Packing list:

Ombud

3 upcoming cruises and trying to downsize (broke my suitcase on Santiago to LA cruise as I overstuffed)

Here's what I always wear on plane: dressier jeans, top, sweater, blue skecher flats 

Packing in backpack for 5 night Cabo Getaway in October:

5 changes underwear but only 2 or socks

Swimsuit

Capris, top, sandals

Navy dress with capelet shawl modified to wear 2 ways, dress sandals. Dress can be worn separately with clunky jewelry 

Gives me 6 mix & match outfits

Additional for 13 night FLL to Quebec: (it's first in July so HOT)

2 dresses

Capris

Jean skirt

2-3 tops

Should add 8 switches if I didn't miss count

HELP! What am I missing?

I don't swim or sunbathe, but I have read on CC and other places -- if you do, you might want to pack a second suit, so you have one to put on while the other is drying. Wet or damp lycra is yucky to pull over your skin!

Are the Skechers supportive enough for cobblestone streets in Quebec and other sites on that cruise? Having had multiple shoe blow-outs on vacations (what's with that, anyway???), I always pack a second pair of shoes that may be less supportive, but that *could* fill in on sightseeing days. 

Assuming the "sweater" you wear on the plane is a cardigan. This can be light-to-medium weight on these warm weather voyages. You might want a rain-resistant wind breaker as well? One that stuffs into its own pocket or the like.

Where and when is your third cruise?

• Thanks 1

I will only swim onboard (if at all) so taking robe from room ..... yeah, forgot nightgown 

I pack those blue skechers bc I know they'll last BUT Quebec has cobblestone streets? I thought that was just a Europe thing

The 3rd one might be more than the 21" roller. I start in Melbourne for 3 days, then onto Aukland (9 night cruise). In my go-go years 😁

Edited by Ombud

I just got out of the boot Friday and just cannot fit into my dressy heels now (and probably not by the time I cruise). I'm thinking of buying these for formal night. At least its gold with rhinestones. Not anything like what I'd normally wear but I can fit my foot (in an ankle support sleeve) in it. 

Can anyone confirm if Quebec has cobblestone streets? If so, I need to rethink that .... getting concerned 

Screenshot_20190701-173502_Chrome.jpg

I like your sandals! What color is your capelet shawl? And how many formal/gala nights? I'd maybe throw in another shawl, in a totally different color., to help vary your outfit. I found two on Amazon for very cheap ($10-$14 each) that I think will work well for me. Just a thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I pack those blue skechers bc I know they'll last BUT Quebec has cobblestone streets? I thought that was just a Europe thing

The 3rd one might be more than the 21" roller. I start in Melbourne for 3 days, then onto Aukland (9 night cruise). In my go-go years

Old City Quebec does have cobblestone streets (I googled to confirm my memory!). Whether you will be jaunting on them depends on your excursion(s). 

You can do Down Under in a 21" roll-aboard and a tote or daypack that fits under the seat. My system is four bottoms, eight tops, a "topper" -- usually a cardigan that goes with everything. Eight socks and undies; two bras plus the one I'm wearing and two nighties. All of that is for a trip that is over a week. If any of the bottoms is a skirt, then a petti-pant. I help my DH to select a similar wardrobe and then I cross-pack even though the bags are carry-on size and weight, just in case we are somehow separated from them.

A sunhat. Raingear or warmer jacket/accessories according to the forecast. I take a few EZ-Wash sheets cut in quarters, and a elastic 'bungee' clothesline in a sandwich bag, only for smalls. I select bottoms, mostly leggings, that can be worn up to 4 days without looking dreadful! And shirts I can wear a second time if I don't spill on them.

It sounds like you are a dress person -- go for it! My 37yo "little sister" is also. And she really is LITTLE; my other (tall) sister quipped that the little one brought 14 dresses for a two-week cruise, and she packed them in a band-aid box!

Oh, and I love the gold sandals! They're made by Skecher??? Coolio.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Your right on a 2nd shawl (plus they don't take up much room) in a different color or maybe a pattern. Will check out Amazon! I've got 3 weeks 

I can vouch that both of these are nice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FY9WK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKGP2P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

You can do Down Under in a 21" roll-aboard and a tote or daypack that fits under the seat. My system

P.S. This was meant to be encouraging and not bragging! I was not born with this system (!) but developed it over years and many many trips testing and changing our limits. Including one where we went TOO light and small! 

