Drinks Package now Includes Ocean Cay!

nikkiw60

MSC often takes it on the chin on these boards for being unpredictable or inconsistent, but I think they deserve praise for making this decision (and also offering the buffet on Ocean Cay for free). 

• Like 5

I have to say when I first saw posts about it not being included, that just seemed crazy to me.  I was like why would I pay for that day twice, which made no sense.  We just decided this week to book another cruise on the Seaside for next year.  Quite a way off but got some really good pricing on just an inside cabin, which we are totally fine with.  

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

MSC often takes it on the chin on these boards for being unpredictable or inconsistent, but I think they deserve praise for making this decision (and also offering the buffet on Ocean Cay for free). 

I think I understand what you are saying, but let me give this a different twist.

MSC stated buffet would be charged on Ocean Cay. I (along with others)tried to calm things down on the forums suggesting that we didn't think that would be true in the end. It wasn't, but you can't blame people for being upset and believing the cruise line. 

MSC stated that drinks would be charged on Ocean Cay. I (along with others) posted numerous threads suggesting that would not end up the case. It wasn't. Again, you can't blame people for believing the cruise line, especially over random internet posters.

I can think of MANY more incidents where MSC lead with information that seemed ridiculous (or tried what seemed to be ridiculous policies), only to change their minds later. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the damage to public image is likely already done.

I believe that MSC gets 'dinged' because they are inconsistent. The left hand and the right hand are often oceans apart (literally). I'm ok with offering some praise for the decision to include alcohol packages on Ocean Cay, but would suggest that the better course would be for MSC to carefully think through policies before committing them to writing. 

Of course, like everyone else I am thrilled drink packages are included on Ocean Caye and don't want to turn that decision into something negative. I'm just offering a possible explanation of why MSC 'takes it on the chin' on social media. 

change mind.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think I understand what you are saying, but let me give this a different twist.

MSC stated buffet would be charged on Ocean Cay. I (along with others)tried to calm things down on the forums suggesting that we didn't think that would be true in the end. It wasn't, but you can't blame people for being upset and believing the cruise line. 

MSC stated that drinks would be charged on Ocean Cay. I (along with others) posted numerous threads suggesting that would not end up the case. It wasn't. Again, you can't blame people for believing the cruise line, especially over random internet posters.

I can think of MANY more incidents where MSC lead with information that seemed ridiculous (or tried what seemed to be ridiculous policies), only to change their minds later. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the damage to public image is likely already done.

I believe that MSC gets 'dinged' because they are inconsistent. The left hand and the right hand are often oceans apart (literally). I'm ok with offering some praise for the decision to include alcohol packages on Ocean Cay, but would suggest that the better course would be for MSC to carefully think through policies before committing them to writing. 

Of course, like everyone else I am thrilled drink packages are included on Ocean Caye and don't want to turn that decision into something negative. I'm just offering a possible explanation of why MSC 'takes it on the chin' on social media. 

change mind.jpg

If you don't mind, I'll disagree with you somewhat. I actually see this as a positive. A cruise line is busily preparing its private island, which is still 4 months away from opening. The infrastructure is still being built. It would make sense to me that the cruise line is tweaking its offerings and pricing along the way. I would not expect anything else from a work in progress. I think their decision to offer free buffet food (as opposed to charging for it as earlier stated) and to extend the drinks packages to Ocean Cay shows MSC's willingness to respond to passenger concerns and suggestions. I hope you're not implying that you'd rather the cruise line remain stubborn and not change anything, no matter what the clientele are asking for. Anyway, that's just my humble opinion. As a friend of mine likes to say, "my opinion and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee." 😁

• Like 3

I do offer kudos to MSC for changing the policy. My response was directed at 'taking it on the chin'. I would totally agree with you if this was 'once' or 'twice', but MSC changes their mind about policy on a very regular basis. I can think of a dozen additional examples off the top of my head (vouchers, gratuity, drink packages, experience inclusions, the list goes on).  IMO; It is the the process of continuously being inconsistent that opens them up to 'take it on the chin', as you mentioned. 

It's nice to be able to agree to disagree civilly.  :). 

• Like 1

I recall MSC telling everyone that sailed on the Seaside Inaugural Xmas cruise from Miami that they would be going to Ocean Cay, us included! I remember reading an interview which I posted prior to that cruise where the CEO stated that only those in the Aft Aurea Suites would be able to use the Aft lifts on Seaside! I no longer believe anything that MSC put out until it actually happens or I see it for myself.

