Anxiety prior to long cruises

Petoonya

1 hour ago, LoriPhil said:

LynnTTT makes a great point - traveling now while you can is important.  We love building those experiences and memories, and it’s cool to be watching a movie or tv program and say “hey, I remember being there - that’s the day we ...”.  

That's how I always feel when I see the Woodstock movie.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, matamanoa said:

A quote from Mark Twain.  "

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbour.  Catch the trade winds in your sail.  Explore.  Dream.  Discover"

Just love your Mark Twain quote Barb.. I totally agree. We are looking forward to meeting up soon.  Karen 

11 minutes ago, kkinaus said:

Just love your Mark Twain quote Barb.. I totally agree. We are looking forward to meeting up soon.  Karen 

I keep that quote on my bulletin board near my computer so that I can read it each time we book a cruise.  Words to live by!

Barb

I don't think there's anything abnormal about it and I don't think it has anything to do with your age. I experience the same thing when traveling and I'm in my 30's. If you're the person who is used to taking care of things at home and you aren't there of course you're going to worry about what happens while you're gone.

Cruising is different as well, especially if you're taking longer ones. You're not just a phone call and a flight away. If something happens while you're at sea you are stuck there. I have pets as well so on top of the worry there is also the guilt of leaving them even when you know they are being well taken care of. 

I'm sure we've all experienced at least one 'drop everything and run' emergency calls from loved ones in our lives. The idea that were resigning ourselves to being unable to drop everything and run for a period of time should feel unsettling. This on top of the new environment were going to find ourselves in, familiarity breeds a feeling of safety unknown brings an element of fear and uncertainty.  

It is one of thing.... it seams as one get older in general... a lot of what ifs come to mind when travel for longer periods of time...

One thing for us is my mother of 93, still lives by herself... her health is good.... but we have a 26 night cruise late this year...

and the thought of what if something happens.....

My mother jokes and tells me not to worry... and she will leave a note to say put her on ice until we get home..

Cheers Don 

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

It is one of thing.... it seams as one get older in general... a lot of what ifs come to mind when travel for longer periods of time...

One thing for us is my mother of 93, still lives by herself... her health is good.... but we have a 26 night cruise late this year...

My mother jokes and tells me not to worry... and she will leave a note to say put her on ice until we get home..

Cheers Don 

I love your mother 🙂  We don't have that aspect but we have adult children and now grandchildren.   I remind myself that, since we're not doctors, there's nothing practical that we can do in case of an emergency.  And hopefully your mother has a support system beyond you.  Hmm, curious.  Does travel insurance address that issue?  Course if you're at sea then that's not a big help.

9 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don 

That sounds like something my late mother (she passed away at age 98) would say.

And my father (he passed away at age 101)  when he did pass away lingered for a few days so one of my brothers could finish a trip in Mexico.