Carnival's ports in DR ... how is Carnival handling this?

herb

4 hours ago, mikenbon said:

This was on John Heald's Facebook page this morning 

Quite a few of you have been asking about our calls to the Dominican Republic and in particular Amber Cove so I wanted to share this important message with you.

The safety of our guests is our number one priority. While no Carnival shore excursions visit any of the resorts which have been in the news, we continue to monitor the recent events in the Dominican Republic and routinely review information provided by the U.S. State Department.  The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo is actively working with the Government of the Dominican Republic and the private sector to ensure that U.S. citizens are safe and feel safe.  

The food and beverage operation in Amber Cove is run by a global catering company that has been in service for over 25 years and also serves many major airlines and all airports in the Dominican Republic.  By law, they are required to import all their food and beverage products.  All cleaning products used by the facilities operator are approved by the FDA and EPA.  

So I hope that helps reassure you and I know that you will enjoy this superb port of call and have a brilliant time there

cheers

So all the food is imported, huh?  I wonder from where the "local goodies" included with my Poolside Cabana at AC are imported. Puerto Plata?:classic_rolleyes:

"Cabana Includes:

Small bottles of water

8 Sodas

1 basket of local goodies

Zip line all day pass (1 per person)

Amenities:

A/C

Fan

WIFI

TV with HDMI Cable

Showers

Mist Cooling System

Refrigerator

2 Lounge chairs

Living Room Set (chairs, coffee table and table)"

8 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Carnival is celebrating because its going to cause more people to stay in their locked down compound instead of actually experiencing the dominican republic

Really, you think they are celebrating 11 people who have dies there recently?

• Like 1

Anyone see an issue with us taking a soft sided road trip type cooler with us on our atv excursion with waters and sodas? 

It would definitely be smaller than 12 x 12 x 12 and have a strap so it looks more like a backpack.

We aren't sailing until next FEB but hey, I guess we can be prepared just in case the craziness continues.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, jdemps said:

Anyone see an issue with us taking a soft sided road trip type cooler with us on our atv excursion with waters and sodas? 

It would definitely be smaller than 12 x 12 x 12 and have a strap so it looks more like a backpack.

We aren't sailing until next FEB but hey, I guess we can be prepared just in case the craziness continues.

Thanks.

I cannot think of a reason that it would be a problem.

18 hours ago, maryred said:

SInce Amber Cove opened does Carnival or any of their 9 associated cruise lines even dock at La Romana anymore?

It would be nice to reassure everyone that Amber Cove is over 4 hours away from Punta Cana where most of these unfortunate deaths and severe gastro-illness have happened, but in the long run since this is an island there is a chance that some of the businesses at  Amber Cove and Puerto Plata could be supplied by the same wholesalers as the resorts being investigated. 

For those that are worried my advice would be to bring canned or bottled beverages off the ship. On most islands there is no restrictions on taking bottled libations, though specific tours, excursion, or attractions may ask that you don't. You can also bring manufacturer sealed factory made foods or snacks, if you need to eat while on land and are distrustful of the local offerings. Remember they suspect (hence the investigation) that some of the deaths over the last 18 months may be linked to tainted beverages (not just alcohol) or beverage containers that may of been coated with a pesticide, and the distressing gastro illness (all they know is it was not noro) that struck many on that HS senior trip could be from food poisoning (at least that is what that particular resort is stating).

Our Dec Horizon sailing is going to La Romana -- we'd rather go to Amber Cove. We know we're being a bit dramatic but TWO of the deaths happened in LR so we might just...stay...on...the...ship. We can swim on the ship and that's all we were gonna do off of it anyway so we'd rather be dramatic and safe than sorry you know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, evandbob said:

Ihey need to do a better job of reporting facts and leave out their defensive posturing.  

You can't report on facts until after an investigation determines what the facts are. Speculating on rumors is of no factual value and best to call them what they are.

