Staying in Potts Point area, what to do pre-cruise?

We'll be staying one night before our cruise in the Potts Point area of Sydney.  I've read ALL the lists of things to do, which is overwhelming.  I don't know what to try to tackle when we are somewhat jet lagged and not very close to anything.  Any ideas?  Would a ferry ride somewhere be good with some walking on a beach?  I can't take my husband on the LONG walking tours, he likes to be lazy and maybe take naps.  We arrive early in the AM October 22 and can't check in until maybe 2pm at the MacCleary Hotel.  

I thought about the Trolls motorcycle tours, but it's pretty pricey.  Any suggestions welcomed!  Thanks

PS, we'll be back after the cruise for 3 days of touring. I plan to see all the usual, Bondi Beach, Opera house, Rocks area, walk the bridge (short tower?), Free walking tour, Taronga zoo, maybe Manly beach.  

Drop your luggage at the hotel then go sown to Circular Quay. Take the ferry to Manly. Walk through the Corso from the ferry terminal to the ocean beach and cross over to the Esplanade. Turn right and follow the path around to Shelly Beach. It's a very pleasant, gentle walk with lots of seats along the way. Look out for the little metal sculptures in the rocks at the side of the walkway. Some are very cute. 

There are plenty of good cafes and restaurants in Manly for coffee, lunch or dinner.

Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine is the best thing you can do to help recover from jet lag.

Another option would be to walk around Circular Quay, past the Opera House, into the botanical gardens. 

And yet another option would be to take the lift at the eastern side of Circular Quay up to the Cahill Expressway where there is a walkway that joins the harbour bridge walkway. The other side of the harbour bridge walkway ends at Kirribilli where there are good cafes and restaurants. If you don't want to walk back across the bridge you can take the train back. Milsons Point station is right there.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Another option to consider would be to take the ferry to Watson's Bay for fish and chips on the Wharf.  There are beautiful walks along the waterfront on the harbour, then through the Park to The Gap to catch the bus back via a scenic route direct to Kings Cross.

I do both ferry trips to Manly and Watson's Bay every time I visit Sydney (several times a year).

If you enjoy the theatre, you can catch the local bus (311) to Belvoir Theatre (near Central), or train, and to Sydney Theatre Company at Walsh Bay (You can walk from here, under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, to Circular Quay and the Opera House.  Hayes Theatre, a tiny musical theatre, is walking distance at Elizabeth Bay.

Edited by MMDown Under

Fish and Chips at Watson’s Bay is one of life’s little luxuries, (together with a Tiger at The Loo) hint for new players, grab it at Doyle’s at the Pub, same food lower price.

Thank you all. These sound like wonderful options.

MMDownunder, if I go to Watson’s bay to the harbor and The Park (which Park?) and what is The Gap where I’d get the bus?  How would I know the bus # for scenic route?  I’m planning to get Opal card. It works for ferry & bus, right.

any particular place to get the Fish & Chips? Also, what is Tiger at The Loo?  Tiger prawns?

OzKiwiJj thanks for the very detailed instructions!  Tough to choose between Manly & Watson’s bay. I think DH will want the Fish & Chips tho!

We are staying at Meriton Pitt street on last leg. Any of these suggestions good from that location?

The ferry from Circular Quay goes to Watson's Bay, which is on the harbour.  There are three eating places, but I eat at the inexpensive one on the actual Wharf, where you get off the ferry.  The park is harbour front at the end of the Wharf.  You walk through the park to The Gap, which has spectacular views of the ocean.  (It now has wire fences to try to stop people committing suicide.)  The bus stop is opposite the top of the park at the bottom of the steps to The Gap.  It is easy to see all this from the park.  There are three buses which go from this stop.  One may say via Kings Cross (from memory), but ask the driver.  One goes along the oceanfront to North Bondi and Bondi to the city. Al busses take a scenic route.  I will look up bus numbers for you. 

Yes Opal Card works for ferry, train, and bus.  

You can buy fish and chips at both Manly and Watson's Bay.  

