Taking sharp objects on board

cruisingaussies

We’re trying to finalise our move from France back to Australia. We have a few small, sharp kitchen items including an ice pick (sentimental value), that missed our shipment of personal effects. We’d like to take these on our upcoming X cruise, prior to flying back to Australia, as won’t be returning to our French base after the cruise. 

Is it possible to declare the items as we board the ship, and if so, can we be sure to have them returned to us when we disembark?

If no one has encountered this before, does anyone have an email contact at X where we could get a definite answer?

If they are in checked bags they would make it through TSA Airport screening.  They MIGHT make it onto the ship, but why chance it?  Choose a reputable shipper and ship them to your destination.

i know that scuba divers who bring their knives onto ships can declare them and have them stored in a locked area near the place where you disembark to go off the ship in ports.  This leads me to think that there would be a way for you to declare the knives and have them stored in the same area. But I still think it would be better to avoid all of that and just shipped them.

Edited by cruisestitch

My husband unwittingly travelled for a while with a large wicked hunting knife in his suitcase.  He does not hunt but got it as a “funny” present once from friends abroad.  It was in an inner zippered pocket and he completely forgot about it.  Never was an issue when flying as he checks his bag.  But next cruise his suitcase was not delivered to cabin and he had to go to “naughty room”.  Security officers took it out, bagged and labeled it.  He was told he could get it back when disembarking, what he did and he flew home with it again in his suitcase !

So would not be an issue on ship as long as you don’t forget to go and get them back on last day.

Edited by Michidoeme