Thank you. 

My trivia team tied with two other teams in the morning trivia—all three teams getting perfect scores. My team won the tiebreaker question. The leader gave us a choice of prizes. Two of us took the wine stoppers, one wanted a notebook, and three wanted the water bottles. We were back with the family. They missed joining us yesterday afternoon when we won water bottles.

The Alfredo’s lunch at Sabatini’s was not crowded. I missed it in the Patters on my first cruise and the first time they offered it on this cruise, which was the day in Glacier Bay. It wasn’t offered the day we went to Hubbard Glacier. They only offered it the day in Glacier Bay on the northbound cruise. The menu is just pizza. I wish they had the antipasti they offer on the Royal and Regal. My capricciosa pizza (without black olives) was very good, even if the basil was hidden. It’s much better than the pizza by the pool. 

As I was cleaning up to get ready to pack, I found my lost coffee card, the one with six punches left. I had planned to buy coffees for everyone. But now that there’s a possibility of us taking a cruise in August, I decided to save the punches for DH. If we end up not going, I’ll offer to mail the cards to someone who can use them before they expire at the end of August. I also found the slip of paper where I had written the number of days the top 40 accumulated as a group on the first cruise. It was 8,005. Most of the difference is that the most-traveled passenger this trip has over 500 more days than the most-traveled on the first cruise.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

What do you need to show to Princess to prove the outside agency charges a lower price?

Thank you. 

A link to the website of the company offering the same excursion.

From DH: We had a storm on Sunday night.  At least one tree down at the end of the alleyway that fell into Anita and David's driveway.  It landed on Anita's Audi.  No electricity until dawn on Tues.  No internet, so I called provider and they're supposed to come fix, if not fixed before on Thurs noon-2pm.  We'll be home after I pick you up at the airport.  I stayed at work tonight to catch up on your live!  It sounds great!  I know you are enjoying it!   Congrats on getting into the top 40 in the library.  I'm happy that your trivia teams have done so well.  Carolina Hurricanes Hockey:  Aho got an offer from the Habs and I'm certain the Canes will match it.  Do it again, Brock McGinn is going to arbitration.  Petr was signed to a 2 year deal.  You probably know all of this from reading the local paper online, but I just wanted to report.  Work has been busy with two people out this week.  Can't wait until you return home on Thurs and the long 4 day weekend!  Thanks thread followers for letting me update Geoherb with news from home!  :)

It was a relaxing afternoon. I went to the Voice of the Ocean. The winner was terrific. The only problem was she was on the same team as the second best singer. I wish she had chosen a different coach. Afterward was time for trivia. I played with the young couple, the father, and a new young couple. I was there early to stake out a table. The solo traveler went to the wrong place and showed up around question #5. We did not win. We had time after trivia to share the bottle of champagne she won at the Captain’s Circle party during the Platinum, Elite, and suite cocktail event. I finished packing my checked bag and had it out before dinner. I was the only who showed up at my table. I had three bottle stoppers and a notebook to give away to my tablemates. I ended up giving them to some people seated near me, including a woman with whom I ate breakfast this morning. I found a crew member to give my leftover sodas to. He was very appreciative. I’ve been filling out the “moments that matter award nomination” forms for the people who have excelled for me during this cruise. I’ve written down their names to include when I fill out the online survey.

It’s too bad your tablemates did not show up to dinner! 😢 I’ve really been enjoying your live and am sad it’s almost over. I will have to follow you on the next cruise to see if you end up using up the coffee card! 😄

Thanks, everyone, for following along. It’s going to be a long journey home. I fly out of Vancouver to Edmonton tonight at 7:15 and from there to Toronto overnight and then to home in North Carolina. I get back tomorrow morning. I hate redeye flights, but it was the only inexpensive option. Flying back today would have gotten me home around midnight for twice the price. I could have booked a hotel for the night and left early in the morning, but that was a couple of hundred dollars more for the flights plus the cost of the hotel. I found a couple of places near Canada Place that will store luggage so that I can wander around freely before catching the Sky Train to the airport. I plan to go there a few hours early.

Last night's performance of On the Bayou was great. I sat down front again. I went to watch the tail end of Quest after the show. It was fun. There weren't teams prepared with all the items like I've seen on Royal Caribbean cruises. Plus some of the things the host asked for were ones I haven't heard before.

