Costa Maya port

bowen9475

I thought I had read about the port of Costa Maya having activities right there to do. Am I remembering correctly? If so what type of activities? Any information on prices? Not interested in the waterpark. Thanks for the help.

Edited by bowen9475

There is a small pool, small "beach", overpriced restaurant, typical cruise port shopping, but some local souvenirs ( like small alebrijes-colorful mythical creatures.  You can either "swim with the dolphins" for a fee or simply watch them swim around.

This link gives some more detail  https://costamaya.com/about-the-port/

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lisah101 said:

Has anyone done this port?  I've read you can't sit in the chairs poolside at the port unless you buy a few drinks, but no info on how many or cost.

Sorry,  We've been to CM many times.  Typically avoid the port stuff like the plague.  But seems like a lot of cruisers do hang out. 

At any beachclub along the malecon in Mahahual, yes, you do have to order food or drink.  Suggestion is $10 worth.  Not hard to do even with beers at $2-3. 

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Sorry,  We've been to CM many times.  Typically avoid the port stuff like the plague.  But seems like a lot of cruisers do hang out. 

At any beachclub along the malecon in Mahahual, yes, you do have to order food or drink.  Suggestion is $10 worth.  Not hard to do even with beers at $2-3. 

Thank you, we are doing beach excursions at other ports so this one is going to be a simple stop, maybe a few hours, then back on board.

1 hour ago, Lisah101 said:

Thank you, we are doing beach excursions at other ports so this one is going to be a simple stop, maybe a few hours, then back on board.

I am not sure about the pool but I don’t think there is any minimum purchase required. We have used the loungers in the very quiet area next to the old snorkeling pool for a while when returning to the port early and never been approached by anyone.

Drinks and food are certainly expensive compared to the town but factor in the size of your party and the $16 return taxi fare.

we were going to stay in the port on our trip last month because we had a young child and because of the seaweed situation we were going to use the pool and visit the aviary. However, our ship was unable to dock due to winds so I never got to check out the lounger area first hand. Like Crew we usually hit the town or Maya Chan. However it is worth getting off and looking round the port area even if it is just for the exercise of walking the length of the pier!

If you don't feel like going anywhere, the port of Costa Maya is more than enough to spend few hours. If you prefer the beach, than an $8 taxi ride will take you to some nice beaches and bars, where you can do a lot of water activities and have some local food and drinks. We really enjoyed the port area too.

There is a spa that does great massages at a reasonable price. They book up early, so go get an appointment before strolling the shops. I don't remember the prices, but I do remember it was less than half what the ship charges. Also, no pressure to buy products.

They are in one of the covered palapas near the center entertainment area.

Barb

• 1 month later...

When we were there in May, they were very clear and strict about the lounge chairs only being available to people while buying food and drinks.  We were there early in the morning and there were almost no people by the pool, and the place did not offer any coffee drinks.   Later in the day, they made several loud announcements about the lounge chairs being only for use while consuming, and a server shooed away my wife with our toddler when she asked to order coffee.  I think the cheapest drink was well over $10 but I’m not sure. 

I had read on these forums that the lounge chairs were free and planned our day around that, but that was obviously incorrect information.  Maybe some days they are lenient, but not the day we were there. 

The pool is free though!

When there are two or more ships, the port area becomes so crowded! We prefer to leave the port area and go elsewhere. By afternoon that pool is packed.

We always walk around the area on the way back to the ship. It has grown so with so many more shops.  We have been to Costa Maya many times so I do not find too much of interest in the shops. Watching the dolphins and flamingos was nice. So many jewelry shops, I wonder how they all survive.

• 1 month later...