Tipping in euros on Getaway Baltic cruise?

Albinroo

As the title suggests, we'll be on the Getaway Baltic cruise next week and I'm wondering if I can tip staff on cruise in euros? I have already prepaid service charges, but from reading CC I understand it's good to give something extra to those who go above and beyond. And another question, how much should you tip in that case? We're not American, so not used to tipping except in restaurants really. 

1 minute ago, Albinroo said:

As the title suggests, we'll be on the Getaway Baltic cruise next week and I'm wondering if I can tip staff on cruise in euros? I have already prepaid service charges, but from reading CC I understand it's good to give something extra to those who go above and beyond. And another question, how much should you tip in that case? We're not American, so not used to tipping except in restaurants really. 

In my experience staff are appreciative of tips in any currency as long as it is from one of the ship ports or their home country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the staff are quite happy to receive their tips in Euros.

I once asked if they had any preference, as I had plenty of both on me, and the person I asked said he was quite happy with either, but euros had the advantage of being worth more than dollars.

The practical problem with using Euros is that they are coins rather than notes.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Euros are not ‘worth more’ than dollars.... they’re simply a different currency.  Maybe you mean a tip of 10 euros is worth more than a tip of 10 dollars.

That's precisely it. If you normally tip say $10USD  the equivalent in Euro is more or less 9Euro depending upon the day, but definitely rarely a nice round number. Unless they happen to have change on them, most are likely to just give 10Euro.l 

Edited by smplybcause

40 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Euros are not ‘worth more’ than dollars.... they’re simply a different currency.  Maybe you mean a tip of 10 euros is worth more than a tip of 10 dollars.

Of course that's what I mean. A Euro is worth more than a dollar. Simple.

I was kind of assuming that people knew what a currency was.

Edited by KeithJenner

16 hours ago, casofilia said:

I agree tip in any currency that the crew can use but remember that you will have paid a Daily Service Charge either directly or as part of your actual fare.

What does that have to do with tipping. The service charge goes 100% to NCL. Any gratuity you give the crew is theirs to  keep. Completely different things.

18 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Tip with whatever currency you have, just be aware that if you tip in Euros the crew will not be able to use them on  the ship.

On our last transatlantic cruise at the last port as we were getting ready to board somewhat early and talking about what to do with our remaining euros we saw our room steward getting off to head into town.  We called him over and gave him all the euros we had, it was not much.  He was very appreciative.  Two birds, one stone.

• Like 1