Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood beach

shatzi13

We're driving to Ft Lauderdale a few days before our August cruise.  We've been to Florida many times but have never had time to go to a beach.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a family friendly beach in the area?  Thanks! 

Hollywood Beach is BY FAR the better, more family friendly beach. It's not even close. Both are nice, but Hollywood has the broadwalk with bicycle rentals, live music, no cars, playgrounds, restaurants, shopping, water taxi, etc.  

Really, it's not even close. We don't even go to Fort Lauderdale Beach anymore. Nobody I know does.  Especially after the Margaritaville resort opened on Hollywood. Plus there are really decent boutique hotels with low rates on Hollywood. Check TripAdvisor. If margaritaville is in your budget, stay there. 

1 hour ago, snowmen said:

Where would you suggest staying

Hollywood is sort of in between FLL and Miami and is a good option. Otherwise stay near your port - i.e. FLL area for cruises from port Everglades

Hollywood is MUCH closer to Port Everglades than Miami. So close that Port Everglades is IN Hollywood.... I'm not sure I'd suggest it's an in between area. The airport is the FLL - Hollywood Airport.  Hollywood Beach is touching Port Everglades... 

Lots of boutique hotels on Hollywood Beach.  Check TripAdvisor for reviews and rates to find one that is right.

Edited by BNBR

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort is right in Fort Lauderdale and very close to the port.  It's a great resort, right on the beach and extremely family friendly.  They will have things going on for kids during the day, movies shown pool side at night.  Large pool, things to rent and you can watch the cruise ships leave in the evening.  

On 7/14/2019 at 11:55 PM, cheeseclan said:

The Diplomat beach resort Hollywood, by Hilton is a great hotel.  Awesome pools and great beach.

Cheeseclan, last time we stayed at the Diplomat the beach was horrible.  Only about ten feet wide.

Have you been recently?  One of my favorite pools in South Florida.

The beach has never been that wide around the diplomat.  It's a pretty nice hotel but it's not on the broadwalk.  More like a hotel you would just stay at for the spa, beach, pool, excellent service, etc.  But not necessarily wander beyond it.  For family friendly, Diplomat isn't going to hold a candle to Margaritaville or even the Marriott FLL as Carolyn suggested.

Edited by BNBR

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, snowmen said:

Where would you suggest staying

We just stayed 2 nights precruise on Hollywood Beach! We have 2 teenage boys and stayed at the Hollywood Beach Marriott. I would highly recommend it! I did a lot of research, it wasn’t cheap but it was so quaint!  For our meals, we would walk down the Broadwalk and find cute little restaurants and sit outside for breakfast and dinners. The Marriott also does include bikes. They have a reasonable happy hour for drinks and appetizers at 3:30 everyday.

10 hours ago, exercisemama said:

We just stayed 2 nights precruise on Hollywood Beach! We have 2 teenage boys and stayed at the Hollywood Beach Marriott. I would highly recommend it! I did a lot of research, it wasn’t cheap but it was so quaint!  For our meals, we would walk down the Broadwalk and find cute little restaurants and sit outside for breakfast and dinners. The Marriott also does include bikes. They have a reasonable happy hour for drinks and appetizers at 3:30 everyday.

Great information.  Are the bikes offered complimentary by the hotel? 

16 hours ago, BNBR said:

Great information.  Are the bikes offered complimentary by the hotel? 

Yes they are complimentary! Well they add on a $20 fee which includes the WiFi, bikes, slushies at the pool a glass champagne upon arrival, water and snacks at check in.

• Like 1