PV Desk Features

What was that?

I have seen photos/videos of the desk in the PV staterooms that show one side "drawer" pulled open to reveal drinks and snacks. I guess I assumed that was the refrigerator. I also see photos that clearly show the same configuration on both sides of the desk - what looks like a single drawer on each side, with the drawers closed. I am wondering what the other drawer is for? Do you have photos?

Inquiring minds want to know!

On the right side is the drawer with the refrigerated mini-bar. The left side is a door that when opened provides access to two (or three) drawers for guest use. Funny that I was on the Star a month ago and don't remember if two or three drawers. Guess I need another cruise.😏

The photo shows the desk has a symmetrical appearance.

IMG_1468.jpeg

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

I have seen photos/videos of the desk in the PV staterooms that show one side "drawer" pulled open to reveal drinks and snacks. I guess I assumed that was the refrigerator. I also see photos that clearly show the same configuration on both sides of the desk - what looks like a single drawer on each side, with the drawers closed. I am wondering what the other drawer is for? Do you have photos?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yes - we need another cruise too!  Not until December though.

I did find a picture that shows the desk head on - from our PV3 cabin (4010).  This might help as well.

On the right side is the drawer with the refrigerated mini-bar. The left side is a door that when opened provides access to two (or three) drawers for guest use. Funny that I was on the Star a month ago and don't remember if two or three drawers. Guess I need another cruise.[emoji57]

I can confirm that the 'other' side is a door that hides two drawers. Lots of storage space in PV.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@What was that?, we’ve done 12 and 14 nights cruises in a PV1 and were able to completely unpack all 4 suitcases (2 of which were carryon spinners). This wouldn’t have been feasible in a DV. We fly business and check luggage. Both our cruises were at the end of spring (Baltic & Med) and we packed for unseasonable weather, which we had both trips. 

Also, it’s a bit tight walking in front of the bed in a DV. All three stateroom classes (DV, PV, and PJS) are the same dimensions from cabin door to veranda; the additional space of the larger cabins is across the room. 

Thanks "neighbor" (I'm just down the road in Reno). I showed your response to a friend who is considering going with us and is dithering about cabin choice. This may have helped with that decision.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Okay, we are studying this possibility, upgrading to PV. Apparently our cruise is not selling out. So, do we want to keep our aft facing DV1 or switch to PV and be able to pass each other at the end of the bed. DH says whatever I want. That is why he is my darling. BTW, he does not drink spirits but I do. What to do???

36 minutes ago, theduffys said:

Okay, we are studying this possibility, upgrading to PV. Apparently our cruise is not selling out. So, do we want to keep our aft facing DV1 or switch to PV and be able to pass each other at the end of the bed. DH says whatever I want. That is why he is my darling. BTW, he does not drink spirits but I do. What to do???

Since I have gotten so much help here, I feel it is incumbent on me to pass along what I have learned in the process of making that same decision - in favor of a PV3 (#4018).

Major factors (except cost - you're on your own with that - I'll just say that the $500 diff for our 19-day cruise made cost a non-factor for us):

• The larger area of the PV is put to good use: see the comparison document attached, and note the position of the closet, for one, and the couch for another. I even cut these out and played with them. BTW, they are copied from the Viking website and scaled to match their lengths as best I can.
  • Drawers! The PV has 8 more drawers than are found in a DV. I do not hang my underwear, socks, polos, etc. in the closet at home, and do not feel it makes sense to start that on this cruise.
  • We will be in this cabin for 19 consecutive days in January and February 2021, from Barcelona to the Arctic Circle.

Minor factors:

• Earlier access to our stateroom (we may not arrive until late anyway).
  • Alcoholic bevs in the minibar.
  • Welcome champane.
  • Extra lead time for ordering excursions and dinner reservations.

The one thing my excellent TA did not already know about is the PVs come in two flavors: sliding glass door to the balcony, and a hinged and windowed door with a separate window. The other attached document identifies the ones with sliders, and seems to be correct, as it came from a Viking future cruise consultant - and I spot-checked it using photos and videos online.

