Pacific Princess coming.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

I showed the PNG itinerary to Pete and he likes that one the best.  Cause of all the war spots.

Sarah we did a 15 night itinerary like that on the Dawn Princess, minus Luganville, one of our best cruises as it included ANZAC day.. That one just misses out being there for ANZAC day, gets back to Sydney on the 24th, something to factor in re travel, you might get an extra few days with the holiday!

13 hours ago, icat2000 said:

How cute is that. A monster ship. It looks huge. 

She is quite big indeed ...

As for the Loveboat horn - last October Captain Sagani would play it at any opportunity (i.e. when leaving port and for instance again in Port Chalmers as we cleared Taiaroa Heads)

The standard ship's whistle /horn got quite upset at being neglected, so decided to get stuck when we departed Hobart ...

4 hours ago, boeckli said:

She is quite big indeed ...

As for the Loveboat horn - last October Captain Sagani would play it at any opportunity (i.e. when leaving port and for instance again in Port Chalmers as we cleared Taiaroa Heads)

The standard ship's whistle /horn got quite upset at being neglected, so decided to get stuck when we departed Hobart ...

LOL, It is very embarrassing when your horn gets stuck.

The Love Boat horn sounded quite impressive in Kotor when we were there on Royal Princess in 2017, with the sound echoing back from the sides of the fjord. The ship disappearing in the distance is Rhapsody of the Seas which, of course, only has a standard horn.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True.

Do any other ships have tonal ship's horns or is it just a Princess thing.

The only one of “note” I am aware of is QM2 , One of her horns  is pitched as a replica of the original steam driven horn on Queen Mary.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True.

I seem to remember hearing a Disney ship in the Caribbean with something similar

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The only one of “note” I am aware of is QM2 , One of her horns  is pitched as a replica of the original steam driven horn on Queen Mary.

Isn't it actually one from the original Queen Mary (not just a pitched replica)?

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True.

The Disney ships can really turn it on with a range of Disney tunes. Most other Captains know not to encourage them! Do a search in youtube for a laugh.

Steve.

7 hours ago, Gnomey said:

The Disney ships can really turn it on with a range of Disney tunes. Most other Captains know not to encourage them! Do a search in youtube for a laugh.

Steve.

Disney tunes? do they do he Lion King?

12 hours ago, boeckli said:

Isn't it actually one from the original Queen Mary (not just a pitched replica)?

You are correct

https://www.chriscunard.com/qm2/qm2s-horn/

Its called a whistle and the original was steam driven . When we sailed on her the whistle was rigged up so that when it sounded , hot water was sprayed on to the metal and it looked like  a blast of steam , Not sure if they still do it .