Sunscreen -waxy yuck!

Hi everyone,

I hate wearing sunscreen every day because it seems to build up and leave a waxy feeling on my skin.   I hate taking a shower and it seems like it just won’t go away.

Soo—any tips on sunscreen that doesn’t have this feeling?  How do you work around this on a lengthy beach vacation?  Maybe its just me!

Thanks,
Cowie

I haven't had that problem yet except for some old AloeGator Gel back maybe 10 years ago.  If I'm just hanging out, I use either Neutrogena or Banana Boat or recently Coola products.  If I'm snorkeling or SUPing, I will put on a "reef-safe" product, most recently Badger or Thinksafe. 

I wear sunscreen anytime I am going outside, even at home.  

Do you use chemical sunscreens? Try mineral. Do you use mineral? Try chemical. Do you use water resistant? Try some that aren't.

I wear sunscreen every day. Have for decades. I am not wedded to any brand - I always try new stuff. I like the way some feel on application better than others - so if I don't like it on my face, I'll just use it on my body where I'm less picky. But I do it. Always :-)

• Like 1

I wear this on my face everyday; it even makes a good primer for makeup. Don’t recommend if you have dry skin. It’s the one with the pink cap. https://www.amazon.com/Missha-Around-Finish-SoltreeBundle-Natural/dp/B072635YF3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1PIDVC5AB2S8J&keywords=missha+sunscreen+soft+finish&qid=1561425407&s=gateway&sprefix=Missha+suns%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-4

They also have a blue cap version that I wear on my arms/legs when I’m not covered up (I almost always wear long sleeves outside; use a rash guard at the beach/pool).

And a green cap version that is waterproof. 

I have spent years and hundreds of dollars in wasted greasy products to find these!

I really like the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch (liquid) or the Body Mist spray. It's lightweight, absorbs well, and doesn't leave a waxy residue. When I shower at the end of the day, I don't feel like I have any residue left on me.

Edited by lab_love123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I intend to wear a long-sleeve rashguard on beach days from now on.  On our most recent private island day, I saw many others, both passengers and crew, wearing them.  At least my back and arms will be protected.

I saw a mention of a brush-on powder sunscreen, Paula's Choice, and I see that another one is noted above.  Has anyone tried these?  Do they give good coverage?  Decent appearance when applied?

I use Supergoop Unseen sunscreen (SPF 40) under my makeup every day.  It's a really good sunscreen -- no sunburn.  It's also great under makeup -- no pilling, no smudging.  I use a separate sunscreen for my eyes (Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream SPF 34) because everything else causes stinging and burning.  This works beautifully.  I also use an SPF lip balm (mostly, I just finish up my makeup with Perricone's no lipstick lipstick -- I love the perfect shade of neutral pink, and it has an SPF of 15).  I have one in my vanity and one in my purse.  I carry the Colorscience mineral powder in my purse and touch up my sunscreen throughout the day.

On body, I love Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch (SPF 100).  It's not perfect, but (especially if you allow it to set before you get dressed), it does not feel like you are wearing sunscreen.  I carry a Supergoop hand lotion (SPF 40, I think) in my purse.  So, after I wash my hands, I re-apply some SPF.

It's so much better than skin cancer.

• Like 1

I'm a sun worshiper....really bad when younger, and love my Caribbean cruises... but last month had half my right nostril removed due to basal cell cancer, and about 38 other squamous cell spots removed, and a lot more of them freeze-dried!!

I  use Lancome, and have sun block in my moisturizer, separate SPF50 as just a sun block, and there is more sunblock in my make-up. Unfortunately, someone last night told me my face looked chalky. So I'm going to start tsting some others

I'm still looking for a good body sunblock, even though I now always wear long sleeves. And a hat. And big sunglasses.

• Like 1