Tips for Cruising Diabetic on NCL

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic in April of this year. I am on medication and also managing my diabetes with a low-carb diet. I refuse to throw all my hard work to the wind for a vacation, but I also refuse to throw my vacation to the wind for a disease. (Girl has already found some drinks that would be tasty and sugar-free! 🍹🍺🍷)

What tips have my fellow cruisers found for cruising with diabetes? In regards to food, how careful do you have to be about hidden sugars in foods?

29 minutes ago, Because_I_Said said:

I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic in April of this year. I am on medication and also managing my diabetes with a low-carb diet. I refuse to throw all my hard work to the wind for a vacation, but I also refuse to throw my vacation to the wind for a disease. (Girl has already found some drinks that would be tasty and sugar-free! 🍹🍺🍷)

What tips have my fellow cruisers found for cruising with diabetes? In regards to food, how careful do you have to be about hidden sugars in foods?

I'm providing an NCL link that may be helpful to you (my apologies if you have already found it)!

But it is a very good idea to let NCL know your medical condition and dietary needs in advance of your cruise.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

• Thanks 1

A few weeks before your cruise notify the Access Office ( information on the website), giving the your reservation number, dates and cabin number.  They will tag your reservation.  When you go to use your room key for meals it will show that you are diabetic.  You can also ask to meet with the Restaurant Manager and he can direct you as to which foods to avoid.  I do it all the time (37 cruises and counting).

• Thanks 1

however you're eating now, you'll be able to do the same.  In the buffet, you can pick out low/no card options.  And in the main dining rooms  you can order multiple entrees to create your own low card meal(vegetable from one, protein from another, or two proteins).  If you're on insulin, they now have sharps containers in the bathrooms by default (at least on the breakaway).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Because_I_Said said:

You manage your foods at home. Manage it on the ship. It is really not any different. And you don’t need the access desk or the chef to manage food for you. 

Order a regular meal. Eat the protein and veg. Don’t eat the carbs on your plate. Don’t pick the chocolate fudge cake. Pick the NSA desserts or ice cream and eat just a little. Stick to sugar free drinks (with a little alcohol). Stay away from the pizza on the buffet. 

Keep up up the hard work on the ship. Monitor your tickseeds levels so you know when you have cheated too much. 

• Like 3

And get a nice walk on the jogging track every evening.  Does wonders for the blood sugar.  I've now done two cruises since being diagnosed.  Never even thought about it on my second cruise.  Just did all the same things I do at home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO, the best tip is to follow your home regiment. Eat to survive instead of surviving to eat. Stick to your diet, low carb, lot's of veggies, very few empty carbs (sure you know that fruits have vitamins and can benefit your healthy life style). The one thing I would avoid, is the sauces they offer with some of the meals.  My DH was a Type 2 D. and the most important thing for him was to avoid any extras, including desserts. The only other thing I'd recommend is that instead of using the drinks offered by the ship is to bring the little packs of 0 calary packs you add to regular water.   You can ask for a pitcher of water and just add the "Crystal Lite" package to it with ice to provide your low/no calary drinks. 

Have a wonderful cruise. 

• Thanks 1

I was diagnosed Type 2 on 31st December last year. My cruise in November will be my first since that time.

My medical team advised that I should lose weight and I am on medication for the diabetes as well as High Blood Pressure and raised cholesterol. I asked about reducing sugar and was advised that it's still OK to eat sweet things but in moderation e.g. two squares of chocolate rather than a whole bar. I changed my diet (less carbs and fat) I watch calories in and out rather than trying to reduce one type of macro, I started walking (and now cycling) every day and have lost 28lb since mid January.

I will try and eat more sensibly than I usually do on a cruise but it's a holiday and only for 7 days so I may slip up but I'll probably have a walk every morning and do a lot of walking on port days. Otherwise I'll control it much like I do at home just with a bit more leeway.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Because_I_Said said:

Can you let me know some of the drinks you have found?  My Mom will be cruising with us and she is diabetic, Type 2.  She loves her wine, but I’m sure she would also like some other alcoholic drinks...  

TIA

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You manage your foods at home. Manage it on the ship. It is really not any different. And you don’t need the access desk or the chef to manage food for you. 

Order a regular meal. Eat the protein and veg. Don’t eat the carbs on your plate. Don’t pick the chocolate fudge cake. Pick the NSA desserts or ice cream and eat just a little. Stick to sugar free drinks (with a little alcohol). Stay away from the pizza on the buffet. 

Keep up up the hard work on the ship. Monitor your tickseeds levels so you know when you have cheated too much. 

LOL! Thank you!

I can tell that you're not diabetic. Is the meat marinated? What seasonings are added to the vegetables? It has been a real eye opener to me to find out how many things have sugar hidden in them. Did you know that lemon-pepper seasoning has sugar in it? Plus there is the fact that sugar hides itself under a lot of different names - maltodextrin and dextrose are probably the 2 most common. It's even in supposedly "sugar-free" foods. A lot of which spike my blood sugar levels. This is one of the reasons I find it difficult to eat at a restaurant. At home, I have control over what goes in and on my food. At a restaurant - or on a cruise - I don't. 

