Money question

mbuckles071

I cant remember where to find the answer to my question, so... How much money does Carnival hold on your account? And is it per room or per account? I'm trying to decide how much to have available on credit card(s). We will be going on an 8 night cruise. Also please help me understand differences in credit card vs debit.

1 minute ago, mbuckles071 said:

I cant remember where to find the answer to my question, so... How much money does Carnival hold on your account? And is it per room or per account? I'm trying to decide how much to have available on credit card(s). We will be going on an 8 night cruise. Also please help me understand differences in credit card vs debit.

They put holds on depending on your useage.  $200 to start.  The only thing you need know credit vs debit is don't use a debit card,  If credit holds are an issue, use cash.

• Thanks 1

From Carnival's FAQ's:

The guest's credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit; if the card is activated online, the initial hold will be placed on file on the day of embarkation:

2 - 6 day cruise: $100 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card 

7 days or longer: $200 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card

Throughout the cruise, additional holds will be obtained as needed when the Sail & Sign account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file.

If a credit card is presented, this will reduce the amount available on the credit card for other purchases.

If a debit/check-cashing card is presented, the hold will restrict the available cash in the checking account.

A hold placed on a credit card goes towards the cards credit limit. A debit card is linked directly to your bank account and your personal funds in it. Holds on a debit card go towards your bank balance. Placing a hold on your debit card could tie up funds you may need later until the hold is released.

• Like 1

I’ve used a debit card on my last 3 cruises. Never had an issue with holds on my money. Yes, they put a $100 hold on your account, but just like credit cards, that hold is released as soon as I’m off the ship.

• Like 1

I know this does not answer your question, but I cruised the Horizon over the 4th of July holiday and used all cash and it was very easy! If you have any questions about doing that, I would be glad to answer them. I traveled with a family and set limits for the two youngest. Added cash twice I think, and checked out the night before for a full refund of what was left on our cash account. 

There are also ATM’s onboard if you need to access cash from your bank. Carnival charges $6 to access their ATM and allowed up to a $500 w/d per day- although your bank may have additional fees and w/d limits. I also notified my bank in advance of our trip that we would be sailing. 

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I usually use a credit card but once I did use a debit card (sort by mistake) but I did not have any problems. I check my account before leaving the ship and everything was cleared. 

Some of those waiting in the long lines at GS are those who used a debit card and don't have the cash in the connected account available or don't understand how holds work.  

7 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Some of those waiting in the long lines at GS are those who used a debit card and don't have the cash in the connected account available or don't understand how holds work.  

I was 101% dreading the long lines at guest services- especially with the numbers on the Horizon. But I all but walked up to a representative every time I needed to access them for anything (maybe 1-3 people in front of me). WITH the exception of the night before- WORD. That said, we enjoyed a couple drinks and let the line die down. The GS rep also informed us that we could use the Sail & Sign Kiosk to sign out- which she report would give us back our cash in equal dollars (if we were owed $181.30, it will only give us $180). We tried to access that instead of standing in line, but it wouldn't allow us to withdraw the cash. When we asked why, she said it was because our balance was actually spread between ours and the kids (because we had given them allowances). So it's possible if that isn't your case to check out using that IF you or someone is to use cash.

I personally have used three methods, cash, credit, and debit. I found cash to be the easiest because you control how much is placed on the account and when it's gone, it's gone. With the credit card, we ran into the additional hold being placed when the limit was reached. Not that it was a problem, however, some people aren't aware. I never had any issues with my debit card taking a long time to have charges fall off.Overall I have just decided cash is easier. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:33 PM, mbuckles071 said:

Using a credit card you would receive a bill for the actual charges, but they may also put holds so you need to have a large enough available credit (which you should have regardless for emergencies).

Using a debit card you will have a withdrawal from your linked account (generally checking) of your actual charges, but they may also put holds so you need to have enough available balance (which again you should have regardless) plus enough to cover any other obligations on that account (auto billing, etc.) . If your debit card is linked to a major credit provider (Visa/Mastercard) then you want to be sure to process as credit not debit.  While it will pull from your account either way, processing as credit versus PIN transaction gives you Visa/MC protection in addition to your bank protection.

If you use cash or gift cards there should not be a hold since they physically have your money at this point and do not need to make sure you still have that money at the end of the cruise.  With credit or debit you may have other obligations during the cruise which deplete your available funds, hence the hold.