Costa maya sea grass

hilomelko

Freinds just got back last week off Royal and one of the stops was Costa maya,they said the sea grass was terrible to the point of not going in the ocean at all!!we will be going on ncl west Caribbean end of August and have an all inclusive day pass in costa maya hoping it’s not a waste!!same couple said Cozumel was not a problem....any one else experience this Seagrass problem?is it really as bad as they say??

• Like 1

Its a problem on south Florida beaches right now too.  However its far worse in the Caribbean and Mexico.

Just another symptom of climate change

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rotting-seaweed-beaches-sargassum-mexico-carribbean-cancun-playa-del-carmen-tulum-a8978756.html

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

Mexico (and other places) has suffered greatly this year with the sargassum. Resorts in the Riviera Maya all the way to Tulum have had unusable beaches for many months. A lot of people don't know this when they book their trips. It's a major problem and the government of Mexico has spent a lot of money trying to solve to the problem to no avail.  A friend of mine has a sister who booked Playa del Carmen a few months ago and they had to stay off the beach. It not only looks awful it gives off toxic fumes once on the beach that makes people sick. It's also killing a lot of marine life, they get stuck in it.

Not sure how bad is bad but we booked a day at Maya Chan two years ago, and while the water was kind of murky, the day was relaxing and the food was great. My girls (teenagers) said it was the best excursion (having wifi was also a big plus). The drinks kept coming (waiter even waded out to water to bring me a Mai Tai). 

1 hour ago, hilomelko said:

Freinds just got back last week off Royal and one of the stops was Costa maya,they said the sea grass was terrible to the point of not going in the ocean at all!!we will be going on ncl west Caribbean end of August and have an all inclusive day pass in costa maya hoping it’s not a waste!!same couple said Cozumel was not a problem....any one else experience this Seagrass problem?is it really as bad as they say??

Are you asking about sea grass or sea weed. Sea gras is always present in Costa Maya and is found growing on the sea floor. Just wear water shoes and it is not a problem. If you are talking about the sea weed that is washing up, it is worse on the shore and not so bad after you get out into the water, but it is there.

34 minutes ago, texasgirl29 said:

Not sure how bad is bad but we booked a day at Maya Chan two years ago, and while the water was kind of murky, the day was relaxing and the food was great. My girls (teenagers) said it was the best excursion (having wifi was also a big plus). The drinks kept coming (waiter even waded out to water to bring me a Mai Tai). 

Our service was exceptional there as well a few weeks ago.  Food and drinks were great but beach and water were awful

8 minutes ago, texasgirl29 said:

I you are planning to go to Maya Chan, I would just email them and ask. They have a webcam too. 

Just found the webcam didn’t see that before great idea..I’ll check it when it’s better light...our reservation receipt actually says that if it’s that bad the day we are there they will actually refund us...

9 hours ago, texasgirl29 said:

I you are planning to go to Maya Chan, I would just email them and ask. They have a webcam too. 

W have reservations at Maya Chan for Oct and are about to cancel them. Mark, the manager has been very straight forward with us and admits it is exceptionally bad. They are doing what they can to keep the seaweed away by sweeping several times a day, but still we have decided not to risk it. Just our decision. others may differ about whether or not to chance it. 

We were in Cozumel and Costa Maya in January. We went to Jaimie's Blue Reef in Costa Maya and because of the breakwall there was zero sargassum, however we did the Fury catamaran in Cozumel and their beach was covered by it. Also we were in Playa Del Carmen last month for a long weekend and the beach in front of our resort (Hilton) was unusable.

2 minutes ago, hilomelko said:

Hard to tell.. I have Maya Chan booked on 8/15, but since there is a sargassum problem, I also inquired about Jaime's as well, thanks @Cruzn Bills Fan for the recommendation.  Waiting to hear back.  My wife and I agree that we might as well make the best of it at Maya Chan, but if Jaime's has no seagrass, may end up jumping ship (no pun intended)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Hard to tell.. I have Maya Chan booked on 8/15, but since there is a sargassum problem, I also inquired about Jaime's as well, thanks @Cruzn Bills Fan for the recommendation.  Waiting to hear back.  My wife and I agree that we might as well make the best of it at Maya Chan, but if Jaime's has no seagrass, may end up jumping ship (no pun intended)...

