We've talked about how awful it is what they did on the Getaway, right?

PortFees45

16 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I said a couple of times on this trip that maybe I need to sail on a smaller ship. We’ve sailed the Joy and Escape because, well, we have kids. This time the kids hardly used the splash academy, liked the VR pavilion but wasn’t anything special, liked laser tag, but it only lasts ten minutes and we had a big clustercuss with the speedway and never even got to do it (NCL’s issue and another story).  Of the two days swimming was an enjoyable option (Alaska not NCL and expected) an adult threw up in the kids pool and they couldn’t even swim. 

I understand people pay big bucks for the haven. Maybe some day I will too and I’ll want what I pay for, but I don’t think I want to do that at the expense of the other guests. If the haven needs to be bigger and more people want that experience, maybe something is fundamentally wrong with the mega ship philosophy. 

Anyway, I am definitely going to keep my options open for the next cruise. Maybe a smaller class of ship or another brand. It all started to feel just a bit too overwhelming between the issues we ran into, the largeness of the ship, the class system, the upcharges for everything...just “extra” as the kids say.  

Edited by careyayn22
  • Like 2

Sooo, I’ve only been on about 3 NCL cruises.  I’ve been on over 50 cruises on other lines.  What I don’t understand is the Haven.  If you want that type of cruise, why not sail Cunard or Seabourn? I get the total exclusive areas, but, if I wanted that type of service and was willing to pay for it I personally would cruise a different line.  NCL is a mass market cruise line.  Just don’t understand paying that kind of money for Haven.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gardengirl2011 said:

Sooo, I’ve only been on about 3 NCL cruises.  I’ve been on over 50 cruises on other lines.  What I don’t understand is the Haven.  If you want that type of cruise, why not sail Cunard or Seabourn? I get the total exclusive areas, but, if I wanted that type of service and was willing to pay for it I personally would cruise a different line.  NCL is a mass market cruise line.  Just don’t understand paying that kind of money for Haven.

After my Haven experience on BA in April I won’t be repeating that silliness again. I do have one last NCL cruise coming up ($500 worth of CruiseNext certs goes a long way on last minute solo prices), but I nearly scrapped it in favor of a Cunard New England sailing leaving the same day. It was sold out by the time I made up my mind. I’ve also looked at Oceania, but that’s ... still NCL. 

(I’m basically agreeing with you. NCL megaships for cheap is acceptable, if you manage your expectations about crowds, pools, long dining times, disembark, etc. But when I’m in the mood to spend money, in the future it’ll be on some other line. My husband has a soft spot for DCL’s concierge product, but the prices are truly eye-watering. Do have a suite booked on Virgin next year, we’ll see how that pans out.)

Edited by perditax

5 minutes ago, gardengirl2011 said:

I think it’s so one can have the amenities of a large ship and the service of a more elite line. It’s pretty brilliant, and I understand the allure, but I also think you have a point there. When they start taking away the pleasures of the ship away from the masses to give to the few, there is a line crossed, and if one REALLY can’t stand the masses, perhaps a mega ship isn’t the place to be. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, mugtech said:

There are those of us out here who will only sail on Jewel class ships.

That be me.  No desire to even look into the big ships, having to make reservations for...everything, where's the fun in that.  All the stories posted on the NCL forum of racing onto ships to make bookings, sardine canned pool decks, etc.etc.  Give me Jewel class anytime.

Edited by Aesop081
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardengirl2011 said:

I can drive from my house and be at the dock in 30 minutes. Then I can have the amenities of a big ship, but be in a 'ship within a ship'. When I get back I can get off the ship, and be home and unpacked within the hour. That is very close to having a private cruise for the couple of times that we have had the urge. Which isn't often. TBO.

The really big issue that seems to be going on at the moment is that I don't know for sure if those other luxury cruise lines can accommodate people who have a requirement for Three Cheese Ziti. There are other posts on here where TCZ is the newest trend. It is a major thing for some people. Myself included. People have been cancelling cruises, and emailing NCL Execs all over the place. I think NCL really has to lift their game on TCZ, especially with their high personal worth class of passengers, or else they are all going to slip away to the luxury brand cruise lines. You can up-sell the Haven all you want, but if someone can go to some Gucci cruise line and get TCZ at a slight price premium and no hassle, people will do it in a heartbeat.

