Empress B2B - 14 Nights on the Biggest Little Ship

On 7/24/2019 at 10:58 AM, twangster said:

The Captain announced there are over 11 million Crown and Anchor members worldwide and 540 were on this sailing.

365 Gold,  84 Platinum,  25 Emerald,  43 Diamond,  17 Diamond Plus, 6 Pinnacles.  Top cruiser 3,488 points. 

That's almost half the ship lol

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

You do know that RFID chips are extremely cheap.  Companies use them for inventory tags

Yes, but RCI may also want to eliminate a huge stock of cups from ships which don’t have Freestyle machines which could be used later on ships which do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twangster said:

It's a thin bottom.   Holding it up to the light it's translucent and I don't see a chip in there.  Made me wonder if they created a cheaper cup for non-Freestyle ships.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Good point.

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You do know that RFID chips are extremely cheap.  Companies use them for inventory tags

Im guessing the hard plastic cups with a thicker bottom may be more expensive but they have space to embed the RFID chip.  

The new style feels thinner, has no insulating properties, seems lighter and feels cheaper.   

• Thanks 1

Day 7 Turn Around Day Miami

Some general observations and housekeeping items...

The balcony dividers do open at least for pressure washing the balconies like they did this morning.

8a5czWg.jpg

The Viking Crown Lounge is unique to the fleet.  Upper ring is the gym.

7pAgZ5d.jpg

Best gym views in the fleet.

FBiq7WD.jpg

Qivwmou.jpg

aSpHAs6.jpg

JClyv1D.jpg

i99pEBO.jpg

Back to Chops for my cruise #2 reservations.  This is the sitting area right across from Chops.

yIjiZEf.jpg

The beverage cups of Empress.  I'm not sure I've seen this kind of variety in beverage cups on one sailing before.

First we have the new but now old beverage cups offered in Boleros.

QBbPMpR.jpg

The old style old design cups that have been around for several months near the Windjammer.

fQtMzHD.jpg

The old style new cups available on the pool deck.

GIP8NLx.jpg

Welcome aboard cake!

ha3itDk.jpg

This line at Shore Excursions lasted for hours.  Have these new to Royal cruisers not heard of the Cruise Planner?   So many people booking excursions on the ship.   

CjZXGPM.jpg

• Like 1

Miami Sail Away

The Crown and Anchor Loyalty Ambassador hosts a Diamond and up sail away behind Boleros on deck 6 outside.  Since Empress doesn't have a Diamond Lounge this event is offered.

Louis our LA is there to greet us.

fxAUc6p.jpg

It's a great covered location to take in the sail away from.

jg58QwG.jpg

Several officers drop by to greet guests.  This included the Hotel Director, Revenue Manager, Marketing Manager and a few others I forget to note their positions.

jlK3wum.jpg

Oh that Miami traffic.  You know it's bad when a cruise ship is going faster than the traffic.

Vxn28GC.jpg

We passed Symphony of the Seas as we departed.

The not so little, biggest ship as seen from the biggest, little ship.   

g11PCBy.jpg

gaGvfpU.jpg

wZ3LNsy.jpg

Cheers and Happy Anniversary to @Lovetocruise2002 and hubster who embarked Symphony today. 

gl09mHa.jpg

Miami beach was pretty popular today.

TVWWkH7.jpg

2lnQ2Rl.jpg

• Like 1

Chops dinner using the D+ BOGO, again.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Gotta love that view.

am5rx9G.jpg

Crispy Goat Cheese Salad.

3FaVIOu.jpg

Grilled Black Peppered Bacon appetizer.

WGEFhkW.jpg

Back to the nine ounce filet.

vY8FeGu.jpg

Ice Cream Sundae for dessert.

d2RgX4b.jpg

Yum.

• Like 1

Despite the storms brewing in the Miami area the seas are very flat tonight.

Gu9f12C.jpg

One thing I noted in the Cruise Compass for tomorrow.  We are changing ship time this sailing, going back one hour after Key West unlike the 1st leg of this B2B when we did not change ship time.

22 hours ago, twangster said:

I received a different new style on the 1st leg.  No handle, but soft like the new style.  Big bendy straw.  Can't see where this one has an RFID chip embedded.  

1601150213_EmpressDay7mid-1.jpg.e7ad5032acdd1473f2e1d3d2c3ee211b.jpg

They also had the hard plastic ones on the 1st leg but not in the 50th theme.  So it's like there are 3 different versions on the ship right now.  

This is what we had on Navigator in late June.

Day 8, Cruise 2 Day 2 - Sunrise

I went to bed early and woke early in time to catch the sunrise.  A sliver of a moon was high above us.

iR89gs7.jpg

54mLHJC.jpg

52lavm2.jpg

mf6IdwP.jpg

I know people like to sleep in but this is often a great time to see the awe of sunrise.

rZ2fzdU.jpg

x5R8bTz.jpg

4cN1BBM.jpg

In the distance the tall towering clouds would sparkle with a bolt of lightning occasionally.  

haR1Vmw.jpg

As it became brighter some fellow sunrise enthusiasts ventured out.

TxB8W9l.jpg

The rising sun started to highlight the clouds even before it peaked up above the horizon.

wzEvifo.jpg

GrAR1VR.jpg

WAlUHcG.jpg

1UYZUJp.jpg

CzxZLwu.jpg

Jdam07c.jpg

• Like 1

Finally the sun started to breach the horizon.

