"King" SIzed Beds

jhp8

This may seem like an odd question, but are we the only ones who have trouble with the converted king beds.  Every night on our last cruise, the bed kept separating to the point we had to reset the bed a couple times per night (since they are really two twins).  I don't remember this on previous cruises.  Is there a trick from keeping this from happening?

30 minutes ago, jhp8 said:

This may seem like an odd question, but are we the only ones who have trouble with the converted king beds.  Every night on our last cruise, the bed kept separating to the point we had to reset the bed a couple times per night (since they are really two twins).  I don't remember this on previous cruises.  Is there a trick from keeping this from happening?

No, ours seemed to be separating too. We were on the Horizon and I don’t remember that being an issue when we were on the Sunshine. 

4 hours ago, jhp8 said:

Sounds like the little connecting hooks may have been missing that join the two beds together underneath (if it’s anything like how they connect them on Royal and Princess).

I always had a converted king size bed, and never had any issues with the beds separating.  They didn't even look like they were two beds pushed together.  Then again, I was cruising solo, and I have a tendency to skew toward one side of the bed even when alone.  So I probably never touched the actual middle where beds connect.  I'm sure there are hooks that hold the beds together, otherwise the movement of the ship would cause them to move apart.  Tell your steward, so he/she can check for it.

I was on Fantasy class ships, but I'm sure newer ships use the same kind of beds.

Never had this issue before.
Sailed the Dream, the Breeze and the Vista.

I'd definitely mention it to the cabin steward if it happened, though.
Might be a connector didn't get dogged down tight enough or broke or came loose.
You know how kids love jumping on beds so the connectors might have broken during a previous crusie.

3 hours ago, jerrya72 said:

Our first 3 cruises no problem, our last 2 this happened every night.  Next cruise I'm bringing zip ties so if it happens we'll be prepared.

Excellent idea! 

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Same here. The two twins are Queen

As I understand it two twins equal a King in width, but are 5 inches shorter than a King. If the bed ever separated on us we'd have a conversation with the steward.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it two twins equal a King in width, but are 5 inches shorter than a King. If the bed ever separated on us we'd have a conversation with the steward.

Taken from the web site

Ocean View

·       Approx. 146 to 206 sq. ft.

·       A spacious picture window for memorable views

·       Comfortable queen or two twin beds

·       Refrigerator.

13 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Taken from the web site

Ocean View

·       Refrigerator.

They don't want to be accused of false advertising but a twin bed is 38" wide, a king is 76" wide. I earned that D- in math in high school but it adds up for me.😉 (And as mentioned two twins are 5 inches shorter than a king, unless you are talking about an xl twin.) (Queen beds are 61" wide, by comparison.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Taken from the web site

Ocean View

·       Refrigerator.

And for grins here is what Royal says about their cabin/bed arrangement:

Ocean View Balcony

Experience a spectacular view for a memorable vacation. ( Up to 4 guests )

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed in staterooms with up to 4 guests
Size
  • Stateroom: 198 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 55 sq. ft.

Which begs the question, are Royal's twins larger than CCL's? (FWIW they both seemed to be the same size.)

55 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They don't want to be accused of false advertising but a twin bed is 38" wide, a king is 76" wide. I earned that D- in math in high school but it adds up for me.😉 (And as mentioned two twins are 5 inches shorter than a king, unless you are talking about an xl twin.) (Queen beds are 61" wide, by comparison.)

Just posted what is on the web site. What is a Royal King? There version of what a king is I guess.

2 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Just posted what is on the web site. What is a Royal King? There version of what a king is I guess.

Marketing. I was just showing that other cruise lines call two twins a king, regardless of what CCL calls it.

Edited by sparks1093

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It still says king in all of the Cruise Manager info. and in the deck plans info.

Whatever happened to double beds? I've always known two twins to combine to be a "double." We've owned a lot of doubles. Sizes went Twin - Double - Queen - King. Even hotels always advertised double beds (some still do that haven't updated to queens).

To stick with the OP's topic, we've never had them separate. Since a couple people suggested their might be some sort of connecting mechanism, I'd probably just investigate the problem on my own first. Pull the sheet, scoot the two mattresses apart, and see if there is something that keeps them together (that might not be hooked).

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

A double mattress (also called a "full") is 54 inches in width. Twins are 38 to 39 inches in width, so two twins are equivalent to a king in width.