Help! Ocean View or Balcony?

Chrisclaire

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I would do the OV or even an inside and hope for an upgrade or move-up offer. It will always be cheaper than booking a veranda.

Booked an OV for our recent Summit cruise as the pricing for the balconies was too expensive. In this case neither regular upgrade or move up was successful. That being said this was the first time in an OV (always had balconies) and we actually didn't mind it at all. Going forward we will consider booking an OV and try to improve our lot along the way. Worst case we would be comfortable with the OV.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Booked an OV for our recent Summit cruise as the pricing for the balconies was too expensive. In this case neither regular upgrade or move up was successful. That being said this was the first time in an OV (always had balconies) and we actually didn't mind it at all. Going forward we will consider booking an OV and try to improve our lot along the way. Worst case we would be comfortable with the OV.

Thank you bkbarrym, interesting!

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

ChrisClare - take a look at a thread that was just updated: “Back from Millennium TP -“ It has photos of the OV SR and window. On a similar M-Class ship and is the same as what you’ll get with your OV:

Den

Many thanks Den, this is a fantastic, informative post.

Thanks for taking the time to share it.

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I would do the OV or even an inside and hope for an upgrade or move-up offer. It will always be cheaper than booking a veranda.

Yes- but depending upon your sailing and the amount you bid, you might be "stuck" with the original cabin-  Choose wisely.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:46 PM, Chrisclaire said:

Help!

We are looking at "The Best of Italy" on the Constellation for October 2020.

Problem is, the balcony price at the moment is very expensive compared to the OV.

I can't do front of ship as I am concerned about sea sick, but have never been in OV and never as low as deck 3.

We have been on deck 6 and above & have done CC & AC.

Any advice/help/opinions would be gratefully received!

I also read that if we book now and there is a price drop before we pay in full, we can request the difference?

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.  

Chrisclaire - welcome to Cruise Critic!

We are on a similar itinerary on the Connie in November 2019 - Venice to Rome (and Dalmatian coast).  We considered a balcony, but November is a bit cooler, and with a port intensive cruise (just 1 sea day), we decided to save money and book an ocean view room.  If we want to see sail-ins, we will get up early and go up top to see (especially Montenegro).  We normally like to do a verandah, but it just didn't seem to make sense financially on this cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hey, don't rule out cabins that are forward when cruising the med. Having done over 40 days on the med I can assure you the vast majority of movement is sideways due to wind rocking the ship and not up/down due to swell. Side movement is more of an issue higher up and is not impacted by forward/mid/aft. 

The med is one area I prefer a balcony along with the Baltics because of the scenery and sail ins that can be quite spectacular. Necessary, no, but better.

10 hours ago, DENIE said:

Chrisclaire - welcome to Cruise Critic!

We are on a similar itinerary on the Connie in November 2019 - Venice to Rome (and Dalmatian coast).  We considered a balcony, but November is a bit cooler, and with a port intensive cruise (just 1 sea day), we decided to save money and book an ocean view room.  If we want to see sail-ins, we will get up early and go up top to see (especially Montenegro).  We normally like to do a verandah, but it just didn't seem to make sense financially on this cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Denie

Enjoy also!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nang said:

Hey, don't rule out cabins that are forward when cruising the med. Having done over 40 days on the med I can assure you the vast majority of movement is sideways due to wind rocking the ship and not up/down due to swell. Side movement is more of an issue higher up and is not impacted by forward/mid/aft. 

The med is one area I prefer a balcony along with the Baltics because of the scenery and sail ins that can be quite spectacular. Necessary, no, but better.

Oh, thankyou Nang!

Interesting, I thought that the forward cabins would be a problem.

We were looking at deck 6 & 7 in an OV & ruled it out after reading posts re sea sick.

Curve ball 🤔🤔

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Chrisclaire said:

Oh, thankyou Nang!

Interesting, I thought that the forward cabins would be a problem.

We were looking at deck 6 & 7 in an OV & ruled it out after reading posts re sea sick.

Curve ball 🤔🤔

Cheers 

Been sailing into Lisbon in a 7 forward cabin and nearly tossed off our bed most of the night

4 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Been sailing into Lisbon in a 7 forward cabin and nearly tossed off our bed most of the night

Can't directly compare as it would depend on particular cruise conditions but we found our sailing in deck 3 OV rather calm. Particularly liked the easier access to the main foyer, activities on deck 4 & 5 and gangways.

1 hour ago, bkbarrym said:

Can't directly compare as it would depend on particular cruise conditions but we found our sailing in deck 3 OV rather calm. Particularly liked the easier access to the main foyer, activities on deck 4 & 5 and gangways.

Agreed. I also like seeing the flying fish which seem easier to see from the lower decks.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
better wording

6 minutes ago, Cruise4Twos said:

Agreed. I also like seeing the flying fish which seem easier to see from below decks.

It was also interesting to have a constant view without having to go out to the balcony.

For what it's worth, I would recommend the OV for the huge savings! We've been in 2168 and 2170 a few times on Constellation class ships, and they are SUPER quiet and virtually no motion at all.  So easy to get to and from on port days, as we only take two flights of stairs and we're there!  We've also done balcony, and to be honest, I don't think the value is there for the extra cost - we've never had issues getting loungers out on the pool decks (shade and sun), so we really didn't need the balcony.  Just my thoughts... but I would save the extra dollars for excursions and other costs... if you pick the right oceanview rooms, you'll have great access to everything, silence, and no motion-sickness issues :)

We will once again be on a Constellation class ship in January for over 3 weeks (B2B2B on Summit from Jan 14th until Feb 8th) and once again have booked 2168... love that room!! :)

Celine

Edited by nunuc2000