• Haha 1

I'm impressed, crystalspin! Had to look up 'petti-pant' as I'm not familiar with that term. I can pack light as I get free laundry but I need to pack lighter as I broke my last suitcase by over packing. Bought the same size replacement..... wanted a carryon for domestic flights. 

51 minutes ago, Ombud said:

... Had to look up 'petti-pant' as I'm not familiar with that term. 

A half-slip does not keep my thighs from chafing!!! (TMI probably.)

I have both thin nylon ones and cotton-y ones for cooler weather. My source has disappeared from eBay and I wish I'd bought a stockpile!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:29 PM, crystalspin said:

You might want a rain-resistant wind breaker as well?

I bought a version of this.  And it comes with a little drawstring bag that I wound up carrying to the dining room. (Lip balm, tissue, camera - I'm one of those who takes pix of her food!)

https://www.joulesusa.com/Women/Accessories/French-Navy-Dog/Poncho/Showerproof-Packaway?id=Y_PONCHO|FNVPDOG

I like it A LOT.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 2:15 AM, crystalspin said:

A half-slip does not keep my thighs from chafing!!! (TMI probably.)

I have both thin nylon ones and cotton-y ones for cooler weather. My source has disappeared from eBay and I wish I'd bought a stockpile!

I use a "shaper" that works great as both a slip and to prevent thigh chafing. It's basically high waisted nude bike shorts. I wear them any time I'm in a dress.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I use a "shaper" that works great as both a slip and to prevent thigh chafing. It's basically high waisted nude bike shorts. I wear them any time I'm in a dress.

Why would one wear a slip?  I haven't seen or worn one in maybe 50 years!

Just now, clo said:

No, I'm asking why anyone would wear a slip?

Well, a "petti-pant" is basically the same thing. I was just noting that instead of a "slip" or "petti-pant" I wear a shaper. Just random conversation from the thread. Sorry, don't mean to cause a problem.

4 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

Sorry, don't mean to cause a problem.

No, no, not at all. (I had to look up petti-pant.) But what's the point of either.  A shaper I guess holds in the less-than-perfect parts of bodies but I'm clueless about the others.  Please educate me.

2 minutes ago, clo said:

No, no, not at all. (I had to look up petti-pant.) But what's the point of either.  A shaper I guess holds in the less-than-perfect parts of bodies but I'm clueless about the others.  Please educate me.

I'm old fashioned and I don't like to wear lightweight dresses without something under it. A shaper gives me a smoother line, which is nice, but it also works like a slip, which is to give a nicer line, or to put a layer between your legs and a more sheer or clingy dress.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

I'm old fashioned and I don't like to wear lightweight dresses without something under it. A shaper gives me a smoother line, which is nice, but it also works like a slip, which is to give a nicer line, or to put a layer between your legs and a more sheer or clingy dress.

Guess what?  Almost everyone knows that your legs go all the way up!!!!!    Take care.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, PandaBear62 said:

I wear these as well.....I just bought another pair as the one I have is developing a hole in the side.  I do actually still have some slips that I probably need to move on.  I'm a fluffy chick so I appreciate these shapers! 🙂

• Like 1

Crystalspin, I've turned into a dress person. I used to think I hated skirts and dresses. But that's not exactly what it was. I hate slips and nylons. Actually I hate anything but cotton. So now that I've found all these cotton dresses at Talbot's I'm going crazy redoing my wardrobe

Shoes just arrived! (Hence the edit).  They will look weird with my formal dress but it's better than wearing my sketcher ballet shoes

Edited by Ombud

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

Crystalspin, I've turned into a dress person. I used to think I hated skirts and dresses. But that's not exactly what it was. I hate slips and nylons. Actually I hate anything but cotton. So now that I've found all these cotton dresses at Talbot's I'm going crazy redoing my wardrobe

Shoes just arrived! (Hence the edit).  They will look weird with my formal dress but it's better than wearing my sketcher ballet shoes

Isn't funny how we are all grown up and think we have our style figured out, but then out of the blue something happens and wham it changes? Ten years ago I didn't own any leggings (I had one pair of "Tight-pant" polartech pants), now they are what I wear 80% of the time including shiny ones for black-tie.

I wore a hat or headwrap whenever I left the house for 17 years... I turned 60, got a Jamie Lee Curtis haircut and a pint of gel, and now only wear a hat for warmth or protection from the sun. I dressed in "camo colors" for literally decades, but fell in love with a little red purse, and some five years later neutrals are the smaller much smaller part of my wardrobe.

Isn't Life grand?

• Like 1