Sirena question

Minnie1971

My husband and I are currently booked on a 7 day Jan. Cruise to the Caribbean on Sirena. 

In the past when we have cruised on other lines (princess and Disney when kids were young) He is happy to sit on a lounger most of the day or read but I enjoy doing many of the activities. On non port days can anyone tell me what activities are available? Thx in advance. 

• Like 1

You might not have chosen the best line for your expectations. Oceania is known for many things (food, service, casual and friendly atmosphere, etc) but not for entertainment and variety of activities like they offer on mega ships. Most of the people on Oceania are happy to entertain themselves much of the time and depend less on ship activities in general.

There are some activities offered - bingo, trivia, lectures - but on a port intensive itinerary like Caribbean where everyone tends to be off the ship during the day there won’t be much going on.

On TA cruises with more sea days they tend to have a lot more activities.

Hope that you will enjoy the cruise but have reasonable expectations.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, Minnie1971 said:

My husband and I are currently booked on a 7 day Jan. Cruise to the Caribbean on Sirena. 

In the past when we have cruised on other lines (princess and Disney when kids were young) He is happy to sit on a lounger most of the day or read but I enjoy doing many of the activities. On non port days can anyone tell me what activities are available? Thx in advance. 

In the carribe which is port intensive on a 7 day.... any sea day will leave people to relax ... From memory   there was really nothing   Only on multiple sea days  do  they  do...Most folks like it that way.

Sirena  wont have  the Art or the teaching cooking  the library  has games like cards and stuff.    Can you be happy with that...   It is what the line is all about  low key

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In the carribe which is port intensive on a 7 day.... any sea day will leave people to relax ... From memory   there was really nothing   Only on multiple sea days  do  they  do...Most folks like it that way.

Sirena  wont have  the Art or the teaching cooking  the library  has games like cards and stuff.    Can you be happy with that...   It is what the line is all about  low key

Also a newbie in the Caribbean (no Cuba you probably remember)....does that mean there are no lectures or trivia on sea days?  Those are the things we normally do on sea days with other lines.

1 minute ago, HokiePoq said:

Also a newbie in the Caribbean (no Cuba you probably remember)....does that mean there are no lectures or trivia on sea days?  Those are the things we normally do on sea days with other lines.

Triva..yes  daily,     However they are not going to take on a lecturer for 1 of 7 days...   On 14 and 21 days with many sea days then run lecturer series for 3 or 4 days.    

O is a great experience, it is quiet ambiance.  meals are the entertainment and conversation with others. O is for people comfortable with entertaining themselves in low key relaxation adult style.     It is not, nor are its passengers, interested in activities like the mass market floating resorts offer.   

Thats why most are here.You need to see if  O fits you. 

Not all cruise lines fit everyone   It won be an up scale Princess , Celebrity  it will  be entirely different than those

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

Triva..yes  daily,     However they are not going to take on a lecturer for 1 of 7 days...   On 14 and 21 days with many sea days then run lecturer series for 3 or 4 days.    

O is a great experience, it is quiet ambiance.  meals are the entertainment and conversation with others. O is for people comfortable with entertaining themselves in low key relaxation adult style.     It is not, nor are its passengers, interested in activities like the mass market floating resorts offer.   

Thats why most are here.You need to see if  O fits you. 

Not all cruise lines fit everyone   It won be an up scale Princess , Celebrity  it will  be entirely different than those

We're ten days...best Cuba itinerary available in my opinion which created this booking.   I know the food is great so just hoping I won't spend ten days stuffing myself with nothing else to do.   Love to read so I'll bring the Kindle and hope for the best.  No getting out of it due to circumstances but perhaps I will adopt our companions' exclusive love of O.

36 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

IME

there is trivia twice a day

lectures usually

games like mini putt. table tennis or ping pong whatever they call it

bingo

movies sometimes

sometimes a cooking demo on the R ships

afternoon tea  of course

You can always go to the gym

if your friends have cruised O before why not ask them about daily activities ?

Google Oceania dailies or newsletters

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

IME

there is trivia twice a day

lectures usually

games like mini putt. table tennis or ping pong whatever they call it

bingo

movies sometimes

sometimes a cooking demo on the R ships

afternoon tea  of course

Thanks, sounds good and not so different from what I choose.

have a look at the Preismans blog

Mike posted some dailies from a  few years back

the activities are pretty much the same  as now

different lectures  but you get the idea

https://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_dailies.htm

some are not interested in the activities  so say there is nothing to do 😉

YMMV

On a 7 day Caribbean cruise, how many non-port days do you expect?  I'd not think there would be any, but I haven't checked any itineraries and it's a long time since did (a) a 7 day cruise and (b) one to the Caribbean.

What we have encountered on our cruises where there are sea days are guest lectures -- often dealing with the area in question but not necessarily.  Also cooking demos in the Lounge.

I drafted this before other people chimed in.  I can see where no lecturers would be available on such a short cruise BUT also that I'd be surprised for sea days on a 7 day Carib cruise.  (Yes, I agree, I can be wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time.)

Come to think of it, we've never done a 7 day cruise anywhere.  Maybe 10 days ... but not in the Caribbean!

Mura

3 hours ago, HokiePoq said:

We're ten days...best Cuba itinerary available in my opinion which created this booking.   I know the food is great so just hoping I won't spend ten days stuffing myself with nothing else to do.   Love to read so I'll bring the Kindle and hope for the best.  No getting out of it due to circumstances but perhaps I will adopt our companions' exclusive love of O.

See post #4 above for a sample of daily activities on a port day (not Carib but it shouldn’t matter)

20 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

I am sorry but discussing rotator cuff pain and indoor crazy golf putting don't sound terribly exciting but to each their own.

Are those the only two activities you see being offered on those 2 separate port days?

Isn’t it understandable that on port days, when perhaps 90+% of the passengers may be onshore, the activities offered are a bit more limited?

On 7/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, Minnie1971 said:

Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, and Spinning are activities I do on non-port

(sea ) days..  I need to exercise and stay fit, after having all that great food available.  😁 

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On 7/4/2019 at 5:17 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, there's plenty to do onboard during port days:IMG_8572.thumb.JPG.5064c316f0d82b8dfa3177a7deca375f.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

If I read correctly, I believe OP wants to know what activities on non-port  (sea) days.  I may have misread though.

28 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

If I read correctly, I believe OP wants to know what activities on non-port  (sea) days.  I may have misread though.

Didn't have a sea day paper handy. That said, the ones I posted at least showed the minimum of what's available. On a sea day, add chef demos, wine/spirit tastings, additional lectures, gym classes, "stitch and *****," occasional extra trivia. On the bigger "O" ships, add the culinary school classes et al.