Carnival Excursion Recommendations in Cozumel and Progresso

agp_mzk

On 7/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, lab_love123 said:

I had thought about going to Paradise Beach in Cozumel on my own because it only costs $3 to get in, plus they ask you to spend about $10 on food and drink, so $13 isn't a bad price. HOWEVER, it's a ~$15 taxi ride each way. I could probably find other people to share a taxi with, but I did not want to depend on that. So for budgeting purposes, I assume that I have to pay all costs by myself. So after $25-30 for transportation, plus the $13 minimum I would spend there, it really just became cheaper to do Carnival's excursion. And less stress for me not dealing with all the what-ifs.  

I usually travel solo myself, so I get the $30 taxi ride if I can't find someone to share a taxi with (which is usually the case going back to port).  I stopped going to Paradise Beach as they started raising their prices (in USD) to tourist-trap levels, even as the peso was weakening against the USD.

For my next cruise I found a newish (I think) adults-only AI day resort called "Del Mar Latino" within walking distance of Puerta Maya, through the link to Viator currently at the top of the Cruise Critic boards.  I think they may be starting with low prices to break into the AI market and get their name established, especially among cruisers, but at $29 less the current 10% discount offer, it was a no brainer, even if it doesn't turn out to be a five-star experience.

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

The last 3 times I went to Passion Isle the sargasso seaweed was piled high along the shore and blanketted the water as well.  Is this still the case?  I know that the seaweed comes and goes, depending on tides, winds and currents, but 3 times over 2 years is too much.  I've gone to Passion 10 even 5 years ago and it was free of seaweed, but the last 2 yrs were horrible when I went.

I've gone to Nachi a few times as well recently and they don't seem to have this problem, just some stray seaweed, not mountains of it.

I went to Passion Island on 2/11/17. I don't remember there being a crap ton of seaweed.  I actually don't remember any seaweed.  What time of year were your trips?

Edited by Tiger0613

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

For my next cruise I found a newish (I think) adults-only AI day resort called "Del Mar Latino" within walking distance of Puerta Maya, through the link to Viator currently at the top of the Cruise Critic boards.  I think they may be starting with low prices to break into the AI market and get their name established, especially among cruisers, but at $29 less the current 10% discount offer, it was a no brainer, even if it doesn't turn out to be a five-star experience.

I just saw this the other day! I was considering giving it a try. According to ShoreExcursioneer, it’s like $28 through 12/31. Then on Jan 1, it goes up to $38 (still a decent price). When do you cruise? I’d like to hear what you thought of it!

1 minute ago, lab_love123 said:

I just saw this the other day! I was considering giving it a try. According to ShoreExcursioneer, it’s like $28 through 12/31. Then on Jan 1, it goes up to $38 (still a decent price). When do you cruise? I’d like to hear what you thought of it!

Mid-August.  

Booking directly on their website, their current offer is $39 with $10 cash back upon arrival, through 12/31/19.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, lab_love123 said:

Did you go to Del Mar Latino? I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

I thought it was a great value for what you pay.  It wasn't Paradise Beach (with water toys and watersports activities) or Club Med, but I didn't need that.  We were the only ship in port that day so only a handful of customers.

There's sand around the lounge chairs and next to the pool but the "beach" is a set of stone steps down into water with a fair amount of rocks on the bottom.  

They were great about coming around frequently to see if you wanted food or drinks.

All in all, I thought it was a great deal for a relaxing beach(ish) day with AI food and drinks.  At 1/3 of the cost of a taxi to and day pass to another AI, I would definitely go back.

• Like 1

If you are a history buff I highly recommend a visit to uxmal Myan ruins it is a long day but worth it. We also have done the chichen itza and cenote swim. As for cozumel we prefer paradise beach but you can't go wrong with passion island or chakanaab. Both are beach days. Passion island requires a boat ride. Chank  a short taxi ride.

Just back from the Valor on 8/31.  We took an all-inclusive beach day from Carnival.  About 30 minute drive on a large well air-conditioned comfortable bus.  Facility had 2 pools, beach, lots of sun and shade, unlimited food buffet and drinks.  Pool games.  Massages were available $30. for 30 minutes. NO VENDORS.

Best thing about this venue was their people.  Helpful to the max.  Friendly.  Would go back in a hot second!!!!

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/yucatan-progreso/all-inclusive-private-beach-experience-320070

In Progresso, the best excursion we have taken was the "Mexican Beer Tasting & Pub Crawl & Beach."  It took us to a couple authentic cantina's, we tried all kinds of Mexican Craft Beer, that were delicious!  We also tried authentic food (even tried fried grassshoppers!)  They also took us to a Speakeasy that was lit by just candle light--here we were taught the correct way to drink Mezcal.

If we ever go back to Progresso, we will do this excursion again.

1 hour ago, cruisecrazypat said:

Just back from the Valor on 8/31.  We took an all-inclusive beach day from Carnival.  About 30 minute drive on a large well air-conditioned comfortable bus.  Facility had 2 pools, beach, lots of sun and shade, unlimited food buffet and drinks.  Pool games.  Massages were available $30. for 30 minutes. NO VENDORS.

Best thing about this venue was their people.  Helpful to the max.  Friendly.  Would go back in a hot second!!!!

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/yucatan-progreso/all-inclusive-private-beach-experience-320070

Beautiful. We did the other all-inclusive while in Progreso. The only excursion we did on our 5 day on the Dream back in July 27-Aug.1. All you can eat/drink. Food was great. Drinks were even better. Beautiful beach, no vendors:

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/yucatan-progreso/all-inclusive-beach-resort-getaway-320044

We would do this one again in a heartbeat. It's an all inclusive beach hotel with condos. Wife & I considered doing this as a land vacay. Prices aren't to bad. The Hotel Reef Yucatan. I have the website if anyone is interested. PM me. 

20190730_103425.jpg

20190730_124245.jpg

20190730_123447.jpg

20190730_123431.jpg

20190730_141410.jpg

I have been to Cozumel many time on cruises and by air.  My last cruise I did the Passion Island on the Catamaran and it was a great excursion.  That place is one the most beautiful beaches I have been too.  There was some seaweed when I was there and they told you about it before you departed on the excursion.  It wasn't that bad the first 4 or 5 feet going into the water you encountered some seaweed but after that it was clear.  I would highly recommend this excursion and will return the next time I am in Cozumel.

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I am going to try it again for my next cruise. 

I simmitted mine on the ship.  I put that the only difference in the one I was looking at and carnivals was carnival gave you a sandwich.. Price difference was $30, same company. a sandwich not worth $30.

We have done the Passion Island excursion with Carnival 2x - once by twister boat, once by catamaran.  Love this beach.  They limit the amount of people on the island so it never felt crowded.  Buffet was okay, drinks were okay, beach was great. Had segways you could rent, a couple of small inflatables for kids (or kids at heart) hammocks, etc.