Trust me it is not just the sight but the smell was awful.  They emailed in advance and offered a full refund and even when we got off the ship and met their representative they said it is bad and we could cancel.  If you dont wanna get in the water you will be ok as the place itself is wonderful but I have never seen anything like this.   That pic above is accurate, its crazy crazy crazy amounts of seaweed.

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We have a western Carribean cruise booked for late Feb 2020.  Is this a seasonal issue? Likely to be better, worse, or same in Feb/Mar? Thanks.

Here is your answer

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rotting-seaweed-beaches-sargassum-mexico-carribbean-cancun-playa-del-carmen-tulum-a8978756.html

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We have a western Carribean cruise booked for late Feb 2020.  Is this a seasonal issue? Likely to be better, worse, or same in Feb/Mar? Thanks.

We have cruised the western Caribbean any number of times. No, it isn't a seasonal issue nor does it happen often. Yes, Costa Maya has a little more than many of the ports but this year according to everyone we have talked to is exceptionally bad for some reason.

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I am not taking this as the final word, "climate change" we can find a way to blame anything on climate change these days. My husband has a UTI that the doctor is treating with antibiotics: Let;s blame that on Climate change. I don't think discussing what is causing the seaweed problem has much to do with how bad it is or will be for future cruises. Just my take on this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I am not taking this as the final word, "climate change" we can find a way to blame anything on climate change these days. My husband has a UTI that the doctor is treating with antibiotics: Let;s blame that on Climate change. I don't think discussing what is causing the seaweed problem has much to do with how bad it is or will be for future cruises. Just my take on this.  

If you don't believe science that is your prerogative.  This is not rocket science.  We are battling something called Red Tide that is actually visible from space.  Very similar causes.  Whether you agree or disagree of the cause of ocean waters warming.  But its factual ocean waters temperatures are rising.  There is no debate that warmer ocean waters and dumping of pesticides and fertilizer in water is a direct effect of both Red Tide and this seaweed explosion.  This has been going on for years here in Florida and the Caribbean but now its gotten so bad resorts are closing in the Caribbean and its made more news than a local perspective.  2 years ago so many south Florida beaches were closed due to Red Tide.  Never happened before.

See, I just pointed out the obvious which is science based.  I did not bring politics into this at all.  I never discussed stopping the industrial revolution or anything political. There is no debate what is causing this.  You however brought politics into this by claiming you don't believe science and gave some weak analogy with blaming your husbands medical condition on climate change.  You always have a history of bringing politics into your cruise discussions.  There is a problem and major issue at cruising destinations.  Its fair discussion.  Its also fair discussion to describe what is causing it especially when members are asking if this is seasonal or something.  What is not fair is political theater and jokes about your husband's medical condition. Makes no sense.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

If you don't believe science that is your prerogative.  This is not rocket science.  We are battling something called Red Tide that is actually visible from space.  Very similar causes.  Whether you agree or disagree of the cause of ocean waters warming.  But its factual ocean waters temperatures are rising.  There is no debate that warmer ocean waters and dumping of pesticides and fertilizer in water is a direct effect of both Red Tide and this seaweed explosion.  This has been going on for years here in Florida and the Caribbean but now its gotten so bad resorts are closing in the Caribbean and its made more news than a local perspective.  2 years ago so many south Florida beaches were closed due to Red Tide.  Never happened before.

See, I just pointed out the obvious which is science based.  I did not bring politics into this at all.  I never discussed stopping the industrial revolution or anything political. There is no debate what is causing this.  You however brought politics into this by claiming you don't believe science and gave some weak analogy with blaming your husbands medical condition on climate change.  You always have a history of bringing politics into your cruise discussions.  There is a problem and major issue at cruising destinations.  Its fair discussion.  Its also fair discussion to describe what is causing it especially when members are asking if this is seasonal or something.  What is not fair is political theater and jokes about your husband's medical condition. Makes no sense.

I absolutely do not bring politics into my CC postings. I am just a bit tired of everything being blamed on global warming or climate change. I have no idea if this is the case, just pointing out a truth. I was obviously using my husbands situation tongue in cheek. I think most would realize that. Now I think,, both of us have gotten completely off topic. Let's drop it and find another place to discuss our differences. 🙂🍸

• Like 1