Yes suggestions are good for both Kings Cross and Pitt Street.  

Bus 324/325 go to the city via Kings Cross.  380 goes to North Bondi, Bondi, Bondi Junction and Paddington (weekend market) to the City.  (When I catch this bus, I get out at North Bondi and have lunch/drink at RSL, then walk along the beachfront to end of Bondi Beach and have a drink at Icebreakers (with beautiful views over the rockpool and Bondi Beach).

You can look up bus route on the internet for your information.  

Edited by MMDown Under

491686D8-AC19-4C02-B4A0-DD5826765C58.thumb.png.9c52ad661872df604bcc9fb478345bf1.pngIs that the Macleay hotel ?

If you want to relax,just a short walk to the   Woolloomooloo bay hotel for lunch. (via mc elhone stairs ) it’s a lovely historic pub and a little bit further is the botanical gardens.

After a few pints of beer catch a taxi back.

Edited by Chiliburn

4 hours ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

OzKiwiJj thanks for the very detailed instructions!  Tough to choose between Manly & Watson’s bay. I think DH will want the Fish & Chips tho!

Plenty of fish and chips in Manly too. Most of the cafes have fish and chips on the menu and there is a good fish and chip shop one block to the right of the Corso at the esplanade end. The best fish for fish and chips is flathead in my opinion. It's a very mild white fish that has narrow fillets which are beautiful when battered and fried.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:43 PM, MMDown Under said:

The ferry from Circular Quay goes to Watson's Bay, which is on the harbour.  There are three eating places, but I eat at the inexpensive one on the actual Wharf, where you get off the ferry.  The park is harbour front at the end of the Wharf.  You walk through the park to The Gap, which has spectacular views of the ocean.  (It now has wire fences to try to stop people committing suicide.)  The bus stop is opposite the top of the park at the bottom of the steps to The Gap.  It is easy to see all this from the park.  There are three buses which go from this stop.  One may say via Kings Cross (from memory), but ask the driver.  One goes along the oceanfront to North Bondi and Bondi to the city. Al busses take a scenic route.  I will look up bus numbers for you. 

Yes Opal Card works for ferry, train, and bus.  

You can buy fish and chips at both Manly and Watson's Bay.  

Yes suggestions are good for both Kings Cross and Pitt Street.  

Bus 324/325 go to the city via Kings Cross.  380 goes to North Bondi, Bondi, Bondi Junction and Paddington (weekend market) to the City.  (When I catch this bus, I get out at North Bondi and have lunch/drink at RSL, then walk along the beachfront to end of Bondi Beach and have a drink at Icebreakers (with beautiful views over the rockpool and Bondi Beach).

You can look up bus route on the internet for your information.  

Thank you all so much.  I think I will do this!  Lots of great ideas and info.  I really do appreciate you all.  Thanks

On 7/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, Chiliburn said:

491686D8-AC19-4C02-B4A0-DD5826765C58.thumb.png.9c52ad661872df604bcc9fb478345bf1.pngIs that the Macleay hotel ?

If you want to relax,just a short walk to the   Woolloomooloo bay hotel for lunch. (via mc elhone stairs ) it’s a lovely historic pub and a little bit further is the botanical gardens.

After a few pints of beer catch a taxi back.

Yes, the MacCleay Hotel -- I always get the name wrong!   Where is this menu from?  Sorry if it's a dumb question. 

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Woolomolloo hotel, just a short walk

You spelt it wrong! It's Woolloomooloo and the easy way to remember how to spell it is Sheep (Wool) Toilet (Loo) Cow (Moo) Toilet (Loo).🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You spelt it wrong! It's Woolloomooloo and the easy way to remember how to spell it is Sheep (Wool) Toilet (Loo) Cow (Moo) Toilet (Loo).🤣

Years ago there was a Barnshed tavern there to go with that theme.

Best were the wharves there, though sadly now taken over by hotel/apartments, which have lost their soul and just like any other accommodation elsewhere.