I’m betting that the mainstream cruise lines will eventually do away with traditional dining. There are too many tables not being used or else not be fully used. On many nights, they brought up people from the anytime dining room to fill some of the unused tables around 30 minutes after the dining room opened. The anniversary couple did not plan on the flu, so they’re ditching the table assignment is understandable. And I knew the solo woman was eating at Sabatini’s last night. If the other couple had told me when I saw them yesterday afternoon that they would not be there, I would have eaten elsewhere. If I take another solo cruise, I’ll ask for anytime dining rather than risk being assigned with people who don’t show up on a whim. We’ve had the same problem on a few cruises, but it’s not as bad when you’re a couple at a large table when others don’t show up. I was lucky to have had great folks at my table on the first cruise.

I’m taking back all of the Patters from the week to post after I get home. I’ll end up with more than the 50 minutes of internet access I fought for—but it was nice to have them there so I did not worry about running out of them last night when it took a long time to check in for my flights. 

55 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I’m betting that the mainstream cruise lines will eventually do away with traditional dining. There are too many tables not being used or else not be fully used. On many nights, they brought up people from the anytime dining room to fill some of the unused tables around 30 minutes after the dining room opened.

It's fine with me but I'd almost bet that if they do go in that direction they'll be assigning tables for the whole cruise upon request which IMO defeats the idea if anytime seating altogether. It's bad enough now and I can only see it getting much worse.

I sure will miss reading your "Live From" every morning.  If you do go on another Alaska cruise in August, will you do the same itinerary?  The 10 day on the Grand goes to Sitka and Haines.  However, if you happen to be on the Island on the Aug. 7, let me know.  One final question: what time did they have the Voice of the Ocean?  I hate it when it conflicts with 2nd seating dinner, because we have to leave the show before it's over.  

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise.😎 I have been following cruises and travels this month of friends and family as well as CC members on Facebook. The pics and reports were a pleasure to wake up to instead of the negativity so prevalent online today. Alas , everyone is ending their vacations and Facebook will be back to normal.

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

I’m betting that the mainstream cruise lines will eventually do away with traditional dining. There are too many tables not being used or else not be fully used. On many nights, they brought up people from the anytime dining room to fill some of the unused tables around 30 minutes after the dining room opened. 

On our last cruise (Regal) we were seated in the Club Class MDR when there were several people waiting at the Anytime MDR.  I could see Princess switching to Club Class and Anytime, and doing away with Traditional too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geoherb said:

Last night's performance of On the Bayou was great. I sat down front again. I went to watch the tail end of Quest after the show. It was fun. There weren't teams prepared with all the items like I've seen on Royal Caribbean cruises. Plus some of the things the host asked for were ones I haven't heard before.

I’m taking back all of the Patters from the week to post after I get home. I’ll end up with more than the 50 minutes of internet access I fought for—but it was nice to have them there so I did not worry about running out of them last night when it took a long time to check in for my flights. 

First let me say I have enjoyed your cruise from a far and I pray for safe travels home!  I will be looking forward to reading the Patter's since I recently scheduled our first Alaskan cruise for our DNephew's wedding aboard ship.

What is a Quest?  I have been on 2 Princess and 2 RCL and don't remember any Quest show, but they are years ago.  

On 7/3/2019 at 11:58 AM, CruzinNoony said:

I sure will miss reading your "Live From" every morning.  If you do go on another Alaska cruise in August, will you do the same itinerary?  The 10 day on the Grand goes to Sitka and Haines.  However, if you happen to be on the Island on the Aug. 7, let me know.  One final question: what time did they have the Voice of the Ocean?  I hate it when it conflicts with 2nd seating dinner, because we have to leave the show before it's over.  

Thanks. The Voice of the Ocean was 2:45 on the last sea day on both cruises. (It's listed as the College Fjord day on the northbound itinerary, but before the ship gets there.) I went to the free for Elites wine tasting on the northbound cruise and the Voice on the southbound. 

Any cruise we take will have to be the last two weeks of August since DH will be working the first half. I'd gladly do the same itinerary again this year if sharing it with him. 

