Port Canaveral Kennedy Space Center after cruise Excursion

In the description of the excursion, it says flights should be after 4:00 pm.  Our flight is at 3:50.  Do you think we are okay?  Or should we do the Air-boat tour that says flights should be after 1 pm?

What has been your experience? 

We got a car rental for the day at $52 so we are just going to drive there instead of taking the ship's tour and buy tickets senior tickets there. We are not concerned about getting to the airport as our flight does not leave until 7:30 pm. I just like the freedom of not being stuck in a bus.  

7 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

We got a car rental for the day at $52 so we are just going to drive there instead of taking the ship's tour and buy tickets senior tickets there. We are not concerned about getting to the airport as our flight does not leave until 7:30 pm. I just like the freedom of not being stuck in a bus.  

Only possible negative I have experienced is long, long, long lines everywhere we wanted to go/see/do.  I would imagine that a tour would not have to stand in those lines and waste valuable time.  Not positive but would bet.  Last of many visits over the years was August 2017 and it was hot and lines everywhere for everything including shopping and food.

We’re doing this tour as well and really looking forward to it.  Orlando offers valet service so it’s great that we won’t have to worry about our luggage.  We did a tour after a cruise in San Juan and finding your luggage at the airport was horrible!  We had to look through literally thousands of pieces of luggage from all cruise lines all in one area.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Only possible negative I have experienced is long, long, long lines everywhere we wanted to go/see/do.  I would imagine that a tour would not have to stand in those lines and waste valuable time.  Not positive but would bet.  Last of many visits over the years was August 2017 and it was hot and lines everywhere for everything including shopping and food.

We have not done this “tour” but based on past experiences with others, my guess is they get you to KSC and turn you loose to tour on your own with instructions on meeting at a specific place and time for drive to airport. 

KSC is an interesting experience, our 13 year old grandson loved it.  We were lucky that other than the line to buy tickets, it was a slow day there and we did not have long lines inside.  However, we were there all day and did not get to see every exhibit.

Sherri🙂

14 hours ago, sjb317 said:

We have not done this “tour” but based on past experiences with others, my guess is they get you to KSC and turn you loose to tour on your own with instructions on meeting at a specific place and time for drive to airport. 

KSC is an interesting experience, our 13 year old grandson loved it.  We were lucky that other than the line to buy tickets, it was a slow day there and we did not have long lines inside.  However, we were there all day and did not get 

Exactly...agree with Sherri...on our recent shore excursion, the tour buses took us from Port Canaveral to KSC and turned us loose.  They told us when and where to meet for our return to the ship.

The 3:50 flight would mean you'd have to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight...1:50pm.  KSC has so much to offer and so much to see.  Regrettably, the OP may not have enough time.

When I did this a couple of years ago it wasn't a set loose tour, you did have lots of free time but you moved around the place as a group.  Such as when the coach took you out to see the pads and crawlers they had one set aside waiting for our group.  

The excursion had us waiting outside the door for KSC to open and we had plenty of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 10:51 PM, UKWLDCruise said:

When I did this a couple of years ago it wasn't a set loose tour, you did have lots of free time but you moved around the place as a group.  Such as when the coach took you out to see the pads and crawlers they had one set aside waiting for our group.  

The excursion had us waiting outside the door for KSC to open and we had plenty of time.

Would you say you got more for the $$ doing the excursion? Trying to figure out what the VIP part means and if we want to spend the money for 3 of us to do the excursion. The luggage holding alone is a big plus over trying to sort that out ourselves.

Thanks

Orlando is a busy airport they say to be there 2 hours before flight I wouldn’t do less then 1 1/2 before. There is cool restaurant & Airboat rides on the way to airport from port on 520. We locals go there! 

Love the space center but you need quite a bit of time to see a fraction of the attractions.  See if you can rent a car, then prebook  an official tour.  But the tour time frames might not line up with your flights.  

The official tours bus you around the huge complex and offer some narration.  Worth the money.  

How about doing the Space Center tour before the cruise? We are flying down on Friday, then spend the day at the KSC on Saturday, then board on Sunday. The cost of admission is so much cheaper than paying for the ship excursion. Plus it gets us started on our cruise vacation on a great note. Just a thought.

23 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

How about doing the Space Center tour before the cruise? We are flying down on Friday, then spend the day at the KSC on Saturday, then board on Sunday. The cost of admission is so much cheaper than paying for the ship excursion. Plus it gets us started on our cruise vacation on a great note. Just a thought.

I agree with Swank Pad G. We did KSC on our own after disembarking Harmony two weeks ago. It was hot and we were tired and crabby. After cooling off and getting a second wind, we were able to enjoy the Center. It is incredible and the Atlantis exhibit is a must-see! We stayed at KSC from 9:00-3:00 and didn’t see everything. If I would of done it over, I would have gone to KSC pre-cruise. 

Safe travels!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 12:02 AM, PCWalton1 said:

Umm, oops. That's how you get to VAB, launch pads, Saturn V display, etc...

FB_IMG_1562635369294.thumb.jpg.90c5af69efa2ad5db157696201f6f2ce.jpg

Good times

Edited by John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, oops. That's how you get to VAB, launch pads, Saturn V display, etc..

Good times

I haven't been to the KSC since I was a kid. I remember there was a lot of ground to cover and happy we did it in a bus.  I am excited to see all the new stuff especially the shuttle exhibit. I am going to allow 6 hours to see everything then hopefully go over to Grills at 4pm and watch some sail aways. Should be a great way to start off our cruise!

2 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

I haven't been to the KSC since I was a kid. I remember there was a lot of ground to cover and happy we did it in a bus.  I am excited to see all the new stuff especially the shuttle exhibit. I am going to allow 6 hours to see everything then hopefully go over to Grills at 4pm and watch some sail aways. Should be a great way to start off our cruise!

Shuttle is cool, but the best exhibit is Saturn V.

6 hours just scratches surface. Have fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, etoilefj said:

Would you say you got more for the $$ doing the excursion? Trying to figure out what the VIP part means and if we want to spend the money for 3 of us to do the excursion. The luggage holding alone is a big plus over trying to sort that out ourselves.

Thanks

It was for me and my sisters family, you moved round in a group and were given free time at all the major exhibits plus as I said when you needed a bus to see things they had one set aside for you so no queuing. 

atlantis.jpg

7 hours ago, UKWLDCruise said:

It was for me and my sisters family, you moved round in a group and were given free time at all the major exhibits plus as I said when you needed a bus to see things they had one set aside for you so no queuing. 

atlantis.jpg

Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the review. Sounds like a good way to spend our pre-flight time for something we can't do anywhere else.

17 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

just a suggestion. We watched sail aways from Jetty Park and the ships are so close as they passed through the channel out to the ocean that you can hear the music and wave to the people. It was super cool!

Edited by blueridgemama

7 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

just a suggestion. We watched sail aways from Jetty Park and the ships are so close as they passed through the channel out to the ocean that you can hear the music and wave to the people. It was super cool!

Good idea. We may look into that. The only reason for going to Grills after KSC was to eat and drink a few happy hour cocktails.

7 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

Good idea. We may look into that. The only reason for going to Grills after KSC was to eat and drink a few happy hour cocktails.

you could go to Grills after. The ships come through the channel between 4 and 5pm

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

you could go to Grills after. The ships come through the channel between 4 and 5pm

Is it walking distance between Jetty Park and Grills? Hard to tell from map.