Future Cruise Deposit - how does it work?

Sailor Taylor

6 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Have a cruise coming up and think I might buy a future cruise deposit on board. 

Can anyone tell me is there any advantage and/or disadvantage in putting down future cruise deposit on board?

Big advantage since you not only have to make a much lower deposit for your cruise when you book but you also get some OBC.  

I can’t think of any disadvantage since, if you don’t use it within 4 years, it is refunded to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ST, I buy them on every cruise I take, sometimes, getting several $100 FCDs.  I find it very easy to book a cruise.  It's tied to your Mariner number so your PCC or TA can use it towards your booking.  If you book within 60 days of disembarkation, you can get the ZPM promo which doubles the OBC that Kazu mentioned.  (You'd also get this same double OBC if you actually book a cruise onboard.)  But, for me, the flexibility is key.  I can book when I want and not sit around on my vacation at a desk booking a cruise with, often less than stellar, Future Cruise Consultants.

We can chat more on our cruise (or in Boston), if you like.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

ST, I buy them on every cruise I take, sometimes, getting several $100 FCDs.  I find it very easy to book a cruise.  It's tied to your Mariner number so your PCC or TA can use it towards your booking.  If you book within 60 days of disembarkation, you can get the ZPM promo which doubles the OBC that Kazu mentioned.  (You'd also get this same double OBC if you actually book a cruise onboard.)  But, for me, the flexibility is key.  I can book when I want and not sit around on my vacation at a desk booking a cruise with, often less than stellar, Future Cruise Consultants.

AQ is right on.  This is how I always do it and I find it to be a very good deal.

One nice thing, I often use the FCD to book  cruise that I am just "thinking" about doing.  That way I get to hold the deal I found for the cruise, and also get a better cabin selection.  It costs me nothing to do this, as HAL already has my $100 deposit.  If I cancel later, the FCD just goes back into my account and I can reuse it immediately.

Just a note that you do not have to wait to see the Future Cruise Consultant while on board.  There should be a dropbox nearby with FCD blank forms to be completed and inserted into the box.  You should receive a confirmation before you leave the ship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Thanks guys! 

AQ, absolutely!  I already have a few in mind that I might book on board.  

Look forward to meeting with you on the ship and hopefully in Boston too!  😀

•  

Let's continue this discussion on the roll call thread.  

7 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Does anyone know if the FCD can still be applied to an existing booking once back and if so will they still give the ZPM double OBC offer?

This is just my experience as to the ZPM - sometimes HAL will give it to you if you booked the cruise recently.  I’ve had it added in the past and also refused.

I think they have tightened up on it though.

Haven’t asked to apply an FCD as I usually have them in my bank 😉 

See what others say experience wise, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to ask.

Well - I've heard rumblings that Explore4 will start up 8/1 (whilst I'm on the Amsterdam) but with some changes to the offering vs past years (though not sure what that means in terms of inclusions/offers).  Currently have the "Early Booking Bonus" offer w/ SBP and 1 night Pinnacle Grill (which is what Explore4 gave last year anyways) and booked w/ the $1 deposit .... so may just create a new res for same sailing onboard if Explore4/pricing as good as what we have so we can get the extra OBC :)  This is for the 2/24/21 Zuiderdam Partial canal cruise we are doing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just a note that you do not have to wait to see the Future Cruise Consultant while on board.  There should be a dropbox nearby with FCD blank forms to be completed and inserted into the box.  You should receive a confirmation before you leave the ship. 

Wow, Roger, thanks so much for mentioning this! The FCConsultants I have observed and eavesdropped on have been so objectionable in their attitudes*, I passed up making an appointment. Next time I will do as you direct!

* in STARK contrast to almost every other crew member!

Edited by crystalspin

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Wow, Roger, thanks so much for mentioning this! The FCConsultants I have observed and eavesdropped on have been so objectionable in their attitudes*, I passed up making an appointment. Next time I will do as you direct!

* in STARK contrast to almost every other crew member!

Just look for this near the Future Cruise Consultant desk with the blank forms nearby:

image.png.f80dd0e3fe1500ae5346ce6c06a84626.png

Edited by Crew News

I have found that some of the cruise consultants are very sloppy about how they fill out these forms, so be sure to check out your copy when you get them (either onboard or via email).

I also agree that some of these consultants can be very curt/rude (others are great however), so I tend to avoid them.  

• Like 1

We bought a future cruise deposit in 2017. Circumstances since have ruled out the possibility of another cruise within the foreseeable future. Can anybody advise on how I go about requesting a refund of my deposit?

Cheers,

Bev

7 minutes ago, Beejay4016 said:

We bought a future cruise deposit in 2017. Circumstances since have ruled out the possibility of another cruise within the foreseeable future. Can anybody advise on how I go about requesting a refund of my deposit?

Cheers,

Bev

FCD’s are good for 4 years.  If it is not used by that time, it will automatically be refunded to you.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

FCD’s are good for 4 years.  If it is not used by that time, it will automatically be refunded to you.

If one knows that one is not going on a cruise within the next two years (based on a 2017 purchase), can one request their refund earlier?  I've not tried that.  Fortunately, I haven't had to yet but it has crossed my mind as I purchase the FCDs for my mother and, given her age, neither one of us knows how much longer she'll be cruising.

And following that thought, what would happen when she (eventually) passes away?  The refund would come to me, since I paid for it, but would I still have to wait for the four years to pass?  Or would providing the death certificate be enough to get the refund earlier?  Sorry for being morbid and certainly not wishing my mother an early death!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The only thing I see in the terms & conditions about refunds talks about it being automatically refunded 4 years from the date of purchase.  I would imagine they'd work with you to either transfer it to your name (since you paid for it) or refund it earlier if the person is no longer able to travel for whatever reason.  The only way to know for sure would be to call HAL.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Well - I've heard rumblings that Explore4 will start up 8/1 (whilst I'm on the Amsterdam) but with some changes to the offering vs past years (though not sure what that means in terms of inclusions/offers).  Currently have the "Early Booking Bonus" offer w/ SBP and 1 night Pinnacle Grill (which is what Explore4 gave last year anyways) and booked w/ the $1 deposit .... so may just create a new res for same sailing onboard if Explore4/pricing as good as what we have so we can get the extra OBC 🙂 This is for the 2/24/21 Zuiderdam Partial canal cruise we are doing.

Atlanta Cruiser72- can you share where you have heard those "8/1" rumblings to the Explore 4 startup?  thanks!

On 7/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

We can chat more on our cruise (or in Boston), if you like.  

Just got off an Alaskan cruise last week. Contacted my TA to purchase FCD. She advised that because we have a cruise booked for next winter, policy doesn't allow us to purchase FCD. Is this correct?  Seeking advice.  Thx.

Or, as we did May 2018 after this new policy was in place, we could purchase  FCDs for our daughters (who were not on our cruise) because I was booking a cabin for them in addition to a cabin for us on this summer 2019 cruise (six days from now and counting). I was told this was only good for family members for whom I was making a booking on the same cruise I was booking. I needed to sign a form for this.

Edited by oceanmom