Edited by geoherb

On 7/3/2019 at 2:46 PM, szubieta said:

First let me say I have enjoyed your cruise from a far and I pray for safe travels home!  I will be looking forward to reading the Patter's since I recently scheduled our first Alaskan cruise for our DNephew's wedding aboard ship.

What is a Quest?  I have been on 2 Princess and 2 RCL and don't remember any Quest show, but they are years ago.  

Our internet at home is down. There was a violent storm Sunday that toppled trees and damaged AT&T's box at the end of our block. Thankfully no damage in our yard. I will post the scans of the Patters when I get internet back for my laptop. 

Quest is a team game hosted by members of the cruise director's staff. The teams earn points by bringing items to the host or doing things.  More points for the first few teams. The problem I've seen on Royal Caribbean has been teams prepared with items in advance rather than just happening to have them. 

Welcome back to the Lower 48. Hope you're not too jet lagged and that you get your home internet back soon. Keep me posted in private FB msgs on you and DH's upcoming plans. Maybe I'll tag along (even if without my DH who needs to save his vacay days for the big Nov trip). 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, geoherb said:

Quest is a team game hosted by members of the cruise director's staff. The teams earn points by bringing items to the host or doing things.  More points for the first few teams. The problem I've seen on Royal Caribbean has been teams prepared with items in advance rather than just happening to have them. 

Yes, I totally forgot about it, my husband reminded me.  I do remember someone brought a bag full of things to it, the CD called them on it and they we ejected.  But I don't remember which cruise line.

We did not have internet when I got home. A big tree fell over in a storm on Sunday at the end of the block. AT&T finally fixed it today. Here’s what I started writing while waiting for my flights and then just finished up.

I had a good day in Vancouver. I stored my large back at the Waterfront Station. The place that rents bikes there also stores bags for $8 plus tax. I’m not sure what it will be in U.S. dollars. I walked to Stanley Park to visit the aquarium there. It has a lot of good exhibits, including a butterfly house, lots of tropical fish, extensive exhibits on native fish and other aquatic life, sea lions, sea otters, and a white dolphin. The 4D movie experience is also great. When we were in Vancouver in 2012, we spent the night. We had time to walk farther into Stanley Park but did not go to the aquarium on that trip. 

From Stanley Park, I walked back on the street that’s parallel to the waterfront but a few blocks up. I ate lunch at the Pink Elephant, a Thai restaurant. It was very good. I went to Nordstrum’s and Hudson Bay department stores. The latter, of course, is a Canadian institution. I did not buy anything. I went back to the Waterfront Station to pick up my checked bag and catch the Sky Train to the airport. I made it there about three hours early. I walked around looking for something to eat. I settled on the only sit-down place: a restaurant named Monk’s. I had a chicken, provolone, and bacon panini with a side salad. It was very good. 

My flights on Air Canada went off without delay, thankfully. The first one, from Vancouver to Edmonton, was not very comfortable. I was in the middle seat, which wasn’t great, but it was more the lack of padding in the seat that made it uncomfortable. I’m glad it was a short flight. I had a three-hour layover in Edmonton. The flight to Toronto took off at 12:50 a.m. It arrived around 6:30 a.m.—with two of the hours due to the change in time zones. I did not sleep much on the flight. 

I’m glad I had plenty of time in Toronto. I went through U.S. Customs there. The distance between the gates of domestic Canadian flights and those heading to the U.S. is far, plus having to go through security again. I had to empty my water bottle but fortunately got to keep it.

I finished reading Where the Crawdads Sing on my flight home. I'm glad I saved it for my flights and waiting time in the airports. Since I had already gone through Customs, I did not have to do it again. My checked bag was coming onto the carousel as I walked up. I called DH as soon as I got off the plane. He was already on his way. But then as I was waiting at the curb, I saw him drive by in the wrong lane. He had to circle around the airport, another 7 or 8 minutes or so. I took a three-hour nap after getting home. I’m still a little bit jetlagged. 

Overall, I had a great time. If he works next summer, I'd go solo again if there's another last-minute bargain. I’m trying to talk DH into going back to Alaska in August after he finished his current work contract. I’m looking at the Coral Princess since the Island’s dates don’t work for his schedule. Our other possibility is a transatlantic cruise on the Crown in September, but that may not work with his mother's birthday. I'll try to get the rest of the Patters posted soon.

Edited by geoherb