Koningsdam Favorite Restaurants

mcrcruiser

I loved Canaletto, thought the food was wonderful...............and of course Dive In, my favorite burger place.  NY Deli and Pizza is another favorite, the pizza's are delicious..............let's put it this way, you can't go wrong anywhere you eat, IMHO..............................

• Like 1

Tamarind.

We first enjoyed Tamarind on Eurodam and subsequently ate there the next time we went out on her. We then ate there on Koningsdam when we were in Norway last summer. The atmosphere is very elegant and the food suits us as we both enjoy seafood and many of the pan-Asian dishes feature seafood. 

We haven't eaten at any of K'dam's other restaurants - tired of the Pinnacle Grill and didn't feel that the food/atmosphere of the Canaletto warranted the surcharge. My 2 cents...

1 Tamarind - always good on every ship that has it

2 Sel de Mer -  excellent food and service

3 Grand Dutch Cafe - unique and fun

4 Canaletto - okay for a change-of-pace from MDR

Didn't try Pinnacle Grill on our one cruise on K'dam

Edited by catl331

Our personal preference based on our recent Koningsdam 13 day cruise.

Really all options are good but for us some have advantages or disadvantages. Here is our ranking of the sit down options

1.  Club Orange - Loved it. Skipped the MDR completely this cruise and loved the service and more intimate experience  as well as the added feature entree each night which was always good.  Breakfast was fine too and really did not feel like it was a step down from Pinnacle.

2.  Sel de Mer - We ate here twice and both meals and service were excellent.

3. Tamarind - Usually our favorite.  This trip ate here twice both times service was slower than expected but still good and food was excellent.  The slow service may have resulted from us ordering one Nigiri Tuna for our daughter from Nami Sushi which took 30 minutes both nights. 

4. Pinnacle Grill - Ate two lunches and one dinner here.  Service and ambience are both great.  Food good but seems like some more updated options could make it more interesting for those of us returning over and over.  We had a free dinner the last evening we cancelled so we could dine in Club Orange instead.

5. Canaletto - Ate dinner here once .  Food good, service good but ambience still weird being in the corner of the Lido (but better than Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).  We did like it and was a nice change of pace but liked other options better.

We actually enjoy the MDR and eat most dinners there during late fixed dining. 

The Tamarind has been our favorite specialty restaurant but Sel de Mer is offering some strong competition for our OBC! We had avoided Sel de Mer cuz I was put off by the idea of an ala carte restaurant on a cruise (but the specialty restaurant "cover charge" did not bother me so much - I have no explanation). On our last cruise, friends dragged us to Sel de Mer (not quite kicking and screaming but certainly sceptical) and we loved it. The food was excellent and the service was superb. And it turned out to cost less than if we had gone to the Pinnacle! I recommend that you be careful how much you order; the portions were very generous, especially the side dishes which could serve 2-3 people IMO.  

I think another gem is the NY Pizza/Deli. It is a relatively undiscovered spot for breakfast. They have a good breakfast bagel sandwich and breakfast pizzas. It was much calmer than the Lido for breakfast. During the day they have very good deli sandwiches and good thin crust pizzas. They have late night snacks that sound good, but with late dining I have always been too full to give them a try. 

The Grand Dutch Cafe is also very nice - be sure to try the bitterballen and spring rolls (served from 4 -8 pm I think). Most of the food is "free" but drinks (coffees, beer...) may be extra. 

• Like 1

Love Koningsdam!  We recommend, Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto (in the buffet area) Grand Dutch Cafe (wish it was open longer into the evening) Dive In......great fries, NY Deli.....wonderful sandwiches and pizza.  Wish I was back onboard!

I just finished the 13-day cruise on Koningsdam.

We love the food on this ship , specifically pan cakes and coffees on Grand Dutch, Nami sushi, dinner on CO, fries on Dive-In.

It was exceptional and better than all my previous 12 cruises , including the one on Celebrity Silouhette ‘s eastern med .

I am surprised this ship is not ranked in top 10 for food on Cruise Critic.

Definitely will return to Koningsdam soon.

• Like 3

I LOVED the Grand Dutch Café on deck 3. There was a charge (fairly reasonable amount) for drinks,  like specialty coffees and teas, but the sandwiches and pastries (which were free) were to die for. On two days I was able to get shrimp salad sandwiches, which I haven't seen on any ship for years. Their hours were great, too. We'd often get back on ship after a tour, just a little too late for the buffet and the MDR, but the Grand Dutch Café was open. And the cute young men (Dutch?) who worked there were very friendly and helpful.

I also loved the buffet. Usually I like to eat at the MDR because I like getting served. But the buffet had great choices, was broken up into different sections so there was never a huge line, and staff served the items so there wasn't any of that "ick" factor in wondering if the person in front of you had clean hands, etc. So we only ate in the MDR once, which made my DH happy because he loves buffets.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2019 at 6:36 AM, mcw331 said:

Our personal preference based on our recent Koningsdam 13 day cruise.

Really all options are good but for us some have advantages or disadvantages. Here is our ranking of the sit down options

1.  Club Orange - Loved it. Skipped the MDR completely this cruise and loved the service and more intimate experience  as well as the added feature entree each night which was always good.  Breakfast was fine too and really did not feel like it was a step down from Pinnacle.

2.  Sel de Mer - We ate here twice and both meals and service were excellent.

3. Tamarind - Usually our favorite.  This trip ate here twice both times service was slower than expected but still good and food was excellent.  The slow service may have resulted from us ordering one Nigiri Tuna for our daughter from Nami Sushi which took 30 minutes both nights. 

4. Pinnacle Grill - Ate two lunches and one dinner here.  Service and ambience are both great.  Food good but seems like some more updated options could make it more interesting for those of us returning over and over.  We had a free dinner the last evening we cancelled so we could dine in Club Orange instead.

5. Canaletto - Ate dinner here once .  Food good, service good but ambience still weird being in the corner of the Lido (but better than Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).  We did like it and was a nice change of pace but liked other options better.

Didn’t love pinnacle on last cruise niew statendam, never had a problem on other cruises , but food was too salty and had to be sent back, ordered upcharged steak and it was grizzly 

sent it all back

all the others were great

• Like 1