Medallion Door Locks/Unlocks

Bwana Tom

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

So checking to make sure the cabin door is locked when you leave is not possible.

How can a solo cruiser confirm if their door is indeed locked if they have their medallion on their person?

I've had many, many cabin doors that close and appear secured but when I give them a tug and often hear the lock click into place.

56 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

How can a solo cruiser confirm if their door is indeed locked if they have their medallion on their person?

I've had many, many cabin doors that close and appear secured but when I give them a tug and often hear the lock click into place.

Just pull the door closed the way you did with a cruise card or let it slam to check it.

No different.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Just pull the door closed the way you did with a cruise card or let it slam to check it.

No different.

We try turning the door handle to make sure. In this case with the medallion it would open. So we would need to do what was suggested. Take both of them away far enough so they will not work and then check the door. One problem with that. If we are by ourselves and leavings the room.

8 hours ago, fishywood said:

To my knowledge the only ships with the card-operated switch inside the cabin are Royal and Regal Princess.

My post didn't mean to imply that the internal detectors also functioned to open and close the door.

I was referring to the Regal Princess and internal detectors to open/close the door.

steamboats

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The little screen next to the door has a picture of a lock.  Lock open = door open, lock closed = door locked.  When you walk up to your door you can hear it open, and see the little lock change to open.  If you wait too long it will reclose and then you have to touch your Medallion to the screen to open it.

When you leave you can hear it click closed and the little lock will show closed.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

What does the screen show if you're looking for your cabin mate & they're in your cabin? Does it require a pin number or just indicate that they're in the cabin without showing an actual cabin number?

Just did a test where my DW was in our deck 9 cabin and I was in the deck 9 elevator area. The shipmate screen option said she was on deck 8 midship which was somewhat correct only the wrong floor. No mention of cabin number though. 

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just did a test where my DW was in our deck 9 cabin and I was in the deck 9 elevator area. The shipmate screen option said she was on deck 8 midship which was somewhat correct only the wrong floor. No mention of cabin number though. 

So at this point in time the locate feature doesn't seem to be working properly at all.

Last year it would show her location as being in the cabin & also directions from where you were standing to her location. At that time all of the medallion sensors hadn't yet been installed & it would only register her last known position. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

So at this point in time the locate feature doesn't seem to be working properly at all.

Last year it would show her location as being in the cabin & also directions from where you were standing to her location. At that time all of the medallion sensors hadn't yet been installed & it would only register her last known position. 

Just a note to remember the Crown wasn’t supposed to go live yet with the MedallionNet until next cruise, so consider us in beta test mode. 

20 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just a note to remember the Crown wasn’t supposed to go live yet with the MedallionNet until next cruise, so consider us in beta test mode. 

The last time we sailed they were only working on it installing the screens & door panels. It is a neat feature when it finally does get installed. (for some features).

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were on the Crown 6/30-7/12.  They gave us both a Medallion and a card.  They originally said the card was for the dining room only.  But, they also checked it going on and off the ship.

However, I lost mine somewhere while in port and when I got back on the ship they just scanned the Medallion and told me to go to the front desk to get a new card, so really don't know what the point of it was except as a test.

4 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

We were on the Crown 6/30-7/12.  They gave us both a Medallion and a card.  They originally said the card was for the dining room only.  But, they also checked it going on and off the ship.

However, I lost mine somewhere while in port and when I got back on the ship they just scanned the Medallion and told me to go to the front desk to get a new card, so really don't know what the point of it was except as a test.

They generally use both until the system is working smoothly. At some point they stop issuing the cards (unless specifically requested). 

The times we had both, the cruise cards couldn't be used for the screens around the ship.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

In the beginning its stages with medallion implementation that use both like you said the cards I remember on the Regal they said we're just for the dining room in time. Eventually they will do away with the card. As for dining information they usually give you a little card with your dining room time and table number.

As for why they were checking your card and save your medallion when we boarding the ship out of work I'm just going to go with it's simply out of old habits.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, Bwana Tom said:

Okay, I understand that on the medallion cruises the stateroom doors unlock automatically when you approach, but what happens if you are simply strolling down the passageway and don't intend to enter your stateroom? Does the door lock again automatically as you get out of range?

Yes.

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

The passengers who let their doors slam always seem to be in the adjacent cabin😁😁

8 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

Ya and a bit annoying! 😫

At least you know it's closed. :classic_happy:

Just kidding. :classic_laugh:

On 7/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, fishywood said:

To my knowledge the only ships with the card-operated switch inside the cabin are Royal and Regal Princess. 

Some of the new cabins on the Island Princess have the card-operated switch. I was in one of them last month. I have an old grocery store loyalty card I use for it, because I'm always afraid I'd leave my cruise card behind accidentally.

I believe in one point in time they had intentions of linking it to your cruise card so people would be forced to use only the cruise card to operate the lights.

With the introduction of the medallion system who knows how it will be linked in the future. 

I would be happy if it turned on the lights as soon as the door mechanism operated but if I still have to switch on a light when entering, I'm going to leave my bedside lamp on as in the past.