Tip: if you decide to go up to a PV, look at photos of both kinds of balcony door arrangements, and pay particular attention to the lights you might use for reading while seated on the couch.

Good Luck, and good cruising!

V, DV-PV Comparison, Large.pdf Viking PV Slider Rooms.pdf

• Like 1

Having just spent 2 weeks in a forward PV, in MY opinion a DV would be much less desirable - even an aft-facing one.
Aft view is certainly a special view on a cruise, but it's also nice to be able to see what's coming up or aside the ship. (Got a video of Orcas swimming alongside the ship, jumping just off our stateroom).
The space and storage in PV is nearly ideal, where some have complained about not enough in V/DV, enough so that Viking has added drawers in the closets on the 3 newest ships.
Having both a sofa and easy chair is nice.
We enjoyed being toward the front of the ship. Able to use the forward elevators or stairs to go up to Explorer's Lounge or Wintergarden or down to the Spa or Theater. I was tentative about motion issues, but we had none.

For me, it depends on which the DW prefers, and she was unambiguous about her preference!

I'm not really certain if there are any absolutes in terms of benefits or liabilities. Look at the pictures and make your choice.

Good luck, Clay!

We loved our PV cabin and did not fill all the drawers (14 day cruise).  Found the two drawers in the desk the most inconvenient because you had to open the door before you pulled the drawer out.  Placed the least used items in these drawers.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We loved our PV cabin and did not fill all the drawers (14 day cruise).  Found the two drawers in the desk the most inconvenient because you had to open the door before you pulled the drawer out.  Placed the least used items in these drawers.

Ha!  We agree, TayanaLorna!   I'm surprised no one has mentioned that - but on our PV room we also felt the desk drawers were sort of "worthless" since it was awkward to get anything out of them, for just this reason.

However, minor detail, as we loved the size of the PV room!

Ha!  We agree, TayanaLorna!   I'm surprised no one has mentioned that - but on our PV room we also felt the desk drawers were sort of "worthless" since it was awkward to get anything out of them, for just this reason.
However, minor detail, as we loved the size of the PV room!
I used those desk drawers as sort of a less (non) secure "safe" to store things like cameras and computer accessories and things we'd bought along the way.
Not that we were ever concerned about security - the only things we locked in the safe were passports, jewelry and cash. Wasn't concerned about leaving my laptop on the desk for the whole trip.

• Like 1

Clay,

On 7/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, Clay Clayton said:

What are the benefits/liabilities if the slider v. Swinging door?

I just thought of one advantage to the slider: it does not need room to swing into the room or out onto the veranda (whichever way the swinging door goes). That gives a bit more flexibility to furniture arrangement within the room and on the veranda.

It only took a week for me to realize that (and a couple of cups of coffee...)!

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

That makes sense. Never had a PV but we always (lol-twice only sadly) move the coffee table to the corner and turn the chairs 90 degrees to each other to make the walk from bed to balcony more spacious.  

I remember you saying that - and I think you posted a photo. DW is in charge of furniture arrangement so I immediately showed it to her. Now she is excited about the trip! 🙄

T’won’t me but I’ll gladly take the credit for other’s work! LOL.  I too saw someone else had suggested it and over my DH’s initial objections convinced him to try.  It stayed that way the whole cruise. 

Just sayin’

On 7/8/2019 at 6:54 PM, theduffys said:

My vote is to upgrade.  We had friends who loved everything other than the lack of space at the end of the bed in their DV.  Next cruise, it was PV or PJS - can’t remember which - for them for sure.

We booked a DV4 for our first Viking Ocean but got an upgrade offer about a week before. I think it was something like $199 and I think it was for each of us..  I know it seemed like a good price considering that it included in room alcohol. 

We loved it and I wouldn’t think of booking anything different. We have the exact same cabin for our upcoming cruise and the same one on the opposite side of the ship for the one after that.