TBPO, NCL has totally mis-read the market on TCZ. There have been conflicting posts on here, and while some ships can do it, others seem to not not be able to. It is the inconsistency that is generating the outrage. NCL seems to expect that Haven guests will walk all the way to the back of the ship to get their own MDR TCZ, when an amateur chef could make a spectacular fettuccine al burro in just minutes. I just don't understand the logic of it all. 

NCL have been given fair warning by the number of posts regarding TCZ. Whether they choose to heed the advice or not is up to them. I am pretty much done with it. If they want return business they need to stop and listen. People aren't paying that sort of money to be told 'No Three Cheese Ziti for you'. For the love of God, what would happen if you asked for an extra piece of garlic bread? It's ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was cruising during the TCZ drama, apparently, so I am filling in the blanks here with all the allusions to the infamous post. I’m guessing most  of your post is sarcasm. I admit I am alarmed by some of the crazy posts I’ve seen about having to rub elbows with the unwashed masses. Ffs. Ship within a ship or not, “you’re” still just a cruiser on NCL. You’re new money bougie at best. 

I do bet it is a little easier to afford the haven if one doesn’t need to buy airline tickets. I never really thought about that. We have to fly everywhere. It would be great to live near or in a port city or area. 

Edited by careyayn22
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, perditax said:

I saw it discussed in another thread about a month ago, yes, but lately some (possibly unemployed? tons of free time) posters are making sure only Haven drama threads stay at the top all the time.

Hi

Just wanted to point out that if you were paying attention, on this site there are many people including myself who have been cruising regularly since the early 80's.

Without thinking too hard most of these people are older. While I guess I could be considered to be unemployed, it is of my choosing, most people call it retirement. Since my time is my own, I guess some could think I have "tons of free time", but I don't necessarily see that as bad, at least not yet. 😃 After I get all my chores done, I always wonder how I found time to go to work for so many years.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wanted to point out that if you were paying attention, on this site there are many people including myself who have been cruising regularly since the early 80's.

Without thinking too hard most of these people are older. While I guess I could be considered to be unemployed, it is of my choosing, most people call it retirement. Since my time is my own, I guess some could think I have "tons of free time", but I don't necessarily see that as bad, at least not yet. 😃 After I get all my chores done, I always wonder how I found time to go to work for so many years.

Apologies. I was mostly referring to a specific “troll” poster who always seems to be here despite claims of some kind of high-powered job. 🙂 I painted with too broad a brush.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, perditax said:

One deck up from the buffet, Flamingo Grill was a fantastic, complimentary Cuban restaurant on the Getaway. It was the first meal I ever ate on a cruise ship. It did breakfast and lunch. For breakfast it was a traditional small buffet, but also had fantastic Cuban pastries (cheese and guava, for example). Lunch had amazing, fresh grilled chicken, black beans and rice, fried sweet plantains, fried yucca, and some other stuff I’m probably forgetting. Maybe ropa vieja or a pork dish. I can’t remember what they had for desserts because the plantains were always my dessert, but there was probably some tres leches cake or flan. 

I think it lasted 2-3 years after launch before it was converted to a paid venue. That was my first lesson in the Way of NCL. 

Big fan of the Flamingo Grill buffet. Smaller and less hectic than main buffet. In addition to the omelet option I lived the diced fruit cocktail and lime?cinnamon rolls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I understand why many think that it's bad but an expanded VIBE also mean that more people can get VIBR-passes. That's a good thing.

That's why they're doing this, more revenue. Same with an expansion for Haven space. I don't really use the pool deck and would go to Spice H2O if I am going to hangout in the sun. My quiet spot is a Waterfront comfy chair with headphones. 

Edited by Nola26

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I understand why many think that it's bad but an expanded VIBE also mean that more people can get VIBR-passes. That's a good thing.

A) Only for people who can afford them

B) If you can get them

and C) at the expense of the rest (Majority) of the PX

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, tjt87 said:

A) Only for people who can afford them

B) If you can get them

and C) at the expense of the rest (Majority) of the PX

A) People who can't afford it shall probably not cruise. If it really is "can't afford", cruising is a bad idea.

