Fort Lauderdale Smoking Hotel?

Please don't hate on me for this question.

I'm the one that asked about the "Pre-Cruise Hotel". I asked about what to do that morning before embarkation and I thank you all for your suggestions.

But, as a few posters pointed out, it just might be smarter to come in the day before and not worry about the red-eye flight being delayed.

My husband is a smoker, and it's nearly impossible to find a hotel that allows it. 

Anyone know if one exists near the port??

Thanks Again!     

1 hour ago, BlueHerons said:

I doubt any hotels still allow smoking.  Try for one with a balcony.  I know some of the Embassy Suite rooms have balconies but not sure if they are large enough to smoke on.

Quite likely smoking on the balcony is not allowed either. It would have to be outside the building proper.

According to their website Hilton Marina has smoking rooms. (Ignore my now deleted comment that certain Hampton Inns I have stayed at have smoking rooms--the two nearest the port are listed as smoke-free)

Edited by fishywood

9 hours ago, fishywood said:

According to their website Hilton Marina has smoking rooms. (Ignore my now deleted comment that certain Hampton Inns I have stayed at have smoking rooms--the two nearest the port are listed as smoke-free)

I would call to double check.  A lot of Hilton's have gone smoke-free, but their web sites haven't caught up with the new policy.

Your best bet would be a lower end place like a Days Inn, but I wouldn't want to stay in a place like that.  

Hilton corporate does have a policy that requires them to offer a sheltered (not climate controlled) smoking area with ashtrays away from major entrances into the hotel, so there's always that.

Be absolutely sure (CALL THE HOTEL) that it will allow smoking out on a balcony/patio if not in the room.  Hotels I have worked for, including my current hotel, did not allow smoking on the balcony/patio of a room.  It seeps into the room (trust me), and wafts up/down to the other balconies/patios to the displeasure of those guests.    I got a perverse joy out of adding the $250 "smoking fee" to the folio of a guest who tried to sneak a puff.  It does take a lot of extra cleaning for a smoking room - extra cleaners, an "ozone filtration" fan to try to remove the stench.  I've had guests refuse rooms even after we've done our best to clean.

If your DH needs to smoke, best to go outside, at least 25 ft. from any entry.  Don't smoke in the room, or balcony.  Or be sure to leave an extra-nice gratuity to the housekeepers who will have to spend double the time cleaning that room...

OK.  I did a little quick Google for you:  there is a website called "smoketels.com" where you can find hotels that have smoking rooms (supposedly).  I plugged in Fort Lauderdale and the "Days Inn Fort Lauderdale-Oakand Park Airport N" popped up.  

38 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Be absolutely sure (CALL THE HOTEL) that it will allow smoking out on a balcony/patio if not in the room.  Hotels I have worked for, including my current hotel, did not allow smoking on the balcony/patio of a room.  It seeps into the room (trust me), and wafts up/down to the other balconies/patios to the displeasure of those guests.    I got a perverse joy out of adding the $250 "smoking fee" to the folio of a guest who tried to sneak a puff.  It does take a lot of extra cleaning for a smoking room - extra cleaners, an "ozone filtration" fan to try to remove the stench.  I've had guests refuse rooms even after we've done our best to clean.

If your DH needs to smoke, best to go outside, at least 25 ft. from any entry.  Don't smoke in the room, or balcony.  Or be sure to leave an extra-nice gratuity to the housekeepers who will have to spend double the time cleaning that room...

OK.  I did a little quick Google for you:  there is a website called "smoketels.com" where you can find hotels that have smoking rooms (supposedly).  I plugged in Fort Lauderdale and the "Days Inn Fort Lauderdale-Oakand Park Airport N" popped up.  

I unfortunately got the room under the person who went out for a smoke on her balcony every morning (not allowed at that hotel).  The smoke drifted into my room.  I complained to the front desk.  They sent the executive housekeeper up who took one step into my room and backed out.  It didn't end well for the lady smoking as he was charged a cleaning fee not only for her room, but for mine as well.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

One night in that neighborhood will drive you to smoking substances much stronger than tobacco. That property is a notorious crack den/HO-tel. 

The Hilton Marina website does state "smoking available"

image.png.a7be0262311770a93fa8e90cddb622df.png

...but when I tried to do a mock booking there was no option for selecting/requesting a smoking room. So absolutely call the property direct as advised above.

5 hours ago, fishywood said:

One night in that neighborhood will drive you to smoking substances much stronger than tobacco. That property is a notorious crack den/HO-tel. 

The Hilton Marina website does state "smoking available"

image.png.a7be0262311770a93fa8e90cddb622df.png

...but when I tried to do a mock booking there was no option for selecting/requesting a smoking room. So absolutely call the property direct as advised above.

Hey, I was just trying to help!   I will say, some of those newly-legal (in some places) smoke products will make a room need a special cleaning, too.  But, it's a much mellower atmosphere when you do 😉

I'll stick with my "go outside and 25 ft away from any entry door."