Luggage Point Brisbane

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have lost all hope on any cruises going in or out of Australia until November 2021, or a Vaccine is widely available, which ever comes first.

After all the cancellations the only booking we have left is November 2021 ...thinking it will be a goer Mic 🍾🥂😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have lost all hope on any cruises going in or out of Australia until November 2021, or a Vaccine is widely available, which ever comes first.

I am coming around to thinking you may be right .🛳😢😢

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have a booking for mid October 21. I hope your guesstimate is slightly out.😉

10 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We have a booking for mid October 21. I hope your guesstimate is slightly out.😉

I have numerous cruises before then as well. I wish I was totally wrong and cruising stars by Jan 2021, just cannot see it happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Brisbane Ports are still optimistic - see the 3rd article with a short video showing the building of the wharf - hope lives 🥂🤩

https://www.vision6.com.au/em/message/email/view.php?id=1493856&a=33260&k=prLQMEWGvQFeKRhadcdVIlCoUqJ_Mh5oUFI_YcP8qeg&fbclid=IwAR1rXAAbKZqTnELElFmBmvR2lH66IiCCvGFxLBm9v43FSfBmeGBRHdNF3yA

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

Looks like we'll have a great cruise terminal, but no cruise ships. ☹️

Only a month and a bit until it's ready. I wonder if they could do an open day so we could see it?

Surely they could come up with something - River Ferries perhaps, markets, music  🤔

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news on the evolving white elephant in Brisbane.

"A multi-million dollar cruise terminal that was the jewel in the Palaszczuk Government’s tourism crown and timed to open ahead of the state election may not be operational until possibly the middle of next year.

The Luggage Point facility was due to start hosting ships on October 3, four weeks before the state election, but now it might not be operational until at least March or April, possibly later, if the federal government extends its ban on foreign cruise ships beyond December 17.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) says the logistics of preparing a passenger ship, from collecting provisions, food and beverages through to recruiting and rostering a crew, can take several months.

“There are long lead times and even if we were signing-off on a re-start today, it wouldn't be until the end of the year, November or December, that those ships would be able to get back to Australia,” said Managing Director of Australasia CLIA Joel Katz."

Source

Latest news on the evolving white elephant in Brisbane.

"A multi-million dollar cruise terminal that was the jewel in the Palaszczuk Government’s tourism crown and timed to open ahead of the state election may not be operational until possibly the middle of next year.

The Luggage Point facility was due to start hosting ships on October 3, four weeks before the state election, but now it might not be operational until at least March or April, possibly later, if the federal government extends its ban on foreign cruise ships beyond December 17.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) says the logistics of preparing a passenger ship, from collecting provisions, food and beverages through to recruiting and rostering a crew, can take several months.

“There are long lead times and even if we were signing-off on a re-start today, it wouldn't be until the end of the year, November or December, that those ships would be able to get back to Australia,” said Managing Director of Australasia CLIA Joel Katz."

Source

But that doesn’t mean the Cruise Terminal won’t be finished in October - just that cruising won’t be happening until the middle of next year, which we all knew.

I think The Australian were just having a slow News day - needed to fill a space [emoji848]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Latest project update for the BICT.

The good news is that the Brisbane Sewage Works has been renamed the Luggage Point Resource Recovery Centre and now includes the Looseum. 😜

Thanks for the link. Interesting that, unlike most cruise ports in Australia, the BICT appears to be offering parking whilst on a cruise.

"The solar structures will offer a shaded parking option for 230 vehicles while passengers are enjoying their cruise."

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting that, unlike most cruise ports in Australia, the BICT appears to be offering parking whilst on a cruise.

"The solar structures will offer a shaded parking option for 230 vehicles while passengers are enjoying their cruise."

It will be interesting to see what the price is compared with the commercial parking garages that have operated for a while (Portside Parking or Gateway Parking).

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I forgot to mention that the captain in his tour spiel told us that Carnival was bringing in a ship to the new cruise terminal to test out the facilities.

I don't see how that's possible, but he did say it.

No date mentioned for this test? One day it could happen.🤔🤞