B) Exactly. More people will be able to get them if the area is expanded.

C) I understand that but it's the same with other areas too. A large kids club, a large buffet, a large theatre, many bars, many restaurants etc. are also at the expense of the people not needing/wanting those things.

• Like 2

I may be in the minority but I think this is a great idea. The people who camped out for Vibe passes only to be disappointed.  People pay more for a tourist trap excursion for 4 hours than a week Vibe pass.  If sunning on a deck is important to you on your cruise this is the best bang for the buck. No chair hogs. No worries about finding a chair.  No screaming kids in the hot tubs.  Even the Haven hot tubs are over run by kids or teenagers.  People pay just as much for a spa pass.  The days of all inclusive cruises ended a long time ago especially for NCL.  You pay for some entertainment, some restaurants and now even some private sun decks.  If sunning on a cruise was important to me, this would be the best thing ever and worth every cent.  I would sacrifice specialty dining for a Vibe pass if I was on a budget.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, careyayn22 said:

Yeah, we just got off the Joy. There are a lot of great things and a lot of SMH things going on. 

This was only my third cruise (second on NCL). I am wondering if I’d be happier on another line or if their weaknesses will be just as annoying. I find the “public” pools ridiculously small and the MDR was very disappointing. It does seem like the general riff raff is supposed to just be happy to be on the ship and not to question anything NCL does. 

there  are lots of choices out there . yes you can try another line which often is the best way to find out, rather than read rants about any one line, but I will add, every line has something that upsets their clientele. 

"If sunning on a deck is important to you"

Oh for Pete's sake...it's a CRUISE. Next you'll see people saying "If eating in a restaurant with waitstaff is important to you" to justify upcharges for anything besides the buffet. 

The "disappointment" of the people who don't get Vibe passes is irrelevant to me. Screw them. If there was adequate public deck space on the -Away class ships, then a Vibe wouldn't be necessary in the first place. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

A) People who can't afford it shall probably not cruise. If it really is "can't afford", cruising is a bad idea.

B) Exactly. More people will be able to get them if the area is expanded.

C) I understand that but it's the same with other areas too. A large kids club, a large buffet, a large theatre, many bars, many restaurants etc. are also at the expense of the people not needing/wanting those things.

So if you're not willing to pay absurd upcharges for access to parts of the ship that had been/should be open to all passengers,  and which by taking off limits substantially reduces the quality of life for most people on the ship in order to benefit a small group, then cruising is a "bad idea"?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

So if you're not willing to pay absurd upcharges for access to parts of the ship that had been/should be open to all passengers,  and which by taking off limits substantially reduces the quality of life for most people on the ship in order to benefit a small group, then cruising is a "bad idea"?

That is NOT what I said. I said that if someone can't afford VIBE cruising is probably  a bad idea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

The "disappointment" of the people who don't get Vibe passes is irrelevant to me. Screw them. If there was adequate public deck space on the -Away class ships, then a Vibe wouldn't be necessary in the first place. 

Very selfish of you!

I could say screw you to you for not booking Haven and paying for VIBE but I am to nice to do that.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

That is NOT what I said. I said that if someone can't afford VIBE cruising is probably  a bad idea.

So then you're confirming that's almost literally exactly what you said. 

There are some people who save carefully, budget for a cruise, can afford what they budget for, and don't have an extra $200/person to spend on access to a part of the ship that should be open to all passengers.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

It is the second time you have used “quality of life” in reference to an area of a cruise ship closed-off to the general public.

You need to re-evaluate what that phrase means in the context of your usage.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StolidCruiser said:

It is the second time you have used “quality of life” in reference to an area of a cruise ship closed-off to the general public.

You need to re-evaluate what that phrase means in the context of your usage.   

No, I really don't. Quality of life is a perfectly appropriate term for describing the quality of shipboard life on a cruise. That experience is substantially reduced when a huge portion of the upper decks that had been open to all passengers since Getaway was launched is now off limits...while passengers who previously would have enjoyed it are sardined into a remaining space that is overcrowded as it is. A massive diversion of resources to benefit the "1 percent" passengers who make up a tiny minority of the ship, while the rest of the passengers suffer. Perfect metaphor for the 2019 American economy. 

• Like 3