Upgrading question

FaithPlus1

I guess this might be more geared towards though who have been on the Royal since there are no oceanview cabins. 

How likely is it that you will get an upgrade offer after booking an inside cabin to go to a balcony cabin, and what has the price range been?

A free upgrade?  Not likely.  A paid upsell (not an upgrade)?  Depends on how well your sailing is selling.  Have you checked inventory to see how sold out it is?  I was recently offered an upsell from oceanview to balcony for $249 per person which was ridiculous.  I could've paid close to that at the current rates.  The best offer I've seen so far is $99 per person from inside to balcony but that is pretty rare.

3 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

How can you check the inventory?

You can see available cabins if you look on the Princess website and go through a “mock” booking of the sail date you are interested in. You may not be able to see things like how many guarantees are booked and not yet assigned but you can see how many areas of the ship are sold out or show availability.

28 minutes ago, Sailaway617 said:

You can see available cabins if you look on the Princess website and go through a “mock” booking of the sail date you are interested in. You may not be able to see things like how many guarantees are booked and not yet assigned but you can see how many areas of the ship are sold out or show availability.

This doesn't really tell you anything, since it does not show guarantees sold. If they sold a lot of balcony guarantees, then you won't be getting an upsell offer. If they sold a lot of inside guarantees, then some people with insides will get an upsell offer.

They may sell more inside guarantees than they have insides available. If so, someone may get a good deal on a balcony upsell. But there really isn't any way to know.

4 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

How can you check the inventory?

I am not aware of any site that has accurate info on the number of cabin guarantees that have not been assigned a cabin. This distorts any  other figures

20 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

We did get a free upgrade on Royal some years ago to balcony but not any offers since than

That was probably before Princess discovered that passengers were willing to pay for an upsell instead of hoping for a free upgrade.

new(er) cruisers seem to get more upgrades ... multiple cruises on Princess get you a potential 'upsell' ...  IMNSHO

at least that's what 'seems' to be posted on CC

of course, now all the posters will come out to state they 'always' get an upgrade ... always

Edited by voljeep
  • Haha 1

Also depends on how far out from your cruise. After final payment when they drop reservations for non-payment and then the last two weeks from cancellations when they try to resell them.

I did get an  upsell week before a cruise from inside to balcony for $130 a person, though it was sold as per person per day. I knew it was from someone who cancelled because the room was setup for four people at night and we had a four top all to ourselves and asked when the other two in our party were going to show up.