Penthouse on Insignia worth the price?

meandbc

Enjoy the penthouse space. The standard cabins are small.  You would not find room inside that cabin for a scooter. Even people who use wheel chairs, fold them up. Some are left in the hallway.  The R ships are nice.  They are not fully accessible. You may need help opening some doors. Just sailed. There were several people using mobility chairs or other devices.

10 hours ago, meandbc said:

Ok, decided to go for it and upgraded to a PH.  I have cancer and you only go around once.  I love the R class ships.  I can manage the shower lip just fine.  I'm going to surprise my hubby once we get to the port.  

Be sure to ask the stewardess for a shower chair.  I think you'll be happy with the PH cabin...I loved it!

My favorite perk was being able to order food from the restaurants (Grand Dining Room,  Polo and Toscana) to eat in the cabin and anything we wanted for breakfast in the cabin...we used this perk frequently. The butler was very helpful too.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

4 hours ago, Mura said:

For me, that's not pertinent.  I prefer tubs because of my bad knees.  There are times when I need a good soak in a tub.  When I tore my meniscus a day before boarding we were fortunate to be in an OS on Regatta ... so I was able to soak and use the jets to help my kneed.  Even with a torn meniscus I was able to get in and out of the tub without much difficult.

We're all different...my meniscus' in both knees shredded 8 yrs ago (after decades of long distance running and high impact aerobics) and I've just learned to live with the pain and instability. Hot water doesn't help. But walking into a shower is much easier for me than stepping up into a high sided tub. Either way, the new PH showers on Insignia are very nice.

(I just wrap one of my knees with an Ace bandage and still do 3-5 miles of fast walking every other day plus 30" of weight training...like the Energizer bunny!).  🏃‍♀️  🏋️‍♀️  🐰

Yes, it seems that we are!  These days I don't really need the hot tub.  BUT ... when I've been on cruises the past few years I find that walking a lot day after day takes its toll.  When I'm at home, it's not a problem.

Mura

15 hours ago, meandbc said:

Ok, decided to go for it and upgraded to a PH.  I have cancer and you only go around once.  I love the R class ships.  I can manage the shower lip just fine.  I'm going to surprise my hubby once we get to the port.  

Good decision that I don't think you will regret.

Enjoy and all the best in your battle with cancer.

14 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Mother used to tell me that the worst thing that any of us can be is the Richest person in the Cemetery~ 

Never heard this before but I like the sentiment (and live by it) 😀

Thanks again for the input.  R class ships only have Handicapped interior cabins and there is no way I'm doing one of those!  Looking forward to full breakfast in my cabin in my fluffy robe.... lol.    My hubby will love it.  I was on Azamara Quest in 2015 and the Insignia is a sister ship.  Same layout. 

Will miss Jacques though,  Sailed Riviera in 2016.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, meandbc said:

Looking forward to full breakfast in my cabin in my fluffy robe

It is heaven 👍

Suggestion, though:  Ask them to bring in a regulation height dining table and leave it in your Penthouse..

This made all the difference in our being able to enjoy versus endure the  in Suite Dining.

24 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

It is heaven 👍

Suggestion, though:  Ask them to bring in a regulation height dining table and leave it in your Penthouse..

This made all the difference in our being able to enjoy versus endure the  in Suite Dining.

the new tables look like a good height for dining  ..were the old ones  shorter?

9 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

There are stewardesses (female) and stewards (male) and butlers (male).

I haven't heard that term used in probably decades.  Is that just on O?  I've only heard stewards.  And the butlers are all men?

54 minutes ago, clo said:

I haven't heard that term used in probably decades.  Is that just on O?  I've only heard stewards.  And the butlers are all men?

As far as I know the term "steward" denotes a male so maybe that's why the women are stewardesses. 

Yes, butlers are all males from India.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

It is heaven 👍

Our dining table in an Insignia penthouse was a normal dining table height with 2 comfy chairs. This is post-refurb...just like the picture above.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

2 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

As far as I know the term "steward" denotes a male so maybe that's why the women are stewardesses. 

Yes, butlers are all males from India.

Well, if the women are called "stewardesses" I'll be talking to management.

"The terms "stewardess" and "flight attendant" describe the same basic job of tending to airplane passengers' needs and safety. "Stewardess," however, is an outdated term that has been replaced by "flight attendant" on all airlines.Jun 29, 2018

What Is the Difference Between a Stewardess & a Flight Attendant ...

https://work.chron.com/difference-between-stewardess-flight-attendant-5409.html

Just now, clo said:

Well, if the women are called "stewardesses" I'll be talking to management.

"The terms "stewardess" and "flight attendant" describe the same basic job of tending to airplane passengers' needs and safety. "Stewardess," however, is an outdated term that has been replaced by "flight attendant" on all airlines.Jun 29, 2018

What Is the Difference Between a Stewardess & a Flight Attendant ...

https://work.chron.com/difference-between-stewardess-flight-attendant-5409.html

Whatever floats your boat....my life's too short to obsess over semantics.   😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

then call them house keeping attendants

I've always just referred to them as cabin stewards versus dining stewards.  I thought that was correct.

21 hours ago, Mura said:

For me, that's not pertinent.  I prefer tubs because of my bad knees.  There are times when I need a good soak in a tub.  When I tore my meniscus a day before boarding we were fortunate to be in an OS on Regatta ... so I was able to soak and use the jets to help my kneed.  Even with a torn meniscus I was able to get in and out of the tub without much difficult.

A shower just doesn't work for me (no matter how large it is) when I'm having knee problems.

Mura

Sadly I m in same situation and need tub for soaking,for medical reasons.Took my last R ship 3 wks.ago and now can only book on the large 2 ships.Limits my O cruising and have book on Regent now.

But I agree a shower in HC would help.Just not sure why ALL the PH had to remove tubs,but its a fact and now must switch cruise lines. We had many O cruises and took 1 every 6mos inPH.Doubt if the big company will even notice our absence tho.

I did express this in past threads and even to the cruiseline,to no avail.

1 hour ago, alexandra cruiser said:

Sadly I m in same situation and need tub for soaking,for medical reasons.Took my last R ship 3 wks.ago and now can only book on the large 2 ships.Limits my O cruising and have book on Regent now.

But I agree a shower in HC would help.Just not sure why ALL the PH had to remove tubs,but its a fact and now must switch cruise lines. We had many O cruises and took 1 every 6mos inPH.Doubt if the big company will even notice our absence tho.

I did express this in past threads and even to the cruiseline,to no avail.

Would it not make sense for Oceania (and other luxury cruise lines) to  increase the number of HC staterooms, as their typically older customer demographic continue to age, with increased health and medical issues?   On recent Oceania cruises, I noticed more PAXs using mobility scooters, wheel chairs, walkers, and canes.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1