Buenos Aries to Santiago or Reverse?

BermudaBound2014

Is there a preferred direction for Antarctica cruises? Buenos Aries to Santiago or Santiago to Buenos Aries? Why?

My thinking is Eastbound ~Santiago to Buenos Aries because the 'best' is at the end of the trip (Antarctica and Stanley). However; the timing is better for westbound Buenos Aries to Santiago. Wondering if I'm missing something. What is your preferred direction?

I generally recommend visiting the Falklands en route to the Antarctic peninsula. The wildlife is fantastic, but after Antarctica, some people are a little underwhelmed or too tired to appreciate it.

However, if you’re not landing in Antarctica, that advice may not apply as much.

• Like 2

Best?  Probably subjective.  We will be sailing BA to Santiago in January.  We chose that direction so we could add a few days in Rio prior to the cruise--two cities before relaxing on the cruise--and adding five days in Easter Island from Santiago at the end that corresponds with the Tapati festival in early February.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on which ship/company you are looking at (and point us to the itineraries?), because most of the Antarctica cruise I know (and the ones I did) actually depart from Ushuaia and return there.

If you are looking at a "cruise by" in Antarctica with no landings, I don't think the direction matters much and you can choose whichever suits best your overall travel plans.

8 hours ago, SarniaLo said:

Can you elaborate on which ship/company you are looking at (and point us to the itineraries?), because most of the Antarctica cruise I know (and the ones I did) actually depart from Ushuaia and return there.

If you are looking at a "cruise by" in Antarctica with no landings, I don't think the direction matters much and you can choose whichever suits best your overall travel plans.

I should have been more specific. My apologies. We are considering a 'cruise by' with HAL Westerdam or the Coral Princess. We realize it's only a drive by, but that is all we are willing to spend at this time. Both are the same itinerary westbound or eastbound and both include 4 days 'scenic' cruising in Antarctica. Hal adds a few more ports in Chili and it appears they add more in terms of Chili Glaciers. We would add 4-5 days pre cruise and post cruise in both Santiago and Buenos Aries regardless of direction.

HAL: 20 days: (Same Eastbound and Westbound). 

image.png.4d03f1f4aa0e8ea1dd1793b2066aba75.png

Coral Princess 16 Days: (Same eastbound and westbound)

image.png.6338c27c00df2e9ab28ed44d513873a2.png

Thank you for any input.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

17 hours ago, Nitemare said:

More days are always better than fewer days, in my book.

Same here, with more ports of stop and more time in Patagonian channels. Is there another reason that the second itinerary is still in the running? Company, price?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SarniaLo said:

Same here, with more ports of stop and more time in Patagonian channels. Is there another reason that the second itinerary is still in the running? Company, price?

Second Itinerary is only in consideration because we would add a week in Peru & Maccu picchu with the cost savings BUT, we are heavily leaning toward the 20 day. 

With that said, is there a preferred direction? Buenos Aries to Santiago or Santiago to Buenos Aries?? We are leaning toward Santiago to Buenos Aries because it saves Stanley and the King Penguins toward the end  (and yes, I am aware that Stanley is often missed). The easterly direction also works better in our time frame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Second Itinerary is only in consideration because we would add a week in Peru & Maccu picchu with the cost savings BUT, we are heavily leaning toward the 20 day. 

With that said, is there a preferred direction? Buenos Aries to Santiago or Santiago to Buenos Aries?? We are leaning toward Santiago to Buenos Aries because it saves Stanley and the King Penguins toward the end  (and yes, I am aware that Stanley is often missed). The easterly direction also works better in our time frame.

We would recommend the HAL Santiago to BA . We prefer the HAL brand to Princess and the Westerdam to the Coral . The HAL will cruise Glacier Alley in the morning with probably better light for photos than the afternoon for the Princess . Have you considered a different pre/post cruise stay ? We really liked  Torres Del Paine

IMG_7013%201_zps2gelkhdv.jpg

IMG_8730_zpsqzqq3jge.jpg

El Chalten

IMG_7185_zpscb0rmrkl.jpg

IMG_7164_zpsjw8ed03p.jpg

And Perito Moreno with a glacier cruise in a small boat

IMG_8175_zpsqhvegevh.jpg

IMG_6934_zpsupm6jwm2.jpg

This could all be done in 5 days with a 3 hour flight from BA to El Calafate  . We did all of this with the Falkland Islands and Antarctica last December and you can read all about it here :

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I should have been more specific. My apologies. We are considering a 'cruise by' with HAL Westerdam or the Coral Princess. We realize it's only a drive by, but that is all we are willing to spend at this time. Both are the same itinerary westbound or eastbound and both include 4 days 'scenic' cruising in Antarctica. Hal adds a few more ports in Chili and it appears they add more in terms of Chili Glaciers. We would add 4-5 days pre cruise and post cruise in both Santiago and Buenos Aries regardless of direction.

HAL: 20 days: (Same Eastbound and Westbound). 

image.png.4d03f1f4aa0e8ea1dd1793b2066aba75.png

Coral Princess 16 Days: (Same eastbound and westbound)

image.png.6338c27c00df2e9ab28ed44d513873a2.png

Thank you for any input.

As far as I am concerned, it makes no difference east or west bound.  As far as HAL vs Princess, 20 days are always better than 16.  Also Princess probably has several sea days between San Antonio and Punta Arenas.  I hate sea days.

DON

• Like 1

You mentioned that what’s best and what you’re willing to pay are two different things. My wife and I are in the same position. But you also mentioned adding four or five days post-cruise. You should check out the prices at Hurtigruten.no. The price for 13 days—six in Antarctica with daily landings—is now about $1,000 more per person, including taxes, over what you’d pay for the longer HAL cruises. Right now, with the Norwegian Kronor dropping, it’s $10,800 for two next late February/early March.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just booked this cruise going from BA to Santiago.  I don't think it really matters which way you go - we did it based on the room choice since we wanted an aft cabin in a decent location and there were none left on the prior sailing.  We also wanted to see a bit of Patagonia vs just Antarctica since we did the expedition cruise with Silverseas.    I do agree though with the previous poster - if you can afford it do the excursion  cruise with the zodiacs.    It is well worth it and you will not be sorry you did it.

• Like 1

Whichever way is cheaper.  I am looking at an Azamara cruise that does this route and stops at the same ports going and coming.  However, one way (I forget which one) was significantly cheaper than the other.  Same ship; same ports; big difference in price.  Go figure.

DON

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...