Oceania Riviera Culinary Class Question

wren777

My husband and I just completed our 4th Oceania (Regatta) Alaska cruise and booked a March 2020 Caribbean cruise on the Riviera while onboard.  We're thinking of signing up for one of the culinary classes and wondered if anyone can comment on how they liked them.  We're specifically thinking of taking either the "Jacques' Family Kitchen" class or the "If It Swims" class (focusing on fish).  The brief description of the classes doesn't say what dishes are prepared.  Also, is a meal prepared during the class that the students then eat?  Any info would be appreciated; thanks!

The team gets to eat what they prepare at the end of the class.

I believe the menu can change based upon what ingredients are available. So if a pasta class is advertised, it may not be the same as prepared on a different cruise.

• Like 1

sometimes you do not know what you will be making until you arrive

The classes are fun & sometimes you may learn something new  9depends on your cooking skills)

Yes you get to eat what you prepare

go with the flow & have fun

• Like 1

I always take one of these classes on a sea day.  My last was “If It Swims”.  It was taught by Julia Child’s assistant Stephanie Hirsch.  She was delightful and made it a fun class.  We were paired up and assigned to a station complete with an induction cook top, sink and all necessary implements and supplies.  After watching her do a demo, we went to our station and prepared the same dish.  We made pan seared scallops and a mild white fish.  There were lots of helpers to do our prep and clean up. Wine was served while we ate our various dishes.

We’re sailing on Insignia later this year and I’m sorry there is no Culinary Center on board.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roccaforte said:

I always take one of these classes on a sea day.

Do you actually learn anything or is it 'just' fun?  (And there's not a darn thing wrong with 'fun.!)  We're doing Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina and some of the classes have those cuisines and the Jacques is about knife skills.  I'd say I'm a somewhat above average home cook so not sure I'd really learn much/anything.  Wow, I hope that doesn't sound arrogant.

I wouldn't call that an arrogant statement -- a realistic description of your skills is all.  I haven't taken any of the classes but from what I have read here by people who have, experienced cooks don't "learn" all that much ... but everyone seems to have fun.

I was tempted by the pasta class, but since I've made my own pasta for years with a hand-crank machine I didn't think I'd learn much ... I could well be wrong!

Despite the fact that I consider myself more than an average home cook but by no means a gourmet chef, I could use help with knife skills!!

Mura

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you actually learn anything or is it 'just' fun?  (And there's not a darn thing wrong with 'fun.!)  We're doing Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina and some of the classes have those cuisines and the Jacques is about knife skills.  I'd say I'm a somewhat above average home cook so not sure I'd really learn much/anything.  Wow, I hope that doesn't sound arrogant.

We've taken 8 or 10 Culinary classes and they are uniformly fun and informative .

The" "learning" aspects are usually along these lines:

• When measuring sticky ingredients such as molasses, line the measuring cup with cellophane treated with cooking spray.
  • Microwave Citrus for a few seconds before juicing 
  • To peel garlic quickly, smash the clove with the side of a knife.  

There will also be discussions about such things as flavor profiles and the tenderizing properties of acids, but they are purposely VERY basic, so that nobody will feel left out. 

• Like 3

A "Newbie question".  Is there an extra charge for these classes?  If so, what would it be?  Also, how/when would you sign up for these - before the cruise or once you're on board?  We've got a Transatlantic to look forward to on Riviera in Oct 2020.  They sound like fun and a good way to spend some free time at sea.  Tks.

Sign up before you board, the same way shore excursions and specialty dining reservations are done. Some of the classes on our cruise aboard Marina this December are already sold out. You may want to book classes on Riviera as soon as the system lets you.

All prices on our itinerary are listed at $69pp.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

We've taken 8 or 10 Culinary classes and they are uniformly fun and informative .

The" "learning" aspects are usually along these lines:

• When measuring sticky ingredients such as molasses, line the measuring cup with cellophane treated with cooking spray.
  • Microwave Citrus for a few seconds before juicing 
  • To peel garlic quickly, smash the clove with the side of a knife.  

There will also be discussions about such things as flavor profiles and the tenderizing properties of acids, but they are purposely VERY basic, so that nobody will feel left out. 

I appreciate your giving this kind of detail.  We only have one at sea day so I'll think about it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I just signed up with Eric Martelly, our Oceania travel agent, for the Jacques' Family Kitchen class (and yes, the classes are $69 per person).  I tried to sign up online myself, but the system was going to force us to pay now so Eric was able to register us for this class without pre-payment.  Unfortunately, the class is from 4 to 5:30 so it is shortly before dinner; not an ideal time but it sounds like fun.  I appreciate all the input!

One of the seasonal  meals we enjoy immensely comes from their cooking class. My lovely wife learned how to make the watermelon and duck confit salad from RG in one of her classes. Awesome!

