Singapore to Hong Kong - advice please

Cruising the waves

I'm travelling on this cruise and getting very excited at the prospect of visiting Asia for the first time.  Please can anyone offer advice regarding ship tours vs private tours in Vietnam.   I've done some research on the Asia section of CC and Tours with Xuan is recommended.   I'm a solo traveller so private tours often work out quite expensive ...   I'm wondering about a private tour for Hoian and Danang which is a 50:50 split full day tour and guaranteed to get me back to the ship before it sails.   All advice is very welcome. 

I've already read up on DEET and mosquito bite avoidance and the suggestions of long sleeves and long trousers ... I had been planning on shorts and tee shirts but again any advice really welcome.    And, what about sitting out on deck whilst the ship is in port in the evening ..... is that also a mosquito haven.   

These are all probably silly questions to experienced Silversea passengers but your help is needed please.    Any other tips, dos or don't will be much appreciated.

Thanking you 

Jill

Definitely do private tours. Check out TonyAnn Tours. You can choose your own agenda, be in a private vehicle and in Viet Nam the private tours are not that expensive. You can also check to roll call board to see if anyone want stop share the tours. If there's no thread for your cruise start one. Personally, I'll do anything to avoid touring on a bus with forty other people.

26 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

When are you travelling and on which ship. With regard to one of your questions about mosquitoes, you might be bitten outside on the ship in port, but it’s pretty unlikely.

Whoops!  In all my excitement I forgot to give the details ... I’m travelling on 4 January 2020 on Silver Spirit. 

I live in Vietnam (Vung Tau). In general, there are two seasons: hot & dry (Nov. thru April) and hot & wet (May thru Oct.). January is a good time to visit.

Long sleeves and long trousers are not recommended for comfort reasons - I live in shorts, summer shirts and flip flops year round -  but DO use a mosquito repellent containing DEET. 

have taken that trip.most everybody wore minimum clothes (except Muslims). used very little, but 99% deet is great. it kept the dive bombers off while in tall grass on the outer banks for more than 8 hours. if you go to the Cambodia area they will probably not take your blood if you donate back home. we generally take the ship tours because if you miss the boat it gets to be a hussle

if it's a tight schedule & the boat rarely waits for you.

Good luck with your upcoming Singapore to Hong Kong sailing.  As detailed below in my live/blog, we did most of these fascinating areas and locations earlier last year.  Super loved the history, sights, culture, food, etc., etc.  What dates are you sailing  and the specific ports/cities to be visited??  We fortunately did a combination of land/air travel, plus seven days sailing up the Mekong River, etc.  That allowed us much more time and better logistics to have more of an "immersion" into the depth for all that is offered in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia.  Are you going to try to go to Seim Reap/Angkor Wat?

My top tip is to do serious research and to plan ahead accordingly.  There are so many great options and where the ship docks away from these major cities affects the at-times challenging logistics.  Private tours can be wonderful, but as a single traveler that makes such arrangement either harder or more costly.   Go to my live/blog and ask any and all follow-up questions.  Happy to share more.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 48,216 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474