Eurodam accused of overrunning pod of whales

jakkojakko

Only the Captain knows if he did the right thing, and I hope he did. In any case it's more bad news for HAL & the cruise industry. Knowing nothing else the video does seem like the ship is close & travelling relatively fast.

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

Only the Captain knows if he did the right thing, and I hope he did. In any case it's more bad news for HAL & the cruise industry. Knowing nothing else the video does seem like the ship is close & travelling relatively fast.

And she would be in compliance with all regulations if she were a mere 100 yards away, and doing less than 14 knots.

• Like 1

Perspective REALLY matters, it's really hard to judge on a video. The folks vilifying HAL aren't Navigators on the Bridge team or they don't have a clue or an understanding what happens on a Bridge on a daily basis.  The Eurodam in the video had less of a wake than the Zaandam during the cruise in at Glacier Bay when we picked up the Pilot, the rangers, and someone else (the name of the tribe is escaping me)

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, jakkojakko said:

Actually that lawyer is just reporting it. Someone else made the complaint. 

And then he helps to propagate the comment/complaint without checking such things in the photo such as; no wake or bow splitting (for lack of correct maritime wording) of the water it is pointed into. The whales are moving  (swimming) down the side of the ship, their movement not showing sign(s) of distress, such as diving for safety in lower depths. Add to that the fact that their expulsion of air are straight up and again not showing signs that they are trying to get away from the ship. He propagates the misinformation/complaint that whomever started.

For what it is worth....Optical Illusions

Joanie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IRL_Joanie said:

And then he helps to propagate the comment/complaint without checking such things in the photo such as; no wake or bow splitting (for lack of correct maritime wording) of the water it is pointed into. The whales are moving  (swimming) down the side of the ship, their movement not showing sign(s) of distress, such as diving for safety in lower depths. Add to that the fact that their expulsion of air are straight up and again not showing signs that they are trying to get away from the ship. He propagates the misinformation/complaint that whomever started.

For what it is worth....Optical Illusions

Joanie

Hey, he's a lawyer, he only checks things that are advantageous to his side of the argument.

• Like 4

Joanie,    Wind will shift a blow, but if the ship hits a whale there is no guarantee you will see any exhalation as it can happen under water.   I'm amazed that after HAL has been found guilty of polluting the waters they extol to patrons, that you and others, are so quick to come up with excuses.   Anyone who has spent time on the water  in their own vessel, is much more adept at seeing distances over cruise guests on vacation.   And don't forget the radar and equipment that is onboard their vessels......   Don't be so quick to dismiss a local's version of these events...............

• Like 1

Considering that cruising only represents around 5% of the total marine traffic in the world, you would expect that there are hundreds more incidents like this that go unreported by freighters, bulk carriers, and oil and gas tankers.  No passengers onboard with cameras, so no news.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Considering that cruising only represents around 5% of the total marine traffic in the world, you would expect that there are hundreds more incidents like this that go unreported by freighters, bulk carriers, and oil and gas tankers.  No passengers onboard with cameras, so no news.   

Probably less than you think.  I've seen whales in the open ocean maybe 3 times in 45 years.  In coastal waters, mostly in the US, there are whale speed restriction zones where the whales will be feeding at certain times of the year, and ships must keep to a maximum of 10 knots, and I've seen whales in those areas maybe half a dozen times.  Also, cargo ships tend to move slower than cruise ships.  I don't believe I've ever heard of a proven whale strike on a whale that was not dead or dying beforehand.

• Like 2