• Like 3

I am also very excited about the drinks package carrying over as well as the internet and the Food Trucks along with the buffet!!  I am new to cruising in general and look forward to experiencing all that MSC has to offer!!  I am anxious to see more pictures posted as the amenities are being built and to hear the reviews on Ocean Cay as the first round of visitors post their thoughts.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do offer kudos to MSC for changing the policy. My response was directed at 'taking it on the chin'. I would totally agree with you if this was 'once' or 'twice', but MSC changes their mind about policy on a very regular basis. I can think of a dozen additional examples off the top of my head (vouchers, gratuity, drink packages, experience inclusions, the list goes on).  IMO; It is the the process of continuously being inconsistent that opens them up to 'take it on the chin', as you mentioned. 

It's nice to be able to agree to disagree civilly.  :). 

Totally right, there have been MANY changes. One of the most baffling to me is the wide disparity in fares depending which country's website you use. I've never seen anything like it. And the constant changes to the drinks packages, that's another one that gets my goat. I don't mind the cruise line making changes, as long as the passenger always benefits (he said, selfishly). 😄

But I can't deny I'm very excited about cruising in the Yacht Club this December. And their fares are still pretty competitive. But yeah, the inconsistency IS frustrating. Maybe the Ocean Cay thing is a marketing ploy: tell people they'll have to pay extra for something they thought would be free, then DO offer it for free and now look like you're being generous. 😂

• Like 1

I've said for years that I think MSC is at a disadvantage when compared to other cruise lines due to language barriers within the company. No excuses, but I do think it's in play. At least I would like to think the language barriers cause some of the inconsistencies; otherwise MSC is being operated by incompetent leaders. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

DC ... I cannot agree with you re pricing for YC, I know prices are higher at Xmas but £2,600/ $3,250 pp for our Xmas cruise for 7 nights is over priced for a YC balcony, an Inside is just £10/$12.50 pp less !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidari said:

DC ... I cannot agree with you re pricing for YC, I know prices are higher at Xmas but £2,600/ $3,250 pp for our Xmas cruise for 7 nights is over priced for a YC balcony, an Inside is just £10/$12.50 pp less !

I don't understand this comment. I've read it 3 times and it still doesn't make sense. It sounds like you're saying that $3,250 is too much for a YC balcony, but it's only $12.50 pp less for an Inside. So isn't the YC balcony a good deal, then? What am I missing? 

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

I don't understand this comment. I've read it 3 times and it still doesn't make sense. It sounds like you're saying that $3,250 is too much for a YC balcony, but it's only $12.50 pp less for an Inside. So isn't the YC balcony a good deal, then? What am I missing? 

I'm sure Sid will reply, but in the meantime I think he was suggesting that a YC Inside is only $12.50 pp less, therefore the entire YC is overpriced in his opinion (no deals inside or balcony). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sure Sid will reply, but in the meantime I think he was suggesting that a YC Inside is only $12.50 pp less, therefore the entire YC is overpriced in his opinion (no deals inside or balcony). 

Ah, that makes more sense! Thanks, Bermuda. 

I've been pricing some cruises on MSC for next May in Europe, and I notice that YC prices are actually only slightly higher than Aurea, which is weird. My comment about pricing was based on looking at itineraries earlier this year on RCL, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL and Celebrity to the Caribbean. Compared to them, MSC was a pretty good deal, which is why I chose them. That's what I meant. 

DC ... What BB said is correct, for us the YC is over priced And the Inside on other sailings is much less.

Prices for European sailings here are getting a joke, so much so that land based holidays are becoming more interesting price wise, maybe we are being held to ransom in the £ v € exchange rate.

I get that many people like the YC and are prepared to pay for it, the difference between our Aurea two room Suite with balcony hot tub on Meraviglia plus the old Deluxe drink package and YC is £800 pp, there is not that amount of value in the difference to justify changing to the YC in this particular instance

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sidari said:

DC ... What BB said is correct, for us the YC is over priced And the Inside on other sailings is much less.

Prices for European sailings here are getting a joke, so much so that land based holidays are becoming more interesting price wise, maybe we are being held to ransom in the £ v € exchange rate.

I get that many people like the YC and are prepared to pay for it, the difference between our Aurea two room Suite with balcony hot tub on Meraviglia plus the old Deluxe drink package and YC is £800 pp, there is not that amount of value in the difference to justify changing to the YC in this particular instance

Yeah, that is understandable. We had been booked in an Aurea balcony on the Armonia but found a YC Inside on the Meraviglia for only $50 more (and even the Aurea balcony was cheaper than most of the competition, doing an apples to apples comparison), hence my belief that the YC was a bargain. But I agree with you that £800 pp is WAY too much. :classic_wacko:

• 3 months later...