I hope you now understand the challenge that faces a diabetic. It really is more than just "manage it like you do at home". 

56 Names of Sugar.jpeg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Putter23 said:

Can you let me know some of the drinks you have found?  My Mom will be cruising with us and she is diabetic, Type 2.  She loves her wine, but I’m sure she would also like some other alcoholic drinks...  

TIA

Oh girl! Almost all liquors are sugar/carb free.  So it's just a matter of drinking it straight or mixing it with a sugar-free or acceptable sugar-substitute drink. Here are a few I wrote down that interested me. 

Michelob Ultra - 2.5g carb

Long island iced tea - sub diet or zero cola

2 shots vodka, sprite zero, lime

Faux-hito: mint, lime, rum, sprite zero

Spiced rum, zero or diet cola, lime

Any liquor with seltzer water

Pinot noir - 3.8g carbs

I have no idea if the ship has a "zero" cola, but I'm crossing my fingers. 

42 minutes ago, BaWBarmy said:

I was diagnosed Type 2 on 31st December last year. My cruise in November will be my first since that time.

I changed my diet (less carbs and fat) I watch calories in and out rather than trying to reduce one type of macro, I started walking (and now cycling) every day and have lost 28lb since mid January.

That is fantastic! Congratulations!

I try to stay away from real sweets but sometimes you just gotta have something. I've actually found a lot of recipes for desserts that satisfy that sweet tooth while staying diabetic/low carb compliant. Here's one of my favorites (hwc=heavy whipping cream, I use monkfruit as the sweetener):

IceCream.jpg

• Like 1

Monk fruit looks awesome, thanks for posting: 

monk fruit sweetener, also called monk fruit extract. Monk fruit sweetener has been around for decades but has recently grown in popularity since it’s become more readily available.

It’s natural, contains zero calories and is 100–250 times sweeter than sugar. It is also thought to have antioxidant properties.

Something to keep in mind...just because it is sugar free does not mean it is low on carbs.  I have been type 1 diabetic for 47 years and have found that most "sugar-free" items have more carbs than their "sugar" items.  Sometimes it is better to eat the things with sugar in them to avoid higher carbs.  I have also done 8 cruises so far and never had an issue with finding no carb meals as that is how I prefer to eat.  You just need to check your sugars more often while cruising to make corrections when necessary.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Because_I_Said said:

LOL! Thank you!

I can tell that you're not diabetic. Is the meat marinated? What seasonings are added to the vegetables? It has been a real eye opener to me to find out how many things have sugar hidden in them. Did you know that lemon-pepper seasoning has sugar in it? Plus there is the fact that sugar hides itself under a lot of different names - maltodextrin and dextrose are probably the 2 most common. It's even in supposedly "sugar-free" foods. A lot of which spike my blood sugar levels. This is one of the reasons I find it difficult to eat at a restaurant. At home, I have control over what goes in and on my food. At a restaurant - or on a cruise - I don't. 

I hope you now understand the challenge that faces a diabetic. It really is more than just "manage it like you do at home". 

Lol, i can tell you're newly diagnosed.  I am a diabetic and I 100% agree with BirdTravels. When I first was diagnosed, I went over the deep end by completely eliminating sugar (hint: it is not possible while still trying to enjoy food), and you are right that sweeteners can affect the glucose levels.  

However, the real key is simply to manage it the best you can and not to overindulge in the worst things (full carb, non-fiber veggies and full sugar desserts).  Use the stairs instead of elevators, use the walking track or treadmill on board.  

There are plenty of options on the ship that are simply "plain" food.  If you really feel that you can't manage it on your own, then contact the Access Desk.  However, in my experience, if you are an educated "foodie", then you can manage the options successfully.  (The snag here is that this assumes you aren't a picky eater on top of being diabetic).

I eat like I do at home, just at a higher volume.  Brown rice is usually not available and I eat whole wheat bread when possible.  Besides the sweet desserts I am most tempted with the fruit juices, try to eat a piece of fruit instead.  I found it is important to take a 30 minute walk every morning, get to know the ship and keep the weight down.

We just got off a cruise a week ago. I am treating my type 2 diabetes with a low carb diet. I am off almost all my meds. 

Stay away from bread. 

Eat a good low carb breakfast. Eggs and bacon or omelet. 

There were great salads on the menu. Burger without the bun. Steak was available almost everywhere. Some of the sauces were sketchy I was sure there was added sugar but I was willing to be a little lax because of vacation. I have found that they will bring you a cheese plate for dessert instead of a sugary dessert.  

You say you figured out all those drinks, but a long island ice tea is made with 5 shots of different liquors.  Triple sec is pure sugar.   So is the sour mix.  It's not the soda that will hurt you , it's the alcohol.