barcelona hotel

I stayed at Barcelona Sants.   Hotel is right at the central train station and you can take a train from the airport directly to the hotel.  From the train station at the hotel you can access all areas of the city. There is a train that will drop you about 100 feet away from the port shuttle that takes you directly to the ship.  Fast and easy. 

Check out the Mediterranean cruise boards...lots of info there and it depends what attraction you want to be by. Most get a place around Las Ramblas, but when I went I picked a place in the gothic quarter near the cathedral. La Sagrada Famalia is in another area.

The Barcelona forum of tripadvisor has an excellent section on hotels and hotel locations under TOP QUESTIONS.   Basically they say that Placa Catalunya is considered the center of town .....staying within several blocks of the Placa gives you easy access to the HOHO bus, taxi ranks, Las Ramblas, Gothic Qtr, and metro.   And the port is only a 10 minute cab ride away.

Without knowing your budget or requirements it's hard to make a recommedation.  I used tripadvisor and looked at various hotels around the Placa.  Based on reviews and price I chose Hotel Lleo for our Sept visit.  IT's within 3 blocks of the Placa but not right on Las Ramblas.  I booked almost a yr ago and got a great price.  Good luck with your research !

I used the Hilton Diagonal Mar once.  It is a very nice hotel but you need a cab or bus to see the sights except for the beach, which you reach by foot.  I also used the Hilton Barcelona, which was in a quiet areas but also very lovely.  The last time I stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona a Marriott and it was also very nice and more centrally located.  

We had stayed at the Hotel Colon when we cruised out of Barcelona.  It faced Barcelona Cathedral, and had plenty of restaurants around it.  It was an easy walk to Las Ramblas, and the hop-on, hop-off was right down the street.  Would definitely recommend it.  

We have just returned home after our 5th stay in BCN today.

Hotel Barcelona Catedral is very close to Colon suggested above in a quieter side street off the square.  We chose for ease of access to the Palau de Musics Catalana for a show.

We just returned from a pre-cruise stay at the Hotel Jazz...very nice modern hotel and a wonderful hot buffet breakfast...Great location close to the Las Ramblas.

We've also stayed at Hotel 1898 another good choice which is right on the Las Ramblas.