Bidding Question...

FaithPlus1

This question is for those who booked a cruise on NCL very, very last minute (like 2 weeks before the cruise starts). Did you get any bidding offers or by this time is it typically too late? I know there is no guarantee that you will even get an offer. 

Thanks

Yes.  However....We booked 9 months ahead for our cruise leaving next month and I didn't receive the offer to bid.  Apparently, per NCL, the offer is random.  Book what you will be happy with.  Thank goodness we did 🙂

Quick answer to your question-  yes, it is too late.  

We booked 1 week before our cruise last year.  By then, all bids had been submitted  and processed. Emails for bidding usually go out about 1 month after final payment deadline. 

we were able to get great price on Balcony Cabin.  I guess after all the upgrades have been processed, they lower prices to fill remaining cabins.  someone who had our Balcony went to MiniSuite.Our booking showed as Guarantee Cabin but was assigned within 2 days. Great mid-ship location on deck 12.

Very happy- we just had to get out of Seattle with all the smoke from the wildfires.

Edited by phissy

First, YMMV - it varies and one of the Calculus element is whether the upgrade categories are sold out and/or possibly available once the domino effects are triggered.

We sailed this May, 2 out of the 4 staterooms were booked about 10 days out - took 2 or 3 days for the offer/pop-up message to come up (as bidding is passed along and done by outsourced NCL vendor) and both last minute booking got the chance to bid (along with mine) ... scored one with a borderline poor bid.  Details/particulars on the ongoing thread for 2019.   

If there's a price drop, it is even possible to call in for a free upgrade or get 25% OBC for the differential amount.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

First, YMMV - it varies and one of the Calculus element is whether the upgrade categories are sold out and/or possibly available once the domino effects are triggered.

We sailed this May, 2 out of the 4 staterooms were booked about 10 days out - took 2 or 3 days for the offer/pop-up message to come up (as bidding is passed along and done by outsourced NCL vendor) and both last minute booking got the chance to bid (along with mine) ... scored one with a borderline poor bid.  Details/particulars on the ongoing thread for 2019.   

If there's a price drop, it is even possible to call in for a free upgrade or get 25% OBC for the differential amount.

I saw something on NCL's website that says if you find the same room cheaper within 48 hours, that they will refund the different or give you the difference in 110% OBC. I seem to never hear anyone here talk about it. 

You can always CALL*** and see if something can be done - watch what you are doing here if you have bonuses

perks OBC and so called free promos.

Bidding/Upgrades go out about 80 days before sailing and are completed right up to 2 days before sailing.

*** CALL IF YOU CAN GET THRU the waiting time on hold is atrocious

If you don't call you will never know what can be offered ?  

Just maybe two weeks ago on this forum someone booked a solo gty cabin about 2 weeks before sailaway, then they tried to assign him a studio, he called and they changed it to a inside, then a day or so later he got the email to bid, a couple days later he scored on his upgrade advantage bid.  Each and every sailing is different, it's all supply and demand. Enjoy your cruise 

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Ugh who mentioned Calculus during the summer???? 😜

Just saying Hi!

• Haha 2

UPDATE:

I book my cruise for 7/29 on 7/21 and this morning I got an offer to bid! I did very low offers since they charge double for me (I'm a party of 1). Bid $200 for oceanview and $330 for balcony. I doubt they will accept either, but I honestly am so curious about what you get when you don't know your room #. 

I booked 8/4/19 Escape a few days ago (15 days before sailing). Just got an upgrade offer yesterday.  I've never done bidding before.  Can you place a bid on all 3 of the cabin options?

Thanks!  Sheri

Edited by sherims

39 minutes ago, sherims said:

I booked 8/4/19 Escape a few days ago (15 days before sailing). Just got an upgrade offer yesterday.  I've never done bidding before.  Can you place a bid on all 3 of the cabin options?

Thanks!  Sheri

Yes you sure can - increasing your chances of getting an upgrade.

You can visit and amend cancel your bids at any time up to the time bidding is closed (2 days before sailing)

If NCL awards bids early in one of the categories that you have bid - the other bids are cancelled -

only 1 bid upgrade will be awarded - it may not be your prime choice of the three offerings.

2 hours ago, CookieShip said:

Booked less than a week in advance and was able to bid. Think it depends on how much remaining availability they have. If they already all booked up then there isn't anything for you to even bid on. 

they already all booked up then there isn't anything for you to even bid on

True but still yet there is a chance that someone might cancel due to unforeseen circumstances or a group booking

did not develop to its full potential.

I have had the opportunity to bid on 3 high end suites and they have been shown as SOLD OUT for weeks on end.

Yesterday one of those opened and the fare was reduced to the extent that bidding would have resulted in my paying

more by the bid/upgrade method - I called my TA who contacted NCL and I got the upgrade for a token amount over

amount I had already paid for my original suite.

See something developing call NCL or if dealing thru a TA call the TA and make a case (a deal) - you may also

score - no harm in asking - the closer to sailing NCL is apt to take you up on it - "A Bird in Hand" beats nothing in the bush !

Nothing ventured - nothing gained !