My lovely bride is a great cook and She says the learning experiences are far greater than given in the above posts. Lots of different opportunities to learn new dishes.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

if you book an afternoon class  do not plan on a Specialty restaurant that night

a quick bite in The Terrace will probably do or if they have the wine bar open that night at La Reserve it is  a good time to try the wine & cheese offerings

Most classes have been $69

Book early if you really want to do the class

we have had openings on a couple of cruises  that we signed up  on embarkation day but we were not fussed if we got the class or not

it was for fun & use up some OBC

YMMV

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

the watermelon and duck confit salad

I'll have to look and see if they actually give the dish.  I pretty actively don't like any melons so that would be a deal breaker for me.

We live where there's good Asian food but no dim sum.  So a few years ago I went to San Francisco and took an Asian dumpling class from an acclaimed Asian cookbook author.  I learned a ton.  But, really, all of us there already had some decent skills.

The culinary classes are informative and provide lots of hands on fun.  It is more than a cooking demo that some cruise lines  and the Oceania  R ships provide.  The classes are in a fully equipped kitchen with two people sharing a cooking station.  We’ve learned something each time but it is not the Culinary school of the world.  

Wine is included as you eat the courses.  The classes we’ve attended have lasted about two hours.  We felt it was worth the $69.00 charge as opposed to the cost of an overpriced spa treatment or port excursions. 

The theme varies but you will know what it is when you sign up.  You won’t know the menu. 

The classes do sell out.  We’ve booked on board day 1 but many book pre cruise. 

• Like 1

+1 on booking early and not scheduling a special dinner after an afternoon class.  I did not learn that much but had a lot of fun with both pasta and RG class (they did give the duck and watermelon recipe).  Also as mentioned above, book as early as you can online to be sure of a place in a class that really interests you.  I think these could be purchased before your restaurant reservation date but do not remember for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

I appreciate your giving this kind of detail.  We only have one at sea day so I'll think about it.  Thanks.

One sea day? Don't think too long. The classes prebook quickly (particularly now that SBC can be spent before embarkation) and everyone has sea days as their first choice.

We often do the classes and, though basic in some ways, we have often walked away with info we didn't know, short cuts for larger dinner parties and "tricks-of-the-trade" (e.g., poaching eggs in plastic bags).

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One sea day? Don't think too long. The classes prebook quickly (particularly now that SBC can be spent before embarkation) and everyone has sea days as their first choice.

We often do the classes and, though basic in some ways, we have often walked away with info we didn't know, short cuts for larger dinner parties and "tricks-of-the-trade" (e.g., poaching eggs in plastic bags).

Thanks for the advice.  The more I think about it the less likely I'm inclined to do it.  I've been on food boards for quite a few years now and get insane amounts of info and advice.  One guy all but walked me through learning to make ravioli for the first time (from the pasta I had made).  Same with making bread, Asian dumplings, pizza, pretty much anything.  I'm guessing someone would get more from it than I would.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks for the advice.  The more I think about it the less likely I'm inclined to do it.  I've been on food boards for quite a few years now and get insane amounts of info and advice.  One guy all but walked me through learning to make ravioli for the first time (from the pasta I had made).  Same with making bread, Asian dumplings, pizza, pretty much anything.  I'm guessing someone would get more from it than I would.

In  truth  you take these classes for fun and to socialize. What  you learn and is taught  is minimal so that everyone has a good time.    I would call it a foodie-social   more than a class.  You get some recipes at the end to take home..   A pasta class for example... provided pre made pasta dough and everything preped   You learned how much salt to put in the water,   how to feed dough into a pasta roller.   How to put sauce on it      Make a tomato/ shallot/ garlic  sauce...  and cook the pasta.....  and do so all while drinking wine.   

Fun.... yes    enriching.....not so much   You may make 2 or 3 bites to eat with your partner/ class mate (  everyone is in a 2 person team)

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In  truth  you take these classes for fun and to socialize. What  you learn and is taught  is minimal so that everyone has a good time.    I would call it a foodie-social   more than a class.  You get some recipes at the end to take home..   A pasta class for example... provided pre made pasta dough and everything preped   You learned how much salt to put in the water,   how to feed dough into a pasta roller.   How to put sauce on it      Make a tomato/ shallot/ garlic  sauce...  and cook the pasta.....  and do so all while drinking wine.   

Fun.... yes    enriching.....not so much   You may make 2 or 3 bites to eat with your partner/ class mate (  everyone is in a 2 person team)

We indeed made the pasta dough during our Riviera pasta class a few years ago.  I am surprised that they vary.

10 hours ago, CintiPam said:

We indeed made the pasta dough during our Riviera pasta class a few years ago.  I am surprised that they vary.

when we did the class  the Chef gave us  a demo on how to  make the dough

The the balls of dough were waiting for us to put through the machine & then cook

• Like 1