Only need birth certificate for toddler?

NewlyMrs.Kilday

3 hours ago, NewlyMrs.Kilday said:

I tried searching but couldn’t find the answer. Cruising on RCI to Bahamas (closed loop) with 2 year old. Obviously she doesn’t have a drivers license, so the only thing we need is her birth certificate? Is that correct? 

You need either a birth certificate or a passport. I am not sure if a drivers license will even work for international travel.

If it were me I would get the passport -- I'm an optimistic person but I always plan for the worst case scenario.

The U.S. State Department is always my go to resource, their linked page includes context and the following statement: "However, we strongly recommend you obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires you to disembark and return by air."

Also, if in doubt always check with the cruise line and U.S. State Department.

• Like 1

Under 16 needs NO photo ID.  A BC is all that's required for the younger set.  This is for American citizens on a closed loop cruise beginning in the USA and ending at the same port.  Typically, these are Caribbean cruises.

We have always had passports for our kids, it is just peace of mind, in my opinion. I realize the chances are low, but, if something happens, you miss the ship in port, or there is a medical issue, etc, you will not be able to fly back to the US without a passport.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, mjmalino said:

We have always had passports for our kids, it is just peace of mind, in my opinion. I realize the chances are low, but, if something happens, you miss the ship in port, or there is a medical issue, etc, you will not be able to fly back to the US without a passport.

You "will" be able to, but it's just a bit more difficult and time consuming if the child has no passport.