L4YnPVL.jpg

uZGSD6D.jpg

AbE2jIj.jpg

We had been following another ship into port and I was thinking it might slip into the prime

Mallory Square location leaving us possibly at the Naval pier but it appears the first ship in got the Naval pier.  

XYn6dky.jpg

On the bridge wing display you can see just how narrow the shipping channel into Key West actually is.   

KKtO0Vu.jpg

The sun ventured behind a cloud briefly.

ORX3l4g.jpg

TWrODnX.jpg

It's the Celebrity Equinox!

HxlH3AD.jpg

With another ship arriving behind us that meant we had a good chance at Mallory Square again.

i1vWFpI.jpg

Indeed Mallory Square for a second trip in a row.

7qK1VH3.jpg

EJWhcNm.jpg

EfEexBs.jpg

Edited by twangster

The ship arriving after us grew larger and I started to see an outline of a Viking Crown Lounge.

7ArEnLu.jpg

The unmistakable outline of a Sovereign class ship.

Majesty of the Seas.

LWqswro.jpg

VKluYcD.jpg

Looks like RCCL is going to own the port today.

x7OzPsK.jpg

Majesty is distinctly larger than Empress but also displaced from Cuba.

Kenneth my cabin attendant dropped of some mail this morning.  Apparently I'm invited to the Hotel Director's Table for formal night on day 3.  When I packed for this cruise I brought my scuba gear which took a lot of space (and weight).  As a compromise I packed mostly casual type clothes planning on using the WindJammer a lot.  This wasn't a great cruise to leave anything dressy at home so off I went into Key West to find something that will allow me to "Dress to Impress". 

Hint - Key West is a laid back, not so dressy town.  It's wasn't easy finding something.  Lots of t-shirt shops, not so many dress shirts and dinner jackets to be had.

Had a slice of Key Lime Pie while I was off.  Yum.

Some pictures of Majesty while I was off.

1NZKlev.jpg

zKYBjPM.jpg

Also I thought more about the new now old beverage cup.  Looking from the inside out I couldn't see an RFID chip.

CEE8bQb.jpg

However looking from the outside into the bottom when backlit I can see a rectangular antenna near the center and a dark mass to the right of it that I believe to be the chip.

XMwPyOw.jpg

Not sure why the cup thing became such a focus but now I can move on and get on with my cruise.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Also I thought more about the new now old beverage cup.  Looking from the inside out I couldn't see an RFID chip.

CEE8bQb.jpg

However looking from the outside into the bottom when backlit I can see a rectangular antenna near the center and a dark mass to the right of it that I believe to be the chip.

XMwPyOw.jpg

Not sure why the cup thing became such a focus but now I can move on and get on with my cruise.

I should  have read to the end before commenting!

New conclusion:  RC is just getting cheaper and cheaper.  😞

You are right:  Enough of this, @twangster.  I am LOVING your photos and your excellent commentary.  I almost don't need to go on the Empress myself now!  (j/k - I'm sailing on her in October)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

I went from Allure in a loft suite to Grandeur in an interior on deck 2.  

No problem mon.  :classic_biggrin:

On the Empress did they have a specific place for the "happy hour" like a diamond lounge? 

Or was it just 3 drinks anywhere?

14 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

On the Empress did they have a specific place for the "happy hour" like a diamond lounge? 

Or was it just 3 drinks anywhere?

Since there is no DL the Diamond Happy Hour drink coupons are accepted anywhere.  Except room service.   

Edited by twangster

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Kenneth my cabin attendant dropped of some mail this morning.  Apparently I'm invited to the Hotel Director's Table for formal night on day 3.  When I packed for this cruise I brought my scuba gear which took a lot of space (and weight).  As a compromise I packed mostly casual type clothes planning on using the WindJammer a lot.  This wasn't a great cruise to leave anything dressy at home so off I went into Key West to find something that will allow me to "Dress to Impress". 

Hint - Key West is a laid back, not so dressy town.  It's wasn't easy finding something.  Lots of t-shirt shops, not so many dress shirts and dinner jackets to be had.

Not everyone dresses up. You'll be fine.

You might ask Louis if they have any jackets you could borrow. MJ used to keep some at Guest Services office.

20190716_080455.thumb.jpg.d2ea9180c68a768e9954e8d2d7067118.jpg

Food was good

20190716_080250.thumb.jpg.5b1e5c7b03f506519bd077cfc1c23dfe.jpg

Wine was good

20190716_080427.thumb.jpg.892e07b23ace8a78af828a89f44feb8f.jpg

Soup was a little different 

20190716_080224.thumb.jpg.7b323b3aefc4c5ae14c74cba20127d57.jpg

Guest Services Manager was very personable,  and Julie is a riot.

Dessert

20190715_214811.thumb.jpg.08a60367f9feb8080d6f8dc20f1ec45b.jpg

One thing was odd, we didnt get to keep the menus, they were running low on covers. So make sure you get a picture of it. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

Key West Departure

Guests were better at getting back on board on time this time.  Ten minutes after all aboard time we pushed away from the pier with no names being paged. 

The Equinox was the first to leave followed by Empress.  The rock climbing wall was open.

OcvIxBs.jpg

A lot of parasailing on the other side of Sunset Key.

pUMpC7J.jpg

Another view of Majesty.

flEVyq9.jpg

The distinctive Viking Crown Lounge.

3bGrSpp.jpg

With Equinox clear of the channel it was our turn to follow the narrow path to the sea.

JufPPn3.jpg

Latin night in the Windjammer.

pdKBF0H.jpg

Not a bad place to enjoy a happy hour drink.

by1ssH6.jpg