Best of free included desserts?

Jaxweb

2 hours ago, Jaxweb said:

Yes, any taste is subjective, but there is a way you expect certain things to taste. 

There was a post stating the free cheesecake was lower quality than a Jello No Bake version and that many desserts used gelatin as a filler to make them look good, but made the item taste bland and cheap. 

Looks fancy, but tastes like packaged sweets from a Dollar Store. 

So, the NY Cheesecake is not dense and smooth, like real NY Cheesecake. It's light and fluffy. It's good, but if you are expecting the other, you will be disappointed.

The MDR apple pie is quite good. The creme brulee is lovely, too.

At Cafe Al Bacio, the mini lemon tarts are mouth watering. Most of that stuff in the case is good.

The cinnamon and chocolate frosted donuts, which are served some mornings in the buffet and Al Bacio, are fabulous. They are sometimes put out at tea time, too. 

I agree about the gelatin fillers. They do taste cheap. You quickly learn which desserts have those fillers, though.

Edited by Marelaine

I know you specifically asked about not specialty restaurants, but on my Equinox cruise last year, I fell in love with the Spumoni Donuts in the Tuscan Grill.  Beignets with pistachio filling, vanilla ice cream and cherry sauce.  Yum.  Hoping to get some on Solstice on my August Alaska cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep an eye out on the MDR for the ice cream flavors of the day. When they have peanut butter ice cream order it along with the chocolate cake. 

The cheesecake and the Grand Mariner souffle are both really good. 

Cafe al Baccio (is that how you spell that?) has a red velvet cake that's yummy. And a peanut butter and chocolate cake that's the bomb.  The warm apple crumble is way better than the apple pie.

Yes, I have a thing for peanut butter and chocolate! 

5 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

DW always looks forward to the chocolate souffle.  Hot, chocolaty and decadent.  The grand marnier souffle is good as well.

Do you get that in the specialty restaurants or the MDR?  I don't think I've seen souffles for dessert in the MDR.  Oh, wait....maybe on chic night?

Just now, AmberCascades said:

Do you get that in the specialty restaurants or the MDR?  I don't think I've seen souffles for dessert in the MDR.  Oh, wait....maybe on chic night?

In mdr.  She looks forward to them every sailing and has never been disappointed.  Usually towards end of cruise.

18 hours ago, FLbeachbaby said:

Chocolate lava cake or creme brûlée nothing else worth the calories except some pastries in Cafe al Bacio

I second this.  DH likes the Apple Crumble served in a ramekin with a scoop of ice cream.

I think the issue with the OVC desserts, specifically the cakes, is that they are not sugar bombs most Americans are used to. They are made more European style so if you associate 'taste' with sugar, you won't like them. I'm not a big cake eater in general but I don't mind them. The ice cream and cookies in the OVC are probably my favorite. I'm usually too full from dinner to have more than a bite or two of dessert.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Maybe you need to just have fresh fruit?  If you are very concerned about calories, I am not sure how you could enjoy any such as ice cream or donuts?  Most of the tasty desserts have as many calories as an entire meal.

There's being obsessed with calories and there's being mindful of them.  As one who has battled excess weight her whole life, I make sure that I enjoy the heck out of whatever it is I do decide to eat, regardless of calories.  But I try not to "spend" them carelessly, e.g. the apple crumble is a complete waste of calories for me.  I don't enjoy it.  Why would I eat it?  

But OP, as you can see, it is all subjective.  I hate most of the apple desserts (not home made, but the ones on the ship) and there are many things people have mentioned on here that I wouldn't bother with.  But they love them.  And I love my favourite things.  And that's why it's great that Celebrity offers so many options.  Watch out for special days too, like "pie day" and "cupcake day", etc.  I wouldn't go by what other people say.  You should just go and try what you want and have a good time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Maybe you need to just have fresh fruit?  If you are very concerned about calories, I am not sure how you could enjoy any such as ice cream or donuts?  Most of the tasty desserts have as many calories as an entire meal.

If calories were the #1 priority, I wouldn't go on a cruise at all.

I just don't want to "waste" calories on things that aren't very good.

The dessert calories need to be "worth it" which is not the same as just completely avoiding desserts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

The dessert calories need to be "worth it" which is not the same as just completely avoiding desserts.

Maybe you should focus on the extra charge desserts - maybe better and that way you could use your OBC to tip...

• Like 2

My favorite is the tres leches cake at Café al Bacio. It's sweet, creamy, fluffy, and delicious. The crème brulee is also excellent. And I agree that the little "donuts" in Tuscan grill are good, as is the pistachio creme brulee. The specialty dessert of the day (pie or cupcakes come to mind) in the OV Buffet is usually good too. Honestly though by day 4 or 5 I'm looking for the smallest serving of dessert to share with DH once a day, if that. There's a lot of every kind of food. It get to be a bit much about halfway through the week! lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

They may be "included" but, don't forget to tip.

A little help on this one... as a first time cruiser. Do I walk up to Cafe al Bacio, request a slice of ______, swipe my cruise card to show it's free?, then hand them a buck or two? Tell them to charge the card a buck or two? Sign a slip? 

I'm curious how the transactions / gratuity system works in practice. 

Thanks!

Edited by Icon901

1 minute ago, Icon901 said:

A little help on this one... as a first time cruiser. Do I walk up to Cafe al Bacio, request a slice of ______, swipe my cruise card to show it's free?, then hand them a buck or two? Tell them to charge the card a buck or two? Sign a slip? 

I'm curious how the transactions / gratuity system works in practice. 

Thanks!

No.  Disregard that comment as it pertained to a different thread.

You only have to pay for drinks at al Bacio, unless you have a drinks package.  The pastries are free for everyone.  Just go up and ask for whatever you want.  Or you can sit at a table and tell them what you want and they'll bring it to you.  Easy.

• Like 3

Just now, AmberCascades said:

No.  Disregard that comment as it pertained to a different thread.

You only have to pay for drinks at al Bacio, unless you have a drinks package.  The pastries are free for everyone.  Just go up and ask for whatever you want.  Or you can sit at a table and tell them what you want and they'll bring it to you.  Easy.

Gotcha! DO you swipe the cruise card with each "purchase" of a pastry (or drink, or dinner, or whatever)? Or are all on ship tips part of the daily "Gratuities" we pay..regardless of what we eat/drink? 

THANKS! 

1 minute ago, Icon901 said:

Gotcha! DO you swipe the cruise card with each "purchase" of a pastry (or drink, or dinner, or whatever)? Or are all on ship tips part of the daily "Gratuities" we pay..regardless of what we eat/drink? 

THANKS! 

If you have a beverage package then the gratuities are included.  But you still have to have your card swiped.  If you have a package then you don't have to sign anything.  If you don't have a package then they will have you sign a slip.  Other than that you just have your card swiped for things  you would be charged for, e.g. in the shops, for drinks, spa services, etc.  You don't get swiped each time you go to the dining room or buffet.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaxweb said:

So what dessert is worth it to you at home?  Cheesecake factory cheesecakes and their fudge cakes run about 1200 cal a serving.  The same as a veggie burger...  An example of what is worth it to you would help people make suggestions.

Fresh fruit like strawberries are about 100.

Not sure about the comment on not going on a cruise, some people actually loose weight on cruises by eating more salads, veggies, and fruit than they do at home because someone else is prepping their food.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

That seems harsh....I love them both....home made peach ice cream with fresh Georgia Peaches cannot be beaten..

Close. Georgia peaches are very good. Palisade peaches, however, are excellent and cannot be beaten! 🙂