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

Look how Carnival handles the deaths of pax on their cruise ships, they start with "Passenger safety has always been our #1 priority......."  {But Carnival doesn't announce how many deaths occur on their ships.}

I don't think it would be an appropriate or a relevant statistic to announce or publish.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, evandbob said:

I also stayed on the ship when the Horizon docked at Amber Cove, but not for safety reasons.  My choice was dictated by my negativity about AC, there's nothing there that interests me.  Besides, I got to peddle the sky ride several times since there were no lines.

I certainly agree with the lousy communications and reports coming from the DR gov officials.  They need to do a better job of reporting facts and leave out their defensive posturing.  Look how Carnival handles the deaths of pax on their cruise ships, they start with "Passenger safety has always been our #1 priority......."  {But Carnival doesn't announce how many deaths occur on their ships.}

Why would or should they? Does Disneyland, Disneyworld, hotels or any other place people vacation at report this info?

On 6/24/2019 at 4:48 AM, jbethel11 said:

Yes, I received that broadcast as well. Very sad. Quite frankly, I think Carnival putting out a statement as they did with Cuba would benefit them. Saying, "The recent poisonings have not effected Amber Cove in resorts in the Dominican Republic" would put many passengers at ease. 

John Heald recently said on his fb page that all the alcohol used in Amber Cove is imported in and closely monitored. I believe if you go to his page you can read his exact words. My concern is that we have an excursion booked through Carnival to Coconut Cove, which is AI with alcohol and food on the beach. I’m a bit nervous about the excursion, but I wouldn’t be if I stayed in Amber Cove by pool.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, DaisyGirl55 said:

My husband and I are booked for an AI in Punta Cana for my birthday in November.  Price is great, amenities are extensive, and it is adults only.  Am I worried?  Not really.  We will be careful, just like we always have on the 50+ cruises we have been on.  Yes, I read that there are still new incidents of problems, but I am not going to let mass hysteria stop me from going.  I'll do my due diligence, and go for what I am sure will be a fabulous week at TRS Turquesa in Punta Cana.

My Punta Cana BDay getaway is also November - wrap around the 13th.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, AdGuyMG said:

I don't think it would be an appropriate or a relevant statistic to announce or publish.

Certainly not a good PR move for sure.  My point was that some folk get all upset about vacation safety in a place like the DR, yet they can be totally unaware of an even worse situation statistically (like a higher incidence of fatalities on a cruise ship).

Take our fear of sharks - one web site says 1 person is killed in the US annually by a shark, and just 6 worldwide.   Mosquitoes kill way more folk, so do coconuts, yet our reaction to a shark is mortal fear, annoyance with the skeeter, and indifference or some other blase notion toward the coconut.

All I'm saying is that if the # of fatalities on a cruise ship was ever factually published, that number would be way higher than the number of folk who have sadly perished in the DR, yet FTTF continues to be a sellout on most sailings.

As Spock would say: not logical.

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

All I'm saying is that if the # of fatalities on a cruise ship was ever factually published, that number would be way higher than the number of folk who have sadly perished in the DR, yet FTTF continues to be a sellout on most sailings.

D.R. government says there were a lot more American tourist deaths last year, but everyone's making a big deal out of these. Well, these string of recent deaths certainly are suspicious. All happening within a short time of one another and at only a few resorts. And that doesn't even count the people who vacationed there and got very sick, but made it home. Their government's statements regarding the recent deaths sure doesn't convince me that "there's nothing to see here." Just the opposite, in fact.

Also, what does FTTF have to do with it?

Yes, people do die on cruise ships every year. However, let’s say there was one Carnival ship where a woman was raped and beaten within an inch of her life, then the next month a couple dies together in their cabin, then a couple of weeks later someone else dies on the ship... and over a year 11 people who are seemingly healthy all died on the same ship. 

Now if Carnival Corp said.... nothing to see here folks....what would we all be saying? 

Edited by